What Did You Do with Your 80 This Weekend? (44 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Got my bumper on. Winch wired. Fog lights and blinkers wired.

Took the kids out for a test run. Found a clearing and tested the winch.

Verified my trans cooler is doing its job.

View attachment 3066366View attachment 3066367View attachment 3066368View attachment 3066369View attachment 3066373

Dang that thing looks good. I hope it was worth the wait.

I didn't know Delta made such a sexy bumper.

What's with the mirror on the hood? That looks like a damage multiplier waiting to happen.

How much money is on that table? I'm looking at a new 80 that has been sorely neglected in every hose and gasket. Hard to imagine doing it all in one fell swoop.

Full hose and cooling system refresh with OEM parts is $2k give or take depending on radiator used.

Expect $5-10k to baseline any good but old Cruiser that has not been baselined.

Cheers

@High Lander -
If this bolts instead of the original mirror, a link will be much appreciated.
Specify FZJ80 on the order and send them a picture of your existing mirror via messaging after you order - they were quite conscientious with me!

• Changed oil temp gauge (was shot now I know I have low oil pressure duh!!)
  • Cried while fueling the car
  • New lights for dashboard
  • Cleaned the interior dash I can actually see the gauges now fantastic improvement
  • Algined steering wheel and sucked at it with OCD it's a problem
  • Radiator flush and new coolant (it was while like milk ... don't want to know what was in there)
  • Changed oil for back diff seemed reasonable
  • Front diff had almost no oil and has way to much metal in the plug not good (need another day to take it apart and see how bad it is)
  • Cried when I calculation how much I spent
  • Cried when wife asked for more money ....
  • 20220723_162851.jpg
    20220723_160545.jpg
    20220723_152438.jpg
    20220723_123932.jpg
    20220723_122151.jpg

• Changed oil temp gauge (was shot now I know I have low oil pressure duh!!)
  • Cried while fueling the car
  • New lights for dashboard
  • Cleaned the interior dash I can actually see the gauges now fantastic improvement
  • Algined steering wheel and sucked at it with OCD it's a problem
  • Radiator flush and new coolant (it was while like milk ... don't want to know what was in there)
  • Changed oil for back diff seemed reasonable
  • Front diff had almost no oil and has way to much metal in the plug not good (need another day to take it apart and see how bad it is)
  • Cried when I calculation how much I spent
  • Cried when wife asked for more money ....
  • View attachment 3067055View attachment 3067056View attachment 3067057View attachment 3067058View attachment 3067059

Be like Derek on vice grip garage and pretend you didn't see it

All I wanted to do was change the O2 Sensor… I’m just gonna buy a new exhaust system. Any recommendations?

View attachment 3067159

View attachment 3067160

View attachment 3067161
Drill out those studs & retap. Replace the studs and use copper nuts next time.

You could try to weld a nut on the one stud with exposed threads too. The other might be difficult to weld a nut to.

Last edited:
All I wanted to do was change the O2 Sensor… I’m just gonna buy a new exhaust system. Any recommendations?

View attachment 3067159

View attachment 3067160

View attachment 3067161
Toyota system all the way. $3500.

Magnaflow down pipe $600
Bosal muffler $200
Re-use factory resonator
All new hardware, rubber cushions, manifold studs from Toyota: $150

Installation: Took me 8 hours to R/R and I broke off two manifold studs. Time includes R/R studs.

I did NOT have to remove my WKOR sliders to do this. If you do the Toyota system, you will need to remove them.

This assumes a 95-97 truck. Anything else.....have it custom built.

Magnaflow down pipe $600
Bosal muffler $200
Re-use factory resonator

Installation: Took me 8 hours to R/R and I broke off two manifold studs. Time includes R/R studs.

I did NOT have to remove my WKOR sliders to do this. If you do the Toyota system, you will need to remove them.

That escalated quickly!

Reactions: MoJ

Magnaflow down pipe $600
Bosal muffler $200
Re-use factory resonator

Yeah… 1992. Thinking about going to a nearby muffler shop and having them twist some steal pipe where it needs to go

The wife went out of town on a girl's trip and said "don't do anything crazy with the kids." So what did dad do...well why not run a section of the Rubicon (Tahoma to Observation point), then grab some ice cream, and enjoy the afternoon at the beach on Tahoe. Under 3 hours from my driveway to Observation Point, so probably right at 4 if we went in to the Springs. I always run it Loon to Tahoma so it was interesting running it the other direction.

Sorry for the J*** in the photos. A buddy (against better judgement) just purchased one on 40s and wanted to try it out. It did ok, you can get away with a lot on 40s.

I've had my 80 for over 11 years now but it still amazes me with what it is capable of. Also got way more waves and thumbs up vs the J***. Kids did awesome, we finally turned a corner at ages 3 and 5. I think they are ready for the whole trail.

52237046598_e5c23544ee_c.jpg

52237527575_ef9a33c811_c.jpg

52236057752_d57c749a85_c.jpg

(the Jeep apparently had better snacks)

52237527370_cbface4ee5_c.jpg

52237047493_89c7596b2a_c.jpg

Dip in the lake helped wash away the trail dust. Unfortunately the perfectly blue skies from earlier in the day were starting to get hazy as the smoke from the most recent Yosemite fire drifted north.

More like the last month...
Escape Gear dash cover, love it!
Scored a free Safari snorkel, now installed.
Replaced the little Hayden tranny cooler with a factory unit.
DBA rotors n pads, Slee brake lines, parking brake refresh, bearings, and Nitro axles.
Camping with the kids!!

20220624_175600.jpg

20220624_175537.jpg

20220704_181119.jpg

20220709_171232.jpg

Converted all repair and parts bills to other names to avoid issues with wife.
I'm kinda lucky, the rig I 'have' is Hers, makes it hard to argue from that position! :bang:
:cheers:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom