1HDT HDJ81 Misfire (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Can anyone chime in on why their are times where I am at a dead stop in the mtns and I have to floor it and black smoke is building everywhere but the truck is barely moving at all...

Reading this post alone without the other issues you have posted, your trans might not be dropping gears when you stop. This was happening to me a couple of years back. I have the electronic A442F in my truck. I'd come to a stop where there was a slight incline and when I pressed the accelerator, the truck would barely start moving. I could get it going by manually selecting 2nd gear. Transmission solenoids can be an issue in these and can be changed out; however, my issue was "fixed" by doing a drain and fill of the transmission fluid. Did it again after 5000km. Now I do a drain and fill of the transmission fluid at the same time as oil changes each 10k kms. I haven't had the issue again.

Reading this post alone without the other issues you have posted, your trans might not be dropping gears when you stop. This was happening to me a couple of years back. I have the electronic A442F in my truck. I'd come to a stop where there was a slight incline and when I pressed the accelerator, the truck would barely start moving. I could get it going by manually selecting 2nd gear. Transmission solenoids can be an issue in these and can be changed out; however, my issue was "fixed" by doing a drain and fill of the transmission fluid. Did it again after 5000km. Now I do a drain and fill of the transmission fluid at the same time as oil changes each 10k kms. I haven't had the issue again.
This is every similar and damn that seems like a lot of tranny fluid to have to go through.

The only other issue to add to it is the times where I am practically flooring it to get up the mtn in 2nd or low and feel like im still going no where but with good boost levels and rpm's

Pretty sure its the A442F.

Could this possibly be a transfer case issue? I have noticed a bit of oil coming from my speedo connector.

There's 2 versions of the A442F used in HDJ81's, the earlier version is fully hydraulic, the later version has electronics and shift solenoids (can be identified by presence of ECT and OD/off buttons). The function of the kickdown cable and it's adjustment varies depending on which version you have.

This is every similar and damn that seems like a lot of tranny fluid to have to go through.
I will be changing it to 15k kms for trans drain and fill. Last two I've done were at 15k kms. I was doing at 10k just because it was easy to do at the same time as an oil change. Drain and fill each 10-15k kms is basically the same as the recommended full replacement every 40k kms. YMMV

As others have suggested I would start with changing out the transmission fluid. Yours does look a bit dirty. Might want to do the full replacement method, or could just do a drain and fill and see if it helps.

There's 2 versions of the A442F used in HDJ81's, the earlier version is fully hydraulic, the later version has electronics and shift solenoids (can be identified by presence of ECT and OD/off buttons). The function of the kickdown cable and it's adjustment varies depending on which version you have.
Yes I have the later version electronic

I will be changing it to 15k kms for trans drain and fill. Last two I've done were at 15k kms. I was doing at 10k just because it was easy to do at the same time as an oil change. Drain and fill each 10-15k kms is basically the same as the recommended full replacement every 40k kms. YMMV

As others have suggested I would start with changing out the transmission fluid. Yours does look a bit dirty. Might want to do the full replacement method, or could just do a drain and fill and see if it helps.
I will hopefully do that tonight or tomorrow

Alright did a drain and fill for 8qts. And figured out 2nd gear is the issue. Is this a linkage cable problem or worse?

So you're using the shifter to start in second.
Second gear is going to have a higher load and be harder to move.

First is 2.95:1 and second is 1.53:1
That's 52% the amount of power being transmitted to the tires in second vs first.

Maybe I'm missing something?

A linkage won't cause an issue if you're locking the trans in gear. If can cause upshift and downshift issues but once in gear that linkage and cable is irrelevant.

So you're using the shifter to start in second.
Second gear is going to have a higher load and be harder to move.

First is 2.95:1 and second is 1.53:1
That's 52% the amount of power being transmitted to the tires in second vs first.

Maybe I'm missing something?

A linkage won't cause an issue if you're locking the trans in gear. If can cause upshift and downshift issues but once in gear that linkage and cable is irrelevant.
Something does not feel the same at all, I am flooring it.

Low gear does not act this way it all.

This symptom is new

Something does not feel the same at all, I am flooring it.

Low gear does not act this way it all.

This symptom is new

As I'm not in the rig I can't say for certain.

First gear should take off much easier than trying to take off in second.

If you take off in first does it bog when shifting to second?

As I'm not in the rig I can't say for certain.

First gear should take off much easier than trying to take off in second.

If you take off in first does it bog when shifting to second?
I may misunderstand this transmission. But it does not feel like it is performing the same as I have used it as such plenty of times before it started acting like this.

does selecting 2nd gear not mean that it will start out in 1st and shift up to and not out of 2nd?

Only reason I feel that way is because I have not experienced this issue in all the other times I have used 2nd.

I may misunderstand this transmission. But it does not feel like it is performing the same as I have used it as such plenty of times before it started acting like this.

does selecting 2nd gear not mean that it will start out in 1st and shift up to and not out of 2nd?

Only reason I feel that way is because I have not experienced this issue in all the other times I have used 2nd.

2nd gear start is just that. It's starting in second gear.

Putting it in drive, does it accelerate through the gears as normal?

On these trans, shifter in 2nd gear = 2nd gear start, and won't shift up beyond 2nd gear, basically locked in 2nd when the shifter is in this position. It's a bit confusing, as other models have an actual "2nd gear start" button, and having the shifter in 2nd would simply limit upshifts beyond 2nd and you'd start in 1st gear.

I'm thinking the gasser versions/other transmissions do NOT function the same, as I've had other conversations with gasser guys where they needed video evidence before they would believe that's how my trans functioned.

On these trans, shifter in 2nd gear = 2nd gear start, and won't shift up beyond 2nd gear, basically locked in 2nd when the shifter is in this position. It's a bit confusing, as other models have an actual "2nd gear start" button, and having the shifter in 2nd would simply limit upshifts beyond 2nd and you'd start in 1st gear.

I'm thinking the gasser versions/other transmissions do NOT function the same, as I've had other conversations with gasser guys where they needed video evidence before they would believe that's how my trans functioned.
Okay so then I will just currently be feeling a bit crazy as I don't recall having this sort of "issue" before. So putting the gear selector in 2nd means no matter what I am starting and ending in 2nd gear.

I will just have to wait and see if any other issues transpire from this.

In the mean time, I will be upgrading my air box intake and turbo and see what happens next. Everything else seems to be working peachy. On my TorFab airbox I just have to figure how to re-mount my cruise control and power distribution and that will be rockin an rollin. I will run with the TorFab airbox for maybe 2 weeks before I install the GTurbo.

Okay so then I will just currently be feeling a bit crazy as I don't recall having this sort of "issue" before. So putting the gear selector in 2nd means no matter what I am starting and ending in 2nd gear.

I will just have to wait and see if any other issues transpire from this.

In the mean time, I will be upgrading my air box intake and turbo and see what happens next. Everything else seems to be working peachy. On my TorFab airbox I just have to figure how to re-mount my cruise control and power distribution and that will be rockin an rollin. I will run with the TorFab airbox for maybe 2 weeks before I install the GTurbo.
Do you have an aftermarket cruise control? Just curious, as I would love to have cruise but my factory cruise control doesn't work.

Should be 108 but yes. That's a Japanese thing. You can swap an Aussie or eu ecu and it'll work as normal
Or a US spec CC ECU has worked as well to remove the CC limiter. I have only tested same year ECU's to work, but anything's possible.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom