Parts wanted - 79-85 mini truck rear (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.mcdesignsoffroad.com
Hey guys,

I’m working on building a wider centered rear diff for my 40 using a stock center, 3rd gen 4Runner shafts and outer axle tubes from a 79-85 mini truck rear axle. It can be 2wd or 4wd if I understand correctly. Any leads would be appreciated.

Matthew

96E0D3CE-E0A8-4A5B-8907-7246417864B8.jpeg

90AB72C0-D65F-4246-B7EF-9FDE6DCF1862.jpeg

I centered my stk 40 rear end about 10 yrs ago using an 1985 or earlier mini truck rear end. IIR, Pre 85 mini truck rears are the same width as the stk 40, so using these axles and axle tubes on both sides you will get a rear end the same width as the 40. You will also only need to carry 1 spare axle because both mini truck axles are the same length, another benefit is you no longer have a C clip holding your axles in. I pretty sure, if you want to build a wider rear axle you use Tacoma rear end and assemble it similar to the Mini/40 hybrid centered rear. I think the Tacoma rear is about the same width as a FJ60 rear end.

If its an 83 mini truck, it's wms to wms should be 55.5". Im pretty sure If you use that rear-end you won't get 58" wms to wms and get proper axle spline engagement too. With proper spline engagement, It will end up being about the same width as a stk FJ40(55.5"). If you want it wider, I think I've read where folks have used a FJ60 rear and a Tacoma rear which is 1986 and later.

I’m using 96ish 4Runner shafts to get the added width. I’ll weld the tubes based on where the shafts set in the diff.

The bearing ends are all the same.
That makes sense now! I was concerned you might not get the results you were shooting for if you used the Mini truck axles. B4 I welded the mini tubes in place, I slid a section of 40 housing tube that I cut off from the long side and slid it over the mini tube going on the pass side to act as a scab plate, so you can use the 40 spring perches and plates and u bolts. Once the mini tubes were positioned and welded in place, I position the scab tube to line up for the spring and perch and welded it. For my setup its been a great mod. I no longer had to worry about splitting a t/case in 1/2. What driveline are you installing?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom