My Turn - The Mega Dream Garage (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I think that's the general plan of attack, however I skipped step 2 thru 4 and went straight to stuffing it full of everything I had laying around, a bunch of stuff I didn't know I needed and all the things my lovely bride didn't want in the house anymore.

Yep. Working on getting insulation. I am going to build a mezzanine also - that will be right after insulation. :princess: says I should do it L shaped but I have not decided on that yet. I am batting around finishing the walls with some metal a co-worker has piled up on his farm and then putting the electrics in conduit outside the walls.
I also am going to get gutters installed to mitigate erosion on the back side and catch water on the front so save. I also need to do some grading.

Growing up on the farm, I saw many shops that got no further than stage 1 investment but saw continuous service.
Congratulations.

... putting the electrics in conduit outside the walls.
I saw you mention this before. Why not put them in conduit on the inside? Not sure I would want to mess up that exterior façade with conduit but maybe there's some advantage that I'm not getting.

Looks great by the way. Congrats on getting it dried in. I don't think that metal will stain with Georgia red clay but you can always throw some pine straw or hay down to mitigate the splash on the dirt side if it's a concern.

I saw you mention this before. Why not put them in conduit on the inside? Not sure I would want to mess up that exterior façade with conduit but maybe there's some advantage that I'm not getting.

I believe he's saying run the conduit on the interior walls, not inside the walls.

Conduit is easy to change/reconfigure. I've built a couple shops. My shop is a machine shop. Lots of electrified things. Things are always moving/evolving. So it makes sense to have electrical that isn't a nightmare to change. In my current building I ran two 3 phase arteries of Square D Busway down the shop lengthwise inline with the crane support columns. Everything using heavy power pulls it from the busway. There's no breaker panel. Each circuit has it's own disconnect switch and fuses. Very easy to shut a circuit down, take down conduit, move a machine, reassemble conduit.

I believe he's saying run the conduit on the interior walls, not inside the walls.

Conduit is easy to change/reconfigure. I've built a couple shops. My shop is a machine shop. Lots of electrified things. Things are always moving/evolving. So it makes sense to have electrical that isn't a nightmare to change. In my current building I ran two 3 phase arteries of Square D Busway down the shop lengthwise inline with the crane support columns. Everything using heavy power pulls it from the busway. There's no breaker panel. Each circuit has it's own disconnect switch and fuses. Very easy to shut a circuit down, take down conduit, move a machine, reassemble conduit.
I certainly understand the advantages of conduit. I was just questioning inside vs outside. I agree with you that I probably misinterpreted though and he means outside the inside walls.

I certainly understand the advantages of conduit. I was just questioning inside vs outside. I agree with you that I probably misinterpreted though and he means outside the inside walls.
Correct. Not outside the building, just not between the walls in the insulated airspace. Outside the inside walls. I will likely run some pipe as a manifold for my air compressor the same way.

IMG-20220725-WA0003.jpg

:princess: got me a sign.
Named for the amount of rock I dug up to prep the site. Every day I told here, "Going out to dig in the quarry."

Spray foam hopefully by the end of the week. 2 inches closed cell ceiling and walls. Got three quotes. All close to one another. Taking the one that actually came and looked at the job and deducted for all the doors and windows rather than guessed at it.

How did they price out the foam - sq ft or just eyeball it? I've got a barn I'd like to get spray foamed but don't have the slightest idea what costs may be like.

Oh, and Martha Berry approves!
He measured everything - refused to take my word for it. Deducted for all doors and windows. Then knocked 1% off which ensured he would beat everybody else. On top of that said he could do it this week as he just had a cancellation because a guy did not get his construction done.

It is not cheap since it is petroleum-based.

Right at 2.80 a sqft for 2 inch. The difference between 2 and 1.5 was really negligible.

To be honest, $2.80/SF isn't too bad considering rigid 2" is ~$1.90/ SF for a 4x8 sheet and with that you would still need vapor barrier, glue and installation. So all considered, $2.80 installed for all of the above is probably a pretty good deal.

To be honest, $2.80/SF isn't too bad considering rigid 2" is ~$1.90/ SF for a 4x8 sheet and with that you would still need vapor barrier, glue and installation. So all considered, $2.80 installed for all of the above is probably a pretty good deal.
And I won't be doing anything but writing the check.

I sliced through my thumb to the bone with a piece of sheet metal once. I still cringe and my testicles shrink up and join my tonsils whenever I either hear about a sheet metal cut or somebody is handling sheet metal without gloves... :oops:

The advantage of the road fabric - or geotextile fabric - before stone is that when it does turn to mud the mud doesn't squish up between the stones and stays solid.

Spray foam guy called - coming tomorrow!!
Gutter guy rescheduled for Thursday AM because I ran into a conflict.

Spray foam guys arrived as scheduled.
When they realized I spoke some Spanish they became far more friendly.
But they almost had a little issue...
20220727_094628.jpg

Truck was a bit larger than their thought box.
Highly likely they will be done late this afternoon. I doubt they will be breaking for lunch as they only have the one truck and all their stuff is hooked up to the trailer.

Today's efforts. Well over 3/4 done. I bet they are done by lunch tomorrow.
20220727_172855.jpg
20220727_172858.jpg
20220727_172916.jpg

They just have the gables and most of the ceiling left then clean up.

This looks great…. My 1000 sq ft pole barn with 2 9x10 foot doors and 1 18x10’ door means it 2 1/2 walls and the ceiling… best price I have is $4800 4” ceiling and 2” walls closed cell. We were going to do it Monday but, my wiring still needs rough inspection so it is out until maybe the middle of September . I have 1 price of $9000.00. Very nice place to hang out ! congratulations.

does the rain fall off your roof onto the concrete or soils?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom