The Restoration of a HZJ73V-MES... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Alrighty... Small update. I had a small hiccup while installing a rebuilt injection pump (woodruff key issues) but aside from that it is up and running again. Replaced all the fuel hoses under the hood, and about 50% of the coolant hoses. New exhaust system is on, OEM water pump, Timing Belt, most seals and gaskets on the front of the motor. Started swapping out all hardware under the hood with Metric Overland.

Still slowly swapping out all the interior plastics still available from Toyota. Some parts are NLA, and have some fading if anyone has a good techniques on restoring old plastic.

Aside from that just enjoying driving it...

Till then,
~Al :beer:

I've been going through the same process. For smooth plastic with a gloss finish, you can use a technique similar to headlight restoration kits - basically fine grit sandpaper off the faded outer layer, then buff to a shine. Other than that, the textured stuff is tough, and if it's not a high gloss piece. The best option for the textured stuff would be to use SEM paints. If you need to repair dents/cracks there are tons of YouTube videos showing techniques for fixing cracks or replicating textures prior to paint.

Btw... these are wicked cheap and it doesn’t look like many of them are left. I grabbed a new one for now and then one for like 30 years from now. 😂

3528DEF6-ACEC-42EF-991B-351EEE5F92A2.jpeg

Btw... these are wicked cheap and it doesn’t look like many of them are left. I grabbed a new one for now and then one for like 30 years from now. 😂

View attachment 2568143
Just put the 2 together that this is the same hzj73 that’s still on LCD’s website I’ve been drooling over. Nice job with the restoration, great work so far.

I’ve never had a 70 before, but strongly considering getting one. How do you like the room of the MWB 73 and the power of the 1HZ?

I could have went after any size 70 series but I really like the MWB version. I don't have/want any kids so back seat room is not an issue (didn't even notice that the rear didn't have seat belts till you mentioned it GRunner).

Its the perfect size, not too small where its bouncy like a 40 series can be. Super fun to drive around town and riffle through the gears. Cruises on the highway at 75 pretty easily. But if you lived in constant stop and go traffic an auto may be better but less fun, or if you lived at fairly high altitude the naturally aspirated diesel would probably not be enough.

RHD is fun too, easy to park, turn signal is done with the right hand so you don't move your hand from the wheel if you are right handed and drive with one hand.

I've seen a few complaints about the 1hz being slow online, but in a leaf sprung 30 year old truck its more than adequate. I am also not one to say its the best just because I own it. I have never been a fan of diesels but the 1hz is one of the smoother and quieter ones Ive been around. That being said if I could order it brand new from Toyota with any motor I wanted from them it would be a 2UZ manual.

It is still a very drivable vehicle as a DD depending on your location and having realistic expectations of its design and age. If I could wave a magic wand and make it modern I would want at least a coil front axle, 2UZ, airbags, crumple zone. Still love the flat fenders, metal dash over the newer body style too.

I also chose the FRP top because I figure its one less thing to rust on an old Cruiser, plus in Florida vehicles don't rust from the bottom on up they rust from the top on down.

Last edited:
Having gone from MWB (FJ73) to SWB (PZJ70) and now LWB (HZJ77), I can definately say they all have their pros and cons but at the end of the day I believe the MWB is the best platform of all knowing what I know now. Again, this is just my personal opinion.

I am excluding the 75/78 series troopies or pickups in this mix, not because I think they are inferior or anything like that but because I don't have any personal experience with them.

Last edited:
An inner axle seal let loose so it was time for a rebuild. It looked like someone had done about 80% of a rebuild not long ago but did not do the inner axle 🤨. I forgot the massive amount of work it is to properly clean everything. I think I would charge someone maybe a million dollars to do that job 🤔😂.

I will say almost every axle I have been in has had some sort of water intrusion. I started adding a super thin layer of 574 to the bearing cap and shims to help keep it out. There is also a paper gasket missing in between the backing plate and spindle I add as well.

I ordered the longer brake line in the FAQ to bypass the hardline/softline connection on the knuckle, but it doesn’t have provisions for the retaining clip on the axle side. Does anyone know of any alternative line that has the c-clip slot?

EC4E766A-911B-4EE6-8253-1CAE5155B01B.jpeg

E24E0C82-AC5E-47DC-B5A0-78B219845E8C.jpeg

Last edited:
C3B5D298-9A91-422B-89A4-6CA391A21DA3.jpeg
Small updates… still my daily driver. Racked up another 30k since my last posts. Drive up and down the east coast a few times too. Sand blasted and rust spots on the frame, then did a base and clear coat on it

98C36D5B-34A6-4688-A01B-5D20216E00F9.jpeg

504ACEC2-904E-46A7-82A1-5C150627087F.jpeg

810D332E-8BE7-4505-856A-AB5B64101862.jpeg

Looks fantastic Al!

I love that drive and Mt Mitchell, feels like Colorado up there.

It was our first visit. When we were at Mt Mitchell, the summit was fogged in so we missed out on the views but we will be back.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom