Can NOT cut through transmission pan FIPG. Help? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I set out to drop the transmission oil pan. 02 cruiser, so I have the red FIPG instead of a gasket. I have been trying for DAYS with everything I can think of. The only thing that seems to almost work is a razor blade. It's super thin, like hair thin. Even then, I have only been able to get it through in the one corner where it seems like the FIPG was laid on a little thicker and so there was room to jam it in. Everywhere else, the FIPG must have been applied very thin because there is absolutely NO room to slide even this super thin blade in.

I have a feeling cutting it all around is just not gonna work. Is there anything else I can do that doesn't involve cutting through it? Am I just screwed now? If I give up now, it's probably going to leak since I did cut through the FIPG in one corner... D :

I made a tool from old flexible kitchen knife. Works very well!
oil pan 2018-04-07 (4)c.jpg

They also sell a separation tools.
Amazon product ASIN B07171ZQKY
41C-5v9FbAS._AC_.jpg

Had the same level of difficulty.

The specialized tool was out of stock at the time and I got limited results with a homemade tool - bent, ground, and re-tempered stainless butter knife.

Ultimately made the most progress tapping a razor blade into and then along the gap. In some places it was necessary to tap the blade in, pull/pry it out, reposition, and repeat. Absolutely no fun but it was possible to make progress.

Thank you all all so kindly for the suggestions. Will try again tomorrow and report back!! 🤞

It came off! Starting from the driver side rear was the key. Thank you @medtro 🙏

I got 1.75 gallons (7 quarts!) of fluid out total. That seems way more than should've been there? Am I crazy and reading the FSM wrong?

1659580969812.png

Last edited:
when I did a drain/fill it was just under 4qt. 7 is a lot.

but according to that chart even i got too much.

Did you drop the pan just for a drain and fill/flush? @iliveinmylc

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom