Builds 2007 LX470 Super Cruiser build with Elate Mfg Supercharger (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Looks great! I had to swap intake tube to gain more psi. Intake was good for alot more HP on dyno. Will you be tuning it on dyno? May find that you don't need to retard timing with the internal cooler? Definitely interested and will be following.
Yess! You were the one I was thinking about. Your experience is what lead me to try and mod my stock airbox. I'm surprised the intake makes such a huge difference. I have had a bunch of turbos but this is my first SC so it's interesting how each behaves a little differently. Your intake was 100% custom made correct? or did you buy it?

I will probably get it on a dyno but no plans to do that any time soon. Luckily I already dyno'd my truck when it was stock with @suprarx7nut so I could go back there and have a good comparison before and after (it made 175whp stock FYI). I'm not going for max power or racing or anything, I just want a bump in power that is not too stressing on the rest of the vehicle and reliable for the long term. I'm happy to let you have the most powerful truck!

Nice build!
Out of curiosity, does this mod increase or decrease the gas mileage, or not much difference?
No clue. If I drive exactly the same then it should be slightly better MPG because of the gain in volumetric efficiency but in reality I'll drive faster and use more fuel. While on cross-country road trips and towing I should see a slight increase in MPG. I've noticed now when driving on the highway 65-80 MPH I can keep the truck in 5th gear OD the entire time never having to downshift, on a long cross country trip especially on cruise control that could add up to 1 or 2 MPG. I've been keeping track of my mileage since I've owned this truck so I should be able to spot a difference if there is one.

Last edited:
I'm most interested in your coolant and air intake temps compared to being NA. Any kind of findings in your mileage so far?
No change that I can tell yet in coolant temps. It run 188-205 ish depending on conditions. It's been 100F a couple days this week too.

Air intake temp according to the stock ECU is the same because the MAF sensor is pre-SC so there's no change. I have plans to add a temperature sensor to the coolant line for the intercooler somewhere so I can sort of measure the intercooler temperature.

I do notice that after heat soaking in a parking lot the truck is not as responsive as it is after a few minutes on the highway so the intercooler is definitely working.

Last edited:
Here's an inside view of my airbox mod. I used a silicone tube with another slice of tube over it to seal it to the walls. Might be worth it even on an NA truck.

DZzXSfF.jpg

I also have a small digital boost gauge now.

Hk9eK8C.jpg

No CELs yet either!

Yess! You were the one I was thinking about. Your experience is what lead me to try and mod my stock airbox. I'm surprised the intake makes such a huge difference. I have had a bunch of turbos but this is my first SC so it's interesting how each behaves a little differently. Your intake was 100% custom made correct? or did you buy it?

I will probably get it on a dyno but no plans to do that any time soon. Luckily I already dyno'd my truck when it was stock with @suprarx7nut so I could go back there and have a good comparison before and after (it made 175whp stock FYI). I'm not going for max power or racing or anything, I just want a bump in power that is not too stressing on the rest of the vehicle and reliable for the long term. I'm happy to let you have the most powerful truck!

No clue. If I drive exactly the same then it should be slightly better MPG because of the gain in volumetric efficiency but in reality I'll drive faster and use more fuel. While on cross-country road trips and towing I should see a slight increase in MPG. I've noticed now when driving on the highway 65-80 MPH I can keep the truck in 5th gear OD the entire time never having to downshift, on a long cross country trip especially on cruise control that could add up to 1 or 2 MPG. I've been keeping track of my mileage since I've owned this truck so I should be able to spot a difference if there is one.
Intake was custom but I also started with GCC spec Intake with a couple extra bends compared to yours. With the extra inlet you may be good as is. It's easy to check. Remove Intake tube before filter and do a pull and see if pressure Increases enough to justify a less restrictive intake. I also added Rife fast I take temp sensor on driver side boost port and intake temps without cooler are crazy hot for me. Would be cool to see how well cooler is working on yours. Elate would be my choice if they ever make one to fit mine.

20211014_180738.jpg

20220408_212144.jpg

Watch your trans temps.

Install supercharger on Monday, drive trails on Sunday! Went up to Kingston Peak for some trail clean up and the Super Cruiser did awesome as always. This time going up I-70 and the smaller mountain highways it was just a leisurely cruise without having to conserve momentum or deal with constant transmission shifting. I was able to go as fast as I wanted up the mountain without going over 3000 RPM in 4th. Just smooth power. Up at 9000ft I was able to make 3 PSI on an open section of road. Once on the trail I noticed absolutely no difference between stock and supercharged, which is to say a good thing! Took it up over the pass at 12,000 ft.

rJljos0.jpg

e8n3hBU.jpg
ubqslpt.jpg

KFz9w1H.jpg

d7m9oYX.jpg

rDlZm7O.jpg

I ordered a 75mm pulley last week and got it today. Only drove it a little bit but it's now solidly making over 5 psi. I also added a Fuelab fuel pressure regulator (Amazon.com: Fuelab Fuel Pressure Regulator 535 EFI Adjustable Mini 25-90 PSI (2) - Green | -6AN In (1) -6AN Return : Automotive - https://amzn.to/3SdwPJl) to take over for the stock one. It is rising rate so every 1 psi of boost it will increase fuel pressure by 1 psi. I pulled the battery terminal and reset the ECU so it will learn the new setup. Spent some time driving around and it's definitely got more power, more like what I was expecting. The original pulley was a nice bump, but now it really feels supercharged :D It should get better and better as the ECU dials itself in.

Just to reiterate the stock 80mm pulley should make 5-6 psi at sea level, but only makes 4-4.5 psi at my elevation. The 75mm pulley now should make closer to 6 psi at my elevation and 8-9 at sea level. I will definitely keep the 80mm pulley on hand in case I do a roadtrip just for a little extra safety margin.

p02pWPp.jpg

Fxu0CLG.jpg

Party pulley time! Such a cool build
Thanks man! I went back to post #2 and made it more of a build thread than it was before: 2007 LX470 Super Cruiser build with Elate Mfg Supercharger - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/2007-lx470-super-cruiser-build-with-elate-mfg-supercharger.1288831/post-14520922

So far mileage around town has been about the same 10-12 MPG depending. I'm using a lot of throttle too :D I want to get it out on a longer road trip to see how it is on the highway.

So far I've only seen a max of 5.4 PSI on my gauge and Travis says I should get a full 6 PSI based on the calculator. It's probably a restriction with my intake tube. I did what @Wadepat2 suggested and removed the lower section of the airbox. I used some big zip-ties to keep the air filter in place and did some pulls. It didn't increase the boost PSI at all, however, so if there is a restriction it's in the crossover tube itself. That was also with the bigger pulley I haven't tried it with the new one yet.

Last edited:
Had low oil pressure showing on the gauge for the last 50k or so. Bought a new sensor. Oil pressure is fine and so is my peace of mind :)

4IL9VhT.jpg

333Qqrk.jpg

uMeS3mk.jpg
Was your pressure showing low all the time or just sometimes? I have noticed at idle mine will dip below the 1/4 mark and sit there until accelerating.

I have heard that the 200 series airbox flows and filters pretty well. Might be worth checking into? That plus a larger intake tube.

Thanks, @Toyoland66 I will look into that!

Did some wheeling over the weekend and some more trail cleanup and threw a lil mud on the blower

8EuvwDZ.jpg

dFcllrl.jpg

DtskRnu.jpg

I ordered a Nomad Valve Body kit for my truck so before I put that in I got some baseline temperatures. When the going is easy or on the highway the trans is pretty much always in the 160-170s. On a long, slow uphill slog on the trail the temp went up to 183F maximum. I've never really had a complaint about my tranny but the valve body is highly recommended for these transmissions and the people that do the upgrade rave about it.

rrJd4L7.png

potuW7z.png

Thanks, @Toyoland66 I will look into that!

Did some wheeling over the weekend and some more trail cleanup and threw a lil mud on the blower

8EuvwDZ.jpg

dFcllrl.jpg

DtskRnu.jpg

I ordered a Nomad Valve Body kit for my truck so before I put that in I got some baseline temperatures. When the going is easy or on the highway the trans is pretty much always in the 160-170s. On a long, slow uphill slog on the trail the temp went up to 183F maximum. I've never really had a complaint about my tranny but the valve body is highly recommended for these transmissions and the people that do the upgrade rave about it.

rrJd4L7.png

potuW7z.png
Super interested in hearing about the Nomad VB. Was thinking about buying also. Keep us posted!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom