What have you done to your Land Cruiser this week? (61 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Popped the windshield today to see what trouble I've inherited. Doesn't see too bad to be honest . Just the usual rust in the corners.

IMG20220720160042.jpg
IMG20220720160108.jpg
IMG20220720160049.jpg
IMG20220720160103.jpg

Ordered two front turn signal assemblies on Monday from City Racer. They arrived today and what nice quality they are. $125 each is more than fair and customer service was second to none.
The 40 year old assemblies (top) were showing their age.
CF0F5BC8-E921-426C-A6FB-E775742DA160.jpeg

The three wire harness was plug and play.
B5B61BD6-E0BA-450D-918D-35A067B3A126.jpeg

All three bulbs were upgraded to LED’s.
F5238047-D382-4941-B7E7-F02D737E0990.jpeg

Really nice quality.
9FA74F31-04A6-44D5-876A-7CF98FD37756.jpeg

Now I need to save up for those Euro style side mirrors City Racer sells.😎

B121F54F-0EC0-4042-B6FB-ADFFDDF661A7.jpeg

While testing for @Wildcat Walker I put my new to me cast iron jack handle (@dmamj) in the tool roll. Replaced the stamped steel one I have. I keep this roll in a tool bag in the back with some other tools and shackles. I have a decent canvas tool roll under the seat, I need to trade places for those two. Not sure what this TEQ tool roll is from.

20220720_194428.jpg
20220720_194516.jpg
20220720_194556.jpg

I'm at 4000', but it's still a big jump. I camped halfway up black bear which helped, but definitely pushed the bike uphill a lot of the time at higher elevations. Of course I was also lacking other important things like skill and fitness, on top of the no oxygen part :flipoff2:
Naturally aspirated diesels will loose performance as the elevation increases, it is just the nature of the beast. I had a 7.3 IDI that would perform much better at sea level than it did at 6K+ but did really good but smoked. On I-80 across Wyoming I could pass the semis on the grades but they passed me going down hill and complained that my truck smoked. It originally had a high altitude injector pump and when it needed to be replaced I asked for the HO version and had to advance the timing as far as I could and live with it smoking like an F4 Fantom jet.

I installed a cupholder from @bhicks in each of my early 40's. I used the late model FJ40 style cupholders based on his recommendation of their size and having a flat bottom. Today is my first day showing up to work after driving a 40 without a coffee stained crotch! I work in a fabshop and they keep me in the back away from the public, so the coffee stains never really bothered me. Small price to pay for looking really really cool driving to work. It is however pretty unsafe/distracting trying to constantly squeeze a coffee mug between your legs, so I'm happy to have eliminated one small liability out of my life.

5C73DC5F-B8A0-4DD2-A168-0495CE173772.jpeg
A1090166-8836-42FA-A79B-113D1027B258.jpeg

363CF1D0-61FE-4AC3-9B9C-C60CA78D68EA.jpeg
5763C21F-4064-47E0-A2AB-053B6F7553C4.jpeg

Bought a new tool and greased up all my zerks.

Tossed the crappy, slimy and sometimes unreliable hand grease gun in the trash, damn thing was from the 80s and leaked bad.

This thing makes quick work of a nasty chore!

s-l640.jpg

Amazon $37

Last edited:
I've been trying to get some heat from my heater core, before it gets cold and I need it. I have a Vintage Air heater/AC. I thought I had an air bubble in my heater core. I bought a dripless funnel and set my 40 on ramps and ran it until hot. Got some burps, but no heat. I borrowed a snap on vacuum system. I drained the radiator, created a vacuum in the cooling system and then filled it. After the vacuum dropped off, I closed the pickup valve and created a vacuum two more times. Still no heat. I disconnected the hosed out of the water pump and intake manifold and held the garden hose on the intake hose. The hose swollen, but no water out the outtake. Rotated the valve manually and tried again. Still no pass through water. I also did both valve setting on the output hose....still nothing. I guess I need to yard out the condenser to test it some more. Ugh, I'm not looking forward to pulling that.
BTW, I have a GM setup, so everything is chevy.

I've been trying to get some heat from my heater core, before it gets cold and I need it. I have a Vintage Air heater/AC. I thought I had an air bubble in my heater core. I bought a dripless funnel and set my 40 on ramps and ran it until hot. Got some burps, but no heat. I borrowed a snap on vacuum system. I drained the radiator, created a vacuum in the cooling system and then filled it. After the vacuum dropped off, I closed the pickup valve and created a vacuum two more times. Still no heat. I disconnected the hosed out of the water pump and intake manifold and held the garden hose on the intake hose. The hose swollen, but no water out the outtake. Rotated the valve manually and tried again. Still no pass through water. I also did both valve setting on the output hose....still nothing. I guess I need to yard out the condenser to test it some more. Ugh, I'm not looking forward to pulling that.
BTW, I have a GM setup, so everything is chevy.
I would call Vintage Air tech support before tearing all that out for some direction.

Cleaned up some wiring. In my eyes it looks better but man the entire engine bay just looks messy compared to others haha

Oh and the fans kicked on within 2 degrees of their set point. Happy with the progress overall.

CB070EE3-31F6-43B4-846C-2F305CACF882.jpeg

Last edited:
Went and looked at a 40 series today with a 350 conversion, 4 speed manual with overdrive. California car originally but spent some time in Mass as well. Hard top, original paint, surface rust at some places on the body, undercarriage pretty clean. Power steering, disc brakes, no A/C. I drove it and it shifted and seemed to operate as normal. Gauges all worked as well. Only mod was a CB.

I would have some money updating suspension and adding A/C. Anything else would be "nice to have" only.

Given the current market and what I described what should something like that cost? I'm in my research phase for a 40. I've owned 2 80s, a 200, an FJ cruiser, a GX470, and currently daily drive a GX460.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom