Non-removeable bolts on second row seating (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Anyone know the best way to remove these non-removeable second row seating bolts? Thought of plug welding a nut on top but would most likely melt the carpet pretty good. Thanks for any help.

B3A63FAE-F110-4926-9647-8E05BF7345F0.jpeg
0574A800-3B0B-430E-95A8-E123D9165C2F.jpeg
853B8882-21C2-4C20-8770-9BDE78F8CACC.jpeg

Last edited:
Ran into the same thing when I removed my second row seats - why Toyota decided to put tamper proof bolts there is beyond me.

Anyway, I just used a dremel to cut another notch and some penetrating oil, came right out!

FWIW, those are not OEM bolts:
1658706209578.png

the bolts you should have there are:
1658706362176.png

they are the in both holes.
They are supposed to have caps on them, but I've never seen them installed:
1658706488739.png

Ran into the same thing when I removed my second row seats - why Toyota decided to put tamper proof bolts there is beyond me.

Anyway, I just used a dremel to cut another notch and some penetrating oil, came right out!
Yeah that sounds like the way to go. Thanks.

I think it depends on the region. Maybe not OEM in the US, but seems to be common on imports.
Yes this is a JDM (HDJ-81). There was a comment somewhere in MUD about the classification of the vehicle as a commercial cargo van if the rear seats can be removed. That classification raises maritime shipping rates and possibly domestic insurance. But honestly don't know if that is the reason for the tamper-proof bolts.

FWIW, those are not OEM bolts:
View attachment 3067981

the bolts you should have there are:
View attachment 3067988
they are the in both holes.
They are supposed to have caps on them, but I've never seen them installed:
View attachment 3067989
Yup that's what I'm used to seeing too. My first JDM had these but for some reason this one does not. I'm sure I have some 10.9 grade bolts lying around that will do the trick. (wreckers are a good place to fill your bolt bins for just this occasion)

Anyone know the best way to remove these non-removeable second row seating bolts? Thought of plug welding a nut on top but would most likely melt the carpet pretty good. Thanks for any help.

View attachment 3067908View attachment 3067910View attachment 3067911
You can also lay a hacksaw into that same groove where it is supposed to tighten, then cut a new groove deeper so you can use a big-ass flat blade screwdriver to remove them. Then throw them away and use what's listed above.

I think if you look, that is what they expect you to do! but ahah see the the curved part where you would loosen it, grind that flat and you have 3x the area to loosen against! the plot thickens...

Huh. My hdj81 had them.

My Aussie FZJ80 doesn't

I think I cut a groove with grinder too, but I reckon these would get them out

View attachment 3068375
Turns out the quickest and easiest way is to use a chisel and big f'n hammer. Also easy on the carpet. Couldn't get it to move using the dremel method.
IMG_0712.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom