Fly Rods - Interior Solutions? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I use my 1969 FJ40 for fly fishing up into the mountains (rough 4x4 "roads"). I don't mind uncoupling my fly rods for travel but I prefer to not have to break them down all the way and put into their protective cases. Has anyone found or made a good solution (like interior roof clips, etc.) without having to drill holes into the side walls or roof? I am the original owner and have kept everything like it was in 1969 and prefer to keep it that way. Thanks for any proven solutions or ideas!

Last edited:
I also treat my rods as tools, meant to be used, but on the same token I am extremely anal about them and take great care of them. Every winter I clean them from end to end with alcohol and search for any dings, cracks, or anything of concern.

I'm not a fan of broken rods.
This. Tools, not jewels. I try my damnedest not to break them but I definitely don't baby them, either.

Seemed to work ok on Sunday.

PXL_20220724_023315752~2.jpg

Really? Man, mine scuffs the crap out of the epoxy on the wraps around the guides. I think there's some sort of lining inside the aluminum tubes, but they still get scuffed up.
Do you have yours mounted so the rods ride on their backs or with the guides down?

Do you have yours mounted so the rods ride on their backs or with the guides down?
Yep. I think the reel weight might push the side opposite the guides against the top of the tube. Not sure, but that's where the scuffs show up. Purely cosmetic, but annoying. They also get scuffed up from sitting in the slots on my driftboat. Like you said, they're tools, so no big deal. I wipe them down with Boeshield once or twice a season to keep the guides nice and most of the scuffs disappear.

I'm not a fly fisherman, so this may not apply, but I keep our saltwater rods in rod socks, which are mesh sleeves that help keep the rods from abrasions or scuffing while not in use. Ours are St. Croix.

Yep. I make my own Rod Socks out of bulk net jacket material. You can make 5-6 of them from a spool for about the same price as one or two Rod Socks, and you can make whatever size you want. Works great.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom