2023 Toyota Sequoia - 3rd Generation REVEALED (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

It is a nice color to see. I know a few of the previous gen Tundras got this color as well.
I am a little biased...that was the color of my FJ Cruiser. I would also take a proper tan or battleship gray, basically a Trail Teams edition color. The Solar Flare Orange Dayglow is just too much for my eyes.

I am a little biased...that was the color of my FJ Cruiser. I would also take a proper tan or battleship gray, basically a Trail Teams edition color. The Solar Flare Orange Dayglow is just too much for my eyes.

Yeah...the orange isn't my style either. Just like the voodoo blue isn't either.

The Tan, Green and Cement colors offered on previous TRD Pro models will always be classics in my eyes.

I'm a white only car person but the green is quite nice.

Agreed on the white color. I have seen every color 2023 Sequoia in person here at work and at the end of the day...the white one looks best to me too. Every cruiser I have owned and own now is 045 Toyota white.

Agreed on the white color. I have seen every color 2023 Sequoia in person here at work and at the end of the day...the white one looks best to me too. Every cruiser I have owned and own now is 045 Toyota white.
My 2018 had the Blizzard Pearl. I was hesitant to buy it because of that, but have since sold it. In what was the oddest transaction of my lifetime I was able to purchase and use a car for almost 4 years and sell it for about what it cost me to own it (use tax, property tax, gas, oil and windshield wiper blades) for that same time period. Felt good to get the check. Moved back to the my 045 White 2002.

I'm a white only car person but the green is quite nice.

Same here for the most part, we've had a few dark grey vehicles as well. The misses is a sucker for dark blues if she can't get a white that she likes.

Well,this seems pretty official. Specs listed as a 22.5 gallon tank on all models. Disappointing.

5367A657-06BF-4CEC-9B51-F5100E18616D.png

Breaking into the 6000lb+ range on the TuRD Pro model, ouch.

It's the 4x4 not specifically the TuRD Pro, all the models increase by 250# when you select 4x4 instead of 4x2.

I was under the impression that all Platinum/Capstone/TRD Pro are only available in 4WD? Regardless, it's still 300+ pounds heavier than the 200 and direct competition with the likes of the new Z71 Tahoe and Expedition.

I was under the impression that all Platinum/Capstone/TRD Pro are only available in 4WD? Regardless, it's still 300+ pounds heavier than the 200 and direct competition with the likes of the new Z71 Tahoe and Expedition.
According to the specs builder, the TRD Pro is the only model fixed to 4x4 only. All others appear to have a 4x2 option. Even the SR5 exceeds 6000# (albeit barely) with 4x4. However, not defending Toyota on this-- definitely a heavy vehicle. I wouldn't compare to the 200 as much as the 300 because of the new frame architecture, newer vehicle standards, etc. Still heavier by 200 lbs...My guess is the iForce Max motor+battery?

I think the strategy for the domestics is targeted at a different kind of buyer. You can just walk into a Toyota dealer and a Chevy dealer and see the customer base is different. The 10% discount is (I think) an intentional strategy to deal with sales tax. The lender usually won't lend over MSRP but the buyers often can't afford the $5-8k in tax on a new truck so in order to finance the sales tax they either bump up MSRP and then discount it back to get to a net OTD less than MSRP. And then you can sell a $70k SUV to someone who can't afford to even pay the sales tax up front. Seems like a pretty fragile market to me.

Luxury brands almost always lease cars for the same reason. Something like 90+%.

I don't think price inflation can last as interest rates climb. The bubble is already busting in housing. So maybe Toyota will have big discounts too? It's kinda hard to back off MSRP unless Toyota offers a non hybrid. It should - the hybrid sucks. Or offer a good hybrid? But that's another issue.

I see this as Land Cruiser 200 USA part 2. Limit the trims and price it high that sales remain low so Toyota corporate can justify discontinuing the model because it doesn't sell very well.
I agree that Toyota USA's handling of the 200 series was abysmal; the 100 was never cheap but it also wasn't stratospheric in pricing. The fact of the matter is that for Toyota to be viable in the US, they need a big ass 7 passenger 3 row SUV, and they have enough of a cult following with offroad capability that they will always have an offering in this space.

I wish they had pivoted to having some lower trimmed LC300s here, but alas. I'm happy with my last gen Sequoia so oh well but time will tell.

I agree that Toyota USA's handling of the 200 series was abysmal; the 100 was never cheap but it also wasn't stratospheric in pricing. The fact of the matter is that for Toyota to be viable in the US, they need a big ass 7 passenger 3 row SUV, and they have enough of a cult following with offroad capability that they will always have an offering in this space.

I wish they had pivoted to having some lower trimmed LC300s here, but alas. I'm happy with my last gen Sequoia so oh well but time will tell.
Yeah. They need an 18 foot people mover. I think at least part of the issue here is that the new Sequoia can only be sold for about 6-8 years before the emissions targets will require another drivetrain. The v35a isn't super efficient and the vehicle emissions per mile are going to limit the market life. So there's a decent chance it's the last generation of Sequoia as a bof gas engine SUV even if it's a big hit. So if you only plan for maybe 150k units in the product life, how much can you justify spending on design?

Last edited:
Well... Mpg figures are decent. Better than the tundra by a few miles. So 18 useable gallons should get you almost 400 miles. So that's meaningfully more range than the 200 series had. Towing will probably require Jerry cans. But that's not a huge issue IMO. My 4runner was the same. And the Sequoia gets 3mpg better with double the tow rating and 150hp more. It's a pretty big improvement IMO.

No excuse for Toyota to put an undersize 4cyl in the new 4R that only gets 22mpg, but we all know it's coming. :(

Hopefully the GX doesn't get the 4cyl as well.

Hopefully the GX doesn't get the 4cyl as well.
I've read some info from a pretty reliable source from Japan that the GX will be targeted at the G wagon and focused more on off road and have very body sheet metal. And it'll have the V35A. The same source said that the Tacoma and 4runner we're both going to be the 2.4 turbo 4 with and without hybrid but Toyota is delaying finalizing engines because it might be making a last minute change to add the turbo V6 to those as well. Every competitor will be so much more powerful that they wouldn't be competitive with the little 240hp 4cyl. I hope there's some truth to that info.

I kinda hope you're right but I just don't see it. I can see a specific trim within the GX range similar to the GXOR concept targeted at the off-road community, but I can't see the entire line of what is one of their best selling soccer mom vehicles becoming a direct competitor to the $140K+ G-Wagon. I do agree that only offering a small 4cyl. in the 4Runner will turn away a lot of buyers in that segment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom