Move to 2016+ LC200 or stick with 2008 LC200? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Sounds like a silly question but has anyone upgraded from the early LC200 to the last iteration of the model? Reason I ask is that the '08 has been a solid beast and I've heard a couple of comments about dependability of the 2016+ models (transmission and tech). Are these comments just comments or is there some reality to them?

Happy to hear your thoughts.

I had a 2008 and much prefer my '20. The brighter headlights and tail lights alone are worth getting the newer LC. The interior finishes are an added bonus even though they are a bit dated but not much you can do about that at this point.

A few people have had issues with the modern nav system, but over the numbers of them produced those problems are still quite rare.

Most people didn't like the 8-spd before the TSB, and many people seem to like it after. But not all. For this I'd say you should test drive one to see if you like it.

Also know that they did add some other complexity.. like the cameras for the crash avoidance system that make windshield installs a bit more work.. but other elements of it are the same as what you have (engine, suspension, body build quality).

Other potential issues.. the steering wheel leather on 2016 is notorious for having issues quickly. The nicer leather seats are far less obvious but over time they seem to be a bit less robust.

I know it's a different category, but I went with a 13 over an 08-11 because other day-to-day elements feel much more modern. Simple stuff like the MFI screen in the gauge cluster being multi-color.. you look at that extremely often while driving, and 13+ doesnt resemble an old CRT monitor. Or built-in bluetooth audio streaming, which I use constantly. HID headlamps.. huge difference at night. And the 16+ LEDs are even better.

So IMO, especially in this market with superinflated prices it may be tough to truly justify getting rid of a vehicle that is serving you well for the same thing with some refreshes, but that decision is up to you. There's also something to be said about owning one that you know the entire history of..

I'd say if you are happy with what you have, keep it. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
With a new car you get higher insurance, higher registration fees and probably higher depreciation.

Free advice, and worth it !

Never owned one before my 2016. I have been in a few earlier 200s and can't really say that small improvements are worth the trade if you are happy with your 2008. But only that is financial decision you can make. Good luck

The only thing nicer about the 2016 is the grill. My 2009 LED headlights are much brighter. My tech is better (touch screen nav) - i dont care for android/apple junk.

If anything Id rather have 2 2008s vs 1 2016.

I upgraded from an 11 to a 16 when I did only because I was able to purchase the 16 at a killer price.

I like the 16 a lot more, better brakes, oem headlights, heated steering wheel and auto cruise control are nice to have which the 08-11 lacked. The nav looks nicer but is essentially the same. The 16 looks so much better than the 15 and older. No one calls my current LC a Highlander like they did my 11.

Still, at today's pricing, there is no way I would upgrade to a 16. Not that big of a difference. You know how well your current rig has been treated, always a crap shoot when buying a used rig.

My 0.02 cents. I specifically limited my search to 2013-2015. That was in early 2020 before TWBSC (Things Went Bat s*** Crazy). I did not like the interior or the safety controls of the 2016+.

I upgraded from an 11 to a 16 when I did only because I was able to purchase the 16 at a killer price.

I like the 16 a lot more, better brakes, oem headlights, heated steering wheel and auto cruise control are nice to have which the 08-11 lacked. The nav looks nicer but is essentially the same. The 16 looks so much better than the 15 and older. No one calls my current LC a Highlander like they did my 11.

Still, at today's pricing, there is no way I would upgrade to a 16. Not that big of a difference. You know how well your current rig has been treated, always a crap shoot when buying a used rig.

2013-2015 does have a heated steering wheel and auto cruise control (nice on 2 lane highways, PITA on freeways).

Have you looked at ‘16+ prices? That might help with a decision! The value proposition of a change is a real challenge right now. I’d vote to keep the ‘08 for at least a couple more years.

My 0.02 cents. I specifically limited my search to 2013-2015. That was in early 2020 before TWBSC (Things Went Bat s*** Crazy). I did not like the interior or the safety controls of the 2016+.

2013-2015 does have a heated steering wheel and auto cruise control (nice on 2 lane highways, PITA on freeways).
I've heard the auto cruise control doesn't work well? Did they improve it over the years?

I use the auto cruise in my 2016 all the time. It is one of my favorite features. I does not work at speeds below 25. But it works great above that. I have nothing to compare it to however as this is first vehicle with this feature we have owned. Never had it in a rental car either but I usually get the cheapest rental I can find.

I've heard the auto cruise control doesn't work well? Did they improve it over the years?

It works just fine. It is great on 2 lane highways where one comes up on another vehicle and then needs to wait for a passing opportunity. What I hate is that there is NO active notice* that one's speed is decreasing. So when on a 4+ lane highways/freeways I find myself pacing and not passing. Which is irksome when there is a full time passing lane that is open.

* I should note what happens is when a vehicle is within range the slight image of a vehicle is displayed on the dash. However, it is so slight that it is a passive notice not an active notice.

Last edited:
when a vehicle is within range the slight image of a vehicle is displayed on the dash. However, it is so slight that it is a passive notice not an active notice.

Exactly. It is slight.

The other annoying thing to me is at least on my 2013 after the initial set, I can't adjust the speed by individual mph.. only to the nearest 5, ie 70, 75, 80. That's the primary reason I don't use the radar cruise, personally.

I usually cruise around 72 to save fuel on my trips to colorado... and am amused by the number of people that come flying up behind me on my trips across north texas.. only to slow down and follow when they have tons of room to pass.. too zoned out by their auto cruise to know they are doing 10 less than before. I've had this go on for considerable time before, at which point I'll start gradually slowing down to see the speed at which they notice. As long as it's safe. I've had people not realize they are doing close to 50.

I am an advocate for adding movable chicanes to random roads. We've dumbed down the average driver to the point of stupidity.

It works just fine. It is great on 2 lane highways where one comes up on another vehicle and then needs to wait for a passing opportunity. What I hate is that there is NO active notice* that one's speed is decreasing. So when on a 4+ lane highways/freeways I find myself pacing and not passing. Which is irksome when there is a full time passing lane that is open.

* I should note what happens is when a vehicle is within range the slight image of a vehicle is displayed on the dash. However, it is so slight that it is a passive notice not an active notice.

I agree; the cruise control on my 2020 HE is pretty impressive to me. I haven’t used one yet that solves the problem of unwittingly adapting to slower traffic ahead.

The only factory headlights that I have seen that are markedly better are my wife’s 2020 BMW x5 laser LEDs.

The tech (and camera resolution) in my 2021 Ram TRX blows the 200 away but I dont the think the headlights or adaptive cruise control are too far behind.

Exactly. It is slight.

The other annoying thing to me is at least on my 2013 after the initial set, I can't adjust the speed by individual mph.. only to the nearest 5, ie 70, 75, 80. That's the primary reason I don't use the radar cruise, personally.

I usually cruise around 72 to save fuel on my trips to colorado... and am amused by the number of people that come flying up behind me on my trips across north texas.. only to slow down and follow when they have tons of room to pass.. too zoned out by their auto cruise to know they are doing 10 less than before. I've had this go on for considerable time before, at which point I'll start gradually slowing down to see the speed at which they notice. As long as it's safe. I've had people not realize they are doing close to 50.

I am an advocate for adding movable chicanes to random roads. We've dumbed down the average driver to the point of stupidity.
The 2016 lets you set cruise in 1 mph increments at any time. I agree that 5mph increments would not be ideal.

For me auto cruise is awesome on long road trips on freeways. I tend to drive 5 over the speed limit, and it is pretty easy to tell when I am slowing due to a car in front of me. It is 10,000 better than traditional cruise, which requires so much more driver input when dealing with variable speed drivers, a slow down in traffic, etc.

The auto dimming headlights are great too.

I own a 2020, and drove my friend's 2011 model for comparison.. both stock vehicles. The biggest advantage of the older 6 speed is zero jerkiness vs my 8-speed, as the 1st gear on 6 speed is tall vs the short 1st gear in the 8-speed. The 8 speed has a tendency of downshifting unnecessarily to 1st gear which is the cause of the jerkiness in my case. We were driving in city, so did not test the 6 speed on the highway to compare..

The 8-speed does get up and goes quicker (feels less sluggish) from a standstill. Also, if going for mods (added weight) or upsized tires, the 8-speed will serve you better. I still think the 8 speed wins hands down.

Did a 8 hour drive a while back and was very impressed with the 2016+ LED lights output and clarity.. That is probably my favorite change in 16+ models especially if you drive a lot at night.

Last edited:
I had a 2008 and much prefer my '20. The brighter headlights and tail lights alone are worth getting the newer LC. The interior finishes are an added bonus even though they are a bit dated but not much you can do about that at this point.
I’m pretty sure you could get the best headlights and taillights ever imagined for well under ~$80-90k. I’d say for $3-5k you could get much better head/tail lights installed on the ‘08 that would bake a 2021 look like a joke.

My buddy has a 2008 LX, I have a 2013 LX, have another friend with a 2018 LX and another with an 2021 HE. Almost no meaningful difference (that should make anyone want to buy a new truck) across them all.

I say keep the 2008 (and your money) and see what the next ~5-7 years brings with the 300 or something else.

My buddy has a 2008 LX, I have a 2013 LX, have another friend with a 2018 LX and another with an 2021 HE. Almost no meaningful difference (that should make anyone want to buy a new truck) across them all.

I say keep the 2008 (and your money) and see what the next ~5-7 years brings with the 300 or something else.

I have a thread in the 300 section on my 200 vs 300 one week review..

If the 200 feels like a 2010 vehicle, then the 300 feels like a 2018 model... not 2022 vehicle material.

Moral of the story is the LC is not destined to feel like a modern vehicle, so best to pick the model year that has the features-to-price ratio you like best and stick with it.

I’d say for $3-5k you could get much better head/tail lights installed on the ‘08 that would bake a 2021 look like a joke.
Doubt it. Even the super bright drop-in LED conversions will compromise beam pattern and likely lead to problems with waterproofing in the back. Keep in mind 08-15 has motorized level adjustment so the bulbs need to be able to move, and the conversions have huge heat sinks hanging off the back.

Almost 3k will get you a set of 16+ headlight buckets then you can buy all the rest of the grille & trim stuff to make them fit and hope the wiring conversion is even possible..

Truly good headlights that don’t just blind the hell out of oncoming traffic are not easy to put together. It takes the resources of a major brand engineering and production department to get it right.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom