Thoughts on LS swaps? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Looking for some opinions here. I have a pretty clean, stock FJ. I enjoy driving it, but it's lack of power is a major issue in traffic. As a result, I rarely drive the car. I have Prius's running me off the road from red lights and it's difficult to get up to speed on merges for highway driving.

I started to get some prices for an LS3+5 speed swap (37K installed all new components with tax). While that seems relatively reasonable, it's also a lot of coin that can be invested elsewhere (different platform). Then I started to get concerned that I would have to upgrade the brakes and figure out the steering. It understeers and leans pretty good. Brakes are adequate for the HP. Has anyone upgraded to an LS motor and not upgraded the rest of the components? I am afraid of dumping all this money into the FJ just to dump more into supporting the additional power. I am also afraid of bastardizing a clean FJ, although it appears LS swapped FJs have a pretty good return.

Looking for some insight from people who have done this swap, or those that have decided the juice wasn't worth the squeeze.

My 62 didn't feel like it had great brakes with the stock drivetrain. First, I'd figure out the steering. Second, I'd consider upgrading the brakes. Never would I tear the heart out of a fine running 60 series. An inline 6 is what makes a Cruiser a real Cruiser.

You've got the V8 4Runner. If the 60 isn't fun as is, I agree with dbleon. 37K could buy a 100 or even 200 series. Too many 60's get over modified IMO. Someone would certainly love to buy your clean, stock 60.

brakes and steering and engine have no correlation. Either your brakes and steering work properly or they don't.

My 62 didn't feel like it had great brakes with the stock drivetrain. First, I'd figure out the steering. Second, I'd consider upgrading the brakes. Never would I tear the heart out of a fine running 60 series. An inline 6 is what makes a Cruiser a real Cruiser.

You've got the V8 4Runner. If the 60 isn't fun as is, I agree with dbleon. 37K could buy a 100 or even 200 series. Too many 60's get over modified IMO. Someone would certainly love to buy your clean, stock 60.

It is fun to drive. As long as I am not in traffic...which is everywhere. I wouldn't be modifying beyond the engine/trans. I like the stock look and prefer my vehicles as factory as they can be. In this case, the engine is woefully underpowered. The 4Runner is fun, but not as fun as my Trackhawk :oops:

brakes and steering and engine have no correlation. Either your brakes and steering work properly or they don't.

To a point. More power means getting up to speed quicker and slowing from higher speeds more often.

Sell it and buy 100 series .. unless you love the 60.

40k for a motor swap? Whoa

It's not just a swap. There's a new LS engine and new 5 speed trans+ the fabrication and misc components to make it all work. I can shop it around. This was a guy down the street that is heavy on custom fabrications. I went to him to get a rough starting price. I can't see cost being substantially less, maybe 5K at most if I shop it around.

You asked- " Has anyone upgraded to an LS motor and not upgraded the rest of the components? I am afraid of dumping all this money into the FJ just to dump more into supporting the additional power. "

Yes, we do multiple conversions a year with OEM brakes, axles, steering, and consult on dozens of other's conversions a year.

Most 60's are ill-maintained at best.

Are brake/steering/suspension upgrades from stock nice? yes. necessary, no.
stopping from 80mph with 400 hp and stopping from 80mph with 150hp is the same thing.

This is all assuming you have OEM bumpers and minimal additional weight which changes the conversation.

You asked- " Has anyone upgraded to an LS motor and not upgraded the rest of the components? I am afraid of dumping all this money into the FJ just to dump more into supporting the additional power. "

Yes, we do multiple conversions a year with OEM brakes, axles, steering, and consult on dozens of other's conversions a year.

Most 60's are ill-maintained at best.

Are brake/steering/suspension upgrades from stock nice? yes. necessary, no.
stopping from 80mph with 400 hp and stopping from 80mph with 150hp is the same thing.

This is all assuming you have OEM bumpers and minimal additional weight which changes the conversation.

Would you say that pricing is in-line with what you charge? I know FL and Chicago labor rates likely differ. I did reach out to a couple other shops, haven't gotten pricing back yet.

Would you say that pricing is in-line with what you charge? I know FL and Chicago labor rates likely differ. I did reach out to a couple other shops, haven't gotten pricing back yet.

Happy to discuss an accurate estimate privately with you. However my shop is done committing to any new work until probably 2023.
There are quite a few factors that play into pricing.

That being said a basic swap with a H42/H55f and Mark's adapter would be around $10K labor with us.

It's just money, you'll make more.

I dailied my 2UZ 60 series for over a year on 37s before changing the brakes. Plenty of throttle gets used and I've never complained about stopping power. Steering is a non-issue with healthy knuckles and rod ends.

Still driving it as a daily and looking for a 62 to repeat the swap with.

Personally me .. I would never spend 40k on a car modification.. would rather put that money into an asset. But I’m kinda from the ol school Mexican side of town

Personally me .. I would never spend 40k on a car modification.. would rather put that money into an asset. But I’m kinda from the ol school Mexican side of town

At what point do you have enough assets and start spending money for fun?

Touché.. I’m no millionaire.. just a grunt worker.. everyone’s situation is different

If you’ve got the money to spend then find the best shop and go for it. You won’t be disappointed

In your boat.. I’d call Georg at valley hybrids. Period.

I'd find a dialed-in rig on BaT and buy it pre-modified. Some of those 60s sell for considerably less than the build cost.

I actually bought mine on BAT in 2018 (31K, one of the highest as the time). Problem with buying a modified rig on BAT is you really don't know if it's dialed in, or if someone is just trying to get rid of a headache.

V8 60 series cruisers are just much more useful to use and more enjoyable to drive. If it is a emissions compliant swap with cats and evap it will increase the value of the cruiser typically. Non emission compliant v8 swaps can-most times-hurt the value of a cruiser, but are easier to perform and cheaper. Dont be afraid to send your cruiser several states away to have a cruiser shop do the swap. Steering and brakes will need to be in excellent shape but no necessarily upgraded. However adding hydroboost is a straight forward and excellent upgrade paired with a v8.

@RoyB there are several well known V8 conversionists (yea I just made that word up...word up!) here in the Mud community. They've been through all the trials and error of putting V8s in these rigs. Your shop locally may be a badass hot rodder/fabber, but I would definitely look into one of the guys here that speak Land Cruiser fluently.

None of this is cheap, but one of these guys may surprise you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom