Weboost Drive reach RV (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Anyone ran a Weboost off of the 120v power outlet in the back? Just got a pretty sweet deal on the Drive reach RV, so I figured I would test it out. Didn’t realize it came with a 120 plug and not a 12V cigarette lighter plug. I am aware that it will unfortunately not work with the vehicle off. But It looks like it only pulls 50 watts so I would imagine I should be golden.

Is it a 3 prong plug (grounded)?
If not, you should give it a go!

You could probably just buy a generic cigarette lighter adapter cable and use it. I doubt the actual booster is different between the 120V and 12V, just a different cable. 12V plugs are pretty standard, just make sure the polarity is correct.

I actually called them 3 days ago to ask for a specific application in mind and they mentioned that they used to have to use 5V boosters and recently they got the approval from the FCC to run 12V boosters. make sure you get a regulated 12V adapter and not just a cig plug. the Reach RV requires 1.8A @ 12v.

My unique application was to have the Reach RV mounted in a pelican hard case and have the antennas on magnetic bases to bring out of the case. I sometime work out of construction trailers and its like a faraday cage so my thought was I can bring the Weboost case into my office and run it with the external antenna stuck to the side of the trailer on the outside. Also, to keep it in the GX for when I need it while overlanding in remote areas.

There are some physical requirements that need to be accommodated. there need to be a physical barrier between the receiving (external) antenna and the emitting (internal) antenna and they need to be at least 8 ft apart.

There are still some limitations on the internal antenna. the Reach RV has the best internal antenna of the mobile series but still, you're limited to 5-8 ft range.

I have the old 5 volt Drive reach for a couple years. It works pretty good. It still lose reception but it's a lot less. The outside to inside antenna separation it important. I used to mount it on ditch light bracket and it worked much better once I moved it to the spare tire swing out.
IMG_20220529_185705.jpg

• Love
Reactions: r2m
LOVE that swing out!

Sorry for the late reply, I’ve been testing it out since I got it hooked up on a 5 day trip. I mounted it behind the spare, mostly so I could get enough height that it would clear the roof line. I’m going to look at a better solution for the mount, now that I know the Weboost is worth it. I’ll probably keep it in the same general configuration, just create more space for it to move rearwards since branches will inevitably hit it.

I was unaware about the 8ft distance between antennas. I definitely have that currently, but good to know. I ended up just mounting the interior puck on my expedition essentials track, it worked but I might try and find a better solution.

THEOZMAN I’ll take a gander at that 12V adaptor, thanks for the heads up.

E18396E8-AAA0-467B-8D5F-71BD546533EE.jpeg

B557E709-2D84-4416-A6B0-BC08F3288DC7.jpeg

I sometime work out of construction trailers and its like a faraday cage so my thought was I can bring the Weboost case into my office and run it with the external antenna stuck to the side of the trailer on the outside. Also, to keep it in the GX for when I need it while overlanding in remote areas.
Wait, aren't those types of trailers offices/mobile homes made of wood and aluminum???
You may have to bolt a chunk of steel to the side of the trailer if you plan on using a magnet.

In my limited experience with the WeBoost, the external antenna height has a big factor on performance. The higher the better, just getting it above the roof might not be enough. Even the extra 1 foot extension will make a difference. I have mine on a folding mount so I can flip it up only when needed, but I'm probably going to make some type of quick disconnect also.

Last edited:

Here is the refurb deal on the RV.
I'll wire it to 12V (2.1mm connector), and stash the internal antenna under the dash. The slim antenna 314401 is only $25 if the big RV antenna doesn't fit.
Front Runner makes a nice fold down antenna mount RRAC168, I think I can mount this to my RTT to get it up high.

Edit: The 12V connector ended up being a 5.5mm x 2.5mm plug

Last edited:
Not to disparage the WeBoost at all - I know it works. I have the CelFi Go X system installed in my GX and it is absolutely unbelievable. I only have the little stubby antenna that comes in the kit, and it absolutely works. There are Aussie made whip antennas that can be used as a substitute that make the system's ability to find the faintest signal and boost it to useable range almost stunning.

The pros/cons of CelFi vs WeBoost basically boils down to this: CelFi has higher gain, is less sensitive to antenna separation than WeBoost, and the rebroadcast antenna has much longer range than the WeBoost (something like 50' coverage vs 8' or so for the WeBoost) - BUT it can only boost one carrier frequency spectrum at a time. That spectrum is software selectable using their app, so not a huge deal but something to know. It also costs a bit more.

Just something else to consider when thinking about these systems.

Reactions: r2m
Cell fi are definitely beter. It's just the price are double than the already overpriced weboost.

If you can afford it and everyone got the same cell provider then cellfi is the definite winner.

I'll wire it to 12V (2.1mm connector), and stash the internal antenna under the dash. The slim antenna 314401 is only $25 if the big RV antenna doesn't fit.
Front Runner makes a nice fold down antenna mount RRAC168, I think I can mount this to my RTT to get it up high.
I’m gonna take a gander at that front runner mount.

Also OverlandPNW will get you an extra 10% off the refurb.

Not to disparage the WeBoost at all - I know it works. I have the CelFi Go X system installed in my GX and it is absolutely unbelievable. I only have the little stubby antenna that comes in the kit, and it absolutely works. There are Aussie made whip antennas that can be used as a substitute that make the system's ability to find the faintest signal and boost it to useable range almost stunning.

The pros/cons of CelFi vs WeBoost basically boils down to this: CelFi has higher gain, is less sensitive to antenna separation than WeBoost, and the rebroadcast antenna has much longer range than the WeBoost (something like 50' coverage vs 8' or so for the WeBoost) - BUT it can only boost one carrier frequency spectrum at a time. That spectrum is software selectable using their app, so not a huge deal but something to know. It also costs a bit more.

If I had known about CelFi I might have gone that route, I don't remember it being an option when I bought a WeBoost. I am curious how the higher gain translates into real world use out in remote areas. Whether that gain means more useable coverage on a map, or just better reception but with the same coverage as WeBoost.

If Starlink becomes more affordable, I think it'd be a competition killer for all of these booster. But the monthly fee is a major hurdle for someone who isn't traveling full time.

Haven't see you in a while. Still enjoying your rig and trailer this summer?

That slim antenna is what comes with the car version which is cheaper than the RV one

Is this the model you have?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom