Builds The Story of Blue (5 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

That's debatable! Many times our trips with bikes include visiting cities too. Utility trailers can be a total nightmare to park in larger/congested cities. Wouldn't you think a Tundra with a bed would be more suitable for this?

A full size truck is probably a good solution, you'd be able to fill the truck bed with a lot of gear and could probably throw the bikes over the tailgate or put a few on the hitch mounted rack.

My theory on towing my trailer with gear and/or sleeping setup inside is that I only do it occasionally; so while I found the full size trucks I've owned to be hard to park in congested cities in general, I only deal with the inconvenience occasionally with the trailer and get to choose when I'm inconvenienced and where :)

AKA I just don't go to congested places with my trailer, whereas with the full size truck I'd only have that as a vehicle.

Excursion.
Meh!

A full size truck is probably a good solution, you'd be able to fill the truck bed with a lot of gear and could probably throw the bikes over the tailgate or put a few on the hitch mounted rack.

My theory on towing my trailer with gear and/or sleeping setup inside is that I only do it occasionally; so while I found the full size trucks I've owned to be hard to park in congested cities in general, I only deal with the inconvenience occasionally with the trailer and get to choose when I'm inconvenienced and where :)

AKA I just don't go to congested places with my trailer, whereas with the full size truck I'd only have that as a vehicle.
I never camp - I just don't think camping as fun or relaxing or make any sense at all. But we do carry bikes almost everywhere we go! If it was an occasional thing then a trailer may make sense. Plus, I don't have space to park a trailer.
I am also not a fan of full size pickup trucks because they are objectively worse off road, are much less maneuverable in congested areas and just excessive for my needs. I think a 6 bike carrier like this one would work if I was willing to "downgrade" to a mountain bike!

1658255073160.png

A friend says my cruisers with all the bikes on it reminds him of dongles sticking out of a mac because they removed all input ports :D

This is the road bike I ride everywhere, even when chasing my kids on single tracks!
20220716_165808.jpg

I never camp - I just don't think camping as fun or relaxing or make any sense at all.
Thank you sweet baby Jesus for saying this out loud.

1658263072757.png

Meh!

I never camp - I just don't think camping as fun or relaxing or make any sense at all. But we do carry bikes almost everywhere we go! If it was an occasional thing then a trailer may make sense. Plus, I don't have space to park a trailer.
I am also not a fan of full size pickup trucks because they are objectively worse off road, are much less maneuverable in congested areas and just excessive for my needs. I think a 6 bike carrier like this one would work if I was willing to "downgrade" to a mountain bike!

View attachment 3063348

A friend says my cruisers with all the bikes on it reminds him of dongles sticking out of a mac because they removed all input ports :D

This is the road bike I ride everywhere, even when chasing my kids on single tracks!
View attachment 3063349

Holy smokes, that's a LOT of bikes on that rack, but looks like a great solution for you guys!

Does that carrier not work for carrying a road bike?

Last edited:
Added a little more protection for the rear LCAs. @TRAIL TAILOR sourced LCA mount skids + @turbo8 sourced (he sent a set for "testing" - thanks man!) put together!

without skids:
20220801_121708.jpg
20220801_121724.jpg

With Skids:
20220804_154206.jpg
20220804_154241.jpg

Nothing new to report. Just drive it on a 200+ mile road trip over the weekend. At Rock Cut State Park, Rockford IL:
20220807_143819.jpg

Nothing new to report. Just drive it on a 200+ mile road trip over the weekend. At Rock Cut State Park, Rockford IL:
View attachment 3081330
Did I say nothing to report? Well I guess I jinxed myself because my truck is now having trouble starting :-
It would crank but not start. Then after a couple of tries it'd start and then run normally, with no hesitation or power loss at all o_O

I had noticed it before too, but it is getting more frequent. So the first thing I checked was the EFI fuse. It was just fine with no signs of heat damage! I still replaced it with a fresh one and that made no difference whatsoever.

I have confirmed that the battery is healthy at 12.5v and starter is definitely cranking strong.
My scanguage doesn't report any dtc codes either.

Next step would be to check the spark plugs and coils, they are all new with barely 7k miles on them.

If that checks out then I will have to check fuel delivery. The fuel pump (new OEM Toyota) has only 8k miles on it too!

I am really hoping it isn't one of those electric gremlin type issue that can only be resolved by replacing the whole main fuse box. @JunkCrzr89 I seem to remember you replaced your fuse box not too long ago, what were your symptoms?

I am really hoping it isn't one of those electric gremlin type issue that can only be resolved by replacing the whole main fuse box. @JunkCrzr89 I seem to remember you replaced your fuse box not too long ago, what were your symptoms?
I had the occasional crank but no start condition in addition to headlights randomly going out and the horn blaring for 3-4 seconds inexplicably while driving down the road. Replaced the main junction box in the engine bay and haven’t had a single issue since. Once I got the old one out, I found cracks on the underside of the box and some issues with two of the connectors.

I had the occasional crank but no start condition in addition to headlights randomly going out and the horn blaring for 3-4 seconds inexplicably while driving down the road. Replaced the main junction box in the engine bay and haven’t had a single issue since. Once I got the old one out, I found cracks on the underside of the box and some issues with two of the connectors.

Well that used MTB I have been eyeing for a while will have to wait until next year, one more big ticket item for my Blue!
1660068532357.png

Since I can't drive the truck until I replace the fuse block I decided to refresh the rear shock bushings. These are the last rubber parts left on the truck that I haven't replaced! Having replaced them at least 3 times before on my old truck, I am very familiar with access issues with the rear shocks. This is greatly exacerbated by AHC since the actual 22mm nut is placed deep in to the top cup making it much harder to reach and impossible to torque correctly upon reassembly. This time around I decided to cut holes into the floor which made the job super easy! I spent more time measuring and marking the hole location and cutting the holes than actually doing the job!!
Shocks are now at a local machine shop having the lower bushings replaced.
Parts list:
4853960011​
$ 20.52​
BRACKET, ACTUATOR SUPPORT, RIGHT REAR
9038519010​
$ 1.83​
BUSH(FOR REAR SHOCK ABSORBER)
9094801078​
$ 18.49​
CUSHION, REAR SHOCK ABSORBER, NO. 1

This is what she looks like at the moment!
20220811_101900.jpg

I am also watching this video from Chow Cares to get some idea on the fuse box job.

I am also watching this video from Chow Cares to get some idea on the fuse box job.

Oh, look at me! I have a non-rusty LC I can easily repair... Cry me a river. Also, videos are helpful. "My hypocrisy knows no bounds" -Doc Holiday :rofl:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom