How far will you go with your wagon (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

In the sound/music side I opted to keep the original AM/FM radio that actually works. Probably use a cig lighter FM transmitter to play from my iPhone to the radio…road noise against the one mono speaker will be interesting.

Maybe think about one of these and some door or kickpanel mounted speakers.

Way late to this thread as per usual! Love it Ron. Really interesting to see where everyone is coming from with their trucks, especially having seen a good amount of yours in person now. Having recently successfully made it to and home again from the "pretty close to home" pig party 22 in NM has given me some insight on this topic. Also having bought this thing half by accident on a low ball ebay bid that went right, I'm not sure I ever knew what the hell my plan was with it! I just thought it was bad ass and had some memories of them in my town as a kid in CO. Probably saw that jack ass with the axe on the murdered out rig a few years back and thought, I could do that if you knock the douche factor down a notch or two (or maybe up a notch guessing by the way some of you probably see me now!). Was actually planning to make a 60 my daily driver and dump my Sequioa. Very glad it worked out like it did and I have both, plus the wife's GX460.

I mostly run the 55 around town. Groceries, kiddo drops and picks, golf course. I've gotten it dialed in to be pretty darn reliable in that mode of service. I'm in it at least 3 days a week and enjoy every second of it. It's like driving in fish bowl! More waives, stop light conversations and even hand waives from JEEP guys, Tacoma guys, new school FJs, and even a new Bronco the other day. I try to hit some dirt and gravel near me when I can and it never disappoints. Would love to do more camping around NM but my wife and 2 girls are not exactly the outdoorsy types, and even if they were, I'd never get them out of her Lexus Prado. At least it's a distant cousin to the 55, albeit hopped up on alien DNA!

My recent run 3 hours north to the Pig Party was the first time I ever went more than 45 min. and other than a few elevation, heat related issues (hope to rectify with a new radiator & overflow tank) it was up to the task. I knew I got lucky with what I bought site unseen, but it really is in solid shape. A few minor rust issues here and there, but not bad at all. The freshly built 2F certainly helped as did the myriad of other new parts I've bolted on in the last 2 years (full brake system, rebuilt carb, alt, starter, new PS pump and box,...sure I'm forgetting stuff). I've gone a little out of stock on the looks with LED lights, new wheels and plaid cloth interior, but the drivetrain is pretty much stock. I still have the 3 speed and love it. Rowing to 2nd just to get it to synchro to shift to pretty much any other gear is a silly chore that make me smile all the time.

If I could pull off more adventures similar to what we just did, with it staying together enough that I could fix 90% of the problems I create on the journey when I get home, I'll be a happy man. I got in way over my head with this purchase but the Pig heads on MUD and Pig gods have been kind so far and I've come a LONG way since I bought it in my knowledge and abilities to wrench on it. Long game is to maybe eventually add some AC, front disc brakes and keep it on the road for a very long time

WARNING! Old codger reminiscing ahead!
I bought this Pig in 1986. I needed another kid seat seatbelt. I'd never heard of nor seen a 55. I bought it on the spot, no haggle. It spent the next few years ferrying kids and getting groceries. And weekend wheeling. Got a few dents, got bigger tires and some armor. Did some long road trips.
Then, the first Pigrun on the Rubicon. Year 2000 IIRC. I got really beat up, we all got really beat up.
Soon after, Pighead's Summer of Many Engines (another Old Codger Reminisce for another time).
Soon after, there was another engine for the Pig. A fine, handbuilt by Pighead, sorta hi-po 2F/F mashup. Took it to Pismo to show off.
Then, Morgan Fletcher listed his doubler for sale in Toyota Trails. And i bought it. How could i not?
It came with the custom 55 tranny hump, triple sticks, a custom 55 skid plate (extremely beefy).
The SM465 transmission to a NP205 gear reduction box and a rare Advance Adapters adapter to a LandCruiser one piece transfer case. Only problem, i had to pull it. Not a problem. Oh, morgan had a set of tires and wheels for the Pig.
Bought those too. Just 35" tires, but 33s are too small for a SOA. The wheels are custom Stockton Wheel with a 2" backspace.
Immediately after, sorta, Pig got a SOA lift, power steering, front discs and stuff. Don, later to become famous as FC Fabrications, did it. In his driveway, before he was famous. I was his launch.
I can't help it if I'm lucky.
Soon after was the second Pigrun on the 'Con. I spanked it.
Since then, pretty much tuning it to be a decent daily driver/rock crawler.
Now running 37" tires, 4.88 diffs, i avoid freeways.
Town (Placerville) is just 10 miles, very pleasant drive on the backroads. Pig likes 45 mph. I don't argue. Loon Lake/Rubicon trailhead is 40ish miles by the backroads. I really can't ask for more.
That being said, i did recently drive the Pig from Denver, Co. to Camino, Ca. About 1.1K miles. Took all the back roads, took 4 days. No real problems.
To answer OPs question, "Forever, just slowly"

20211124_110839.jpg

20211222_132452.jpg

20190902_111135.jpg

Here is an important “mod” I made on the way home from PP22. Duct tape over the wiring harness going through the grommet in the firewall!!! The two coats of lizard skin sound and two coats of lizard skin heat are doing their job well but man that 2F can kick off some heat! Has anyone else used something to squirt in between the wires to better seal it?

62B194F3-D2CB-467C-8073-A73C55FC8CC6.jpeg

David....OEM had a rubber grommet there. Luckily, I still have one in mine. If not still available OEM, you might try your local True Value or Ace to see if they have something with the appropriate diameter and opening for the harness. You're right...that can be a blast furnace without some sort of closure.

David....OEM had a rubber grommet there. Luckily, I still have one in mine. If not still available OEM, you might try your local True Value or Ace to see if they have something with the appropriate diameter and opening for the harness. You're right...that can be a blast furnace without some sort of closure.
Jim - I have a grommet there that I got from Napa or Summit Racing…forget exactly where. It is the kind with rubber around the hole and then fibers that are supposed to go amid the wires but man the heat still comes through. Was thinking of some sort of silicone or something but maybe I do need a better grommet?

Pics " n " Words need to be equal or its just BLAH, BLAH, BLAH!!!!

Here is an important “mod” I made on the way home from PP22. Duct tape over the wiring harness going through the grommet in the firewall!!! The two coats of lizard skin sound and two coats of lizard skin heat are doing their job well but man that 2F can kick off some heat! Has anyone else used something to squirt in between the wires to better seal it?

View attachment 3063949
I have a few spots missing the grommets that I covered with aluminum tape on the engine bay side. not pretty but a good temp fix. I also had to duct tape one of my kick panel mounted speaker housings on the party trails. A little jb weld and zip ties to fix my rigged up air cleaner set up. No chicken wire to speak of though

WARNING! Old codger reminiscing ahead!
I bought this Pig in 1986. I needed another kid seat seatbelt. I'd never heard of nor seen a 55. I bought it on the spot, no haggle. It spent the next few years ferrying kids and getting groceries. And weekend wheeling. Got a few dents, got bigger tires and some armor. Did some long road trips.
Then, the first Pigrun on the Rubicon. Year 2000 IIRC. I got really beat up, we all got really beat up.
Soon after, Pighead's Summer of Many Engines (another Old Codger Reminisce for another time).
Soon after, there was another engine for the Pig. A fine, handbuilt by Pighead, sorta hi-po 2F/F mashup. Took it to Pismo to show off.
Then, Morgan Fletcher listed his doubler for sale in Toyota Trails. And i bought it. How could i not?
It came with the custom 55 tranny hump, triple sticks, a custom 55 skid plate (extremely beefy).
The SM465 transmission to a NP205 gear reduction box and a rare Advance Adapters adapter to a LandCruiser one piece transfer case. Only problem, i had to pull it. Not a problem. Oh, morgan had a set of tires and wheels for the Pig.
Bought those too. Just 35" tires, but 33s are too small for a SOA. The wheels are custom Stockton Wheel with a 2" backspace.
Immediately after, sorta, Pig got a SOA lift, power steering, front discs and stuff. Don, later to become famous as FC Fabrications, did it. In his driveway, before he was famous. I was his launch.
I can't help it if I'm lucky.
Soon after was the second Pigrun on the 'Con. I spanked it.
Since then, pretty much tuning it to be a decent daily driver/rock crawler.
Now running 37" tires, 4.88 diffs, i avoid freeways.
Town (Placerville) is just 10 miles, very pleasant drive on the backroads. Pig likes 45 mph. I don't argue. Loon Lake/Rubicon trailhead is 40ish miles by the backroads. I really can't ask for more.
That being said, i did recently drive the Pig from Denver, Co. to Camino, Ca. About 1.1K miles. Took all the back roads, took 4 days. No real problems.
To answer OPs question, "Forever, just slowly"

View attachment 3063636

View attachment 3063639

View attachment 3063641
Is it my eyes,the picture?? It looks like D/S Rear wheel is gonna fall off 🤔😯😳🐷

View attachment 3063949
I just got these...

20220708_120908.jpg

20220708_122024.jpg

Pighead, Is that antenna on the ball mount at the left rear corner for CB? I have the same ball mount to which I'm contemplating adding a 2M or dual band antenna.

Pighead, Is that antenna on the ball mount at the left rear corner for CB? I have the same ball mount to which I'm contemplating adding a 2M or dual band antenna.
Yup, CB antenna that i bought at Radio Shack...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom