H42 Clutch inspection cover changes (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Just swapped a H42 + split case into my originally 3 speed early ‘74 model. I’m not sure what the bellhousing came from, but it did have the provisions to mount slave cylinder on either side which I think the 60 series bellhousings did not have.

I don’t have, and need an inspection cover for the bellhousing but it sounds like there were some changes. Is the fact that mine had provisions for slave cylinder on either side enough to know what years I need to get an inspection cover from? Thanks!

the bellhousing cover from 1975 thru 1984 is the same shape, there is 1 bolt hole that is different when the splitcase was introduced also the time the bellhousing mounts went to a crossmember
IIRCC the bolt would be under the front driveshaft, either perpendicular edge or moved around the corner on the parrallel edge
the 3F bellhousing 1985-87 in the US, had a different shape than the previous years

I can send a photo of a 60 series cover on a '77 h42. They are very close but it does not fit even with drilling one hole, but I'll verify again today.

it works if you aren't picky about form. I did the opposite and jammed a already dented 40 series cover onto my 60 series bellhousing and just used two bolts.

Just ran across this thread, i am about to do the same swap (12/73 J30 to 80 H42 split case). I plan on reusing my stepped flywheel and new three finger clutch and ensemble, any other suggestions or things to look out for. I plan on making a new hole in the tunnel but having figured out what to do on the different reverse light switches.

For the purposes of this thread.

Top - 85-87 H42 inspection cover
Middle - 75- ~79/80 H42
Bottom - 80-84 H42 (both fj40 and fj60 I believe)

BA140DAE-4979-494C-A8C8-3185C53D492D.jpeg

2947F17C-F490-46BA-A4CB-C1045F24A6DB.jpeg

DA43947F-AE1D-4281-8FF0-4B8D613D6712.jpeg

Last edited:
wow helpful pictures @mattressking
I ended up making what I had work but next time this would help someone in my situation track down the right cover.
Yep the cover is truly specific to the bellhousing. The bolt patterns changed and became the same after the 40 series bellhousing mounted trans mounts, then the shape changed a bit between the early and late bellhousings.

Nice picture. I never can figure out what years they changed.

8/80 was the first change with the motor mount moving to the transmission. The next bellhousing change was 4/85 with the transmission rotor clockwise a little. Most markets that change was 11/84. The start of the 70 series and the FJ62 with a 3F in most markets. US never have the 3F with a carburetor. Can't help but wonder if the 2F was used thru 7/87 was because it had already passed US emissions.

8/80 was the first change with the motor mount moving to the transmission. The next bellhousing change was 4/85 with the transmission rotor clockwise a little. Most markets that change was 11/84. The start of the 70 series and the FJ62 with a 3F in most markets. US never have the 3F with a carburetor. Can't help but wonder if the 2F was used thru 7/87 was because it had already passed US emissions.

Plus in the 60 series the bellhousing and crossmember need to match.

Plus in the 60 series the bellhousing and crossmember need to match.

The 40 series crossmember changed 10/82 to clear the front driveshaft when a H55F was installed at the factory. The L brackets for the crossmember had three different sizes for changes to the frame on different 40 series models.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom