Builds 78 body off restore (cruiser #2) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Thanks again…sorry what do you mean hack the front up and steer it?

Probably Jack the front up. Then steer to see if everything feels smooth through steering travel.
I doubt he wants you to hack it up…

Ah…hack/jack. Got it. Lol

Yes, I did that and everything felt smooth. Also verified their is no play (wheels turn with the steering wheel…even a very slight turn of the steering wheel turns the wheels).

Last edited:
Curtice ,

Google and study the term S.A.I. / steering axis inclination ..

Does your steering after you complete a some what sharp turn , want to naturally return to the straight ahead forward Vehicle motion position ?

I’ll post the tech from my T-TEN service training FSM

It is ….

Well the most comprehensive steering TECH fsm toyota ever printed in paper media , the main difference is it has all symptoms mentioned. A step by step remedy steps also ….

Unlike the publicly available chassis and body FSM,s

This FSM WILL have the final diagnosed issue and solutions ….

So hang to tite I’ll post here shorty

Thanks Matt. Actually, it doesn’t totally seem natural to go back to the straight position. It does on the big turns, like around a corner (obviously). But on smaller turns like bends in roads, kinda hard to tell.

I think I would probably call this a symptom.

Curious question about your jump seats. They look superb, but I was wondering if you are either missing some bump stops for them to sit on the wheel wells or they look to be a later jump seat style that looks like it should have the fold out leg that would sit on the floor to support the weight of the person sitting on them.

They seem to be finished, but maybe it's for looks. If they are to be sat on I would be afraid they would rub on the wheel wells and tear the bottom of the covers and create an issue possibly.

My 3fe needed a lot of burping . Overheated on the maiden voyage.didnt trust the gauge so went dakota after that. I finally used this to burp with great success. OEMTOOLS 87009 No-Spill Coolant Funnel Kit, Near Universal Fitment, Translucent, 15 Piece Set, Cooling System Funnel Allows Access To Hard-To-Reach Radiators , White https://a.co/d/i7DbZla
And added a 80 series blue aisin fanclutch however not sure I needed it. I started with aisin ftc-017 which was new when it overheated the first time, and ended up using aisin ftc-049 for safety sake. Still need more miles on mine before I can answer any of your other questions.

Curious question about your jump seats. They look superb, but I was wondering if you are either missing some bump stops for them to sit on the wheel wells or they look to be a later jump seat style that looks like it should have the fold out leg that would sit on the floor to support the weight of the person sitting on them.

They seem to be finished, but maybe it's for looks. If they are to be sat on I would be afraid they would rub on the wheel wells and tear the bottom of the covers and create an issue possibly.
They look like custom made to me.

The bottom sheet metal is on the wrong side of the tube frame. I think ICON makes and sells those seat frames.

They are they Icon 4x4 seats. ICON Jump Seat Frame Set - https://shop.icon4x4.com/products/icon-jump-seat-frames

They need some feet still, I’ll need to figure that out. For now, they work just fine for kids, which is pretty much the only people who will use them. 😀

My 3fe needed a lot of burping . Overheated on the maiden voyage.didnt trust the gauge so went dakota after that. I finally used this to burp with great success. OEMTOOLS 87009 No-Spill Coolant Funnel Kit, Near Universal Fitment, Translucent, 15 Piece Set, Cooling System Funnel Allows Access To Hard-To-Reach Radiators , White https://a.co/d/i7DbZla
And added a 80 series blue aisin fanclutch however not sure I needed it. I started with aisin ftc-017 which was new when it overheated the first time, and ended up using aisin ftc-049 for safety sake. Still need more miles on mine before I can answer any of your other questions.

Thanks. Is there a way to tell if it needs burping?

If you’ve recently changed your antifreeze, added a water pump, radiator, heater core, rear heater or hoses (etc etc), it needs burped. Kits are cheap, you can find them at most auto parts stores. I think I bought mine at NAPA for around 20 sheckles.

I reread most of your thread. You already have the tool. Just run the Funnel on the radiator for a while till the thermostat opens. Worth a shot to see if it has a pocket. Sometimes parking nose up on a hill helps. 3fe's can cause a steam pocket that can lock the coolant flow. I'm still cautious of mine and watch the Temps closely

Should look or function similar to this.

60B0C5D0-7739-4156-B0E0-605742C906F6.jpeg

One of these days, Bro, I'm a gonna sand and buff my valve cover til it shines like yours and @GA Architect .
Yep, one of these days...

LMAO…it’s slight of hand. That shinny cover keeps people from looking at the rest of the mule.

I reread most of your thread. You already have the tool. Just run the Funnel on the radiator for a while till the thermostat opens. Worth a shot to see if it has a pocket. Sometimes parking nose up on a hill helps. 3fe's can cause a steam pocket that can lock the coolant flow. I'm still cautious of mine and watch the Temps closely

Thanks again. Yeah sorry I didn’t mention I have one. I just wasn’t sure if I was using it right or how to tell if the system is fully burped or not.

Sounds like whoever rebuilt your steering box may have tightened it too much.

Very good yea. That sure sounds like something is binding.

Can you hack the front up and steer it and it all feels smooth?
@Curtice in regards to your steering, along the lines of what Nolen suggested, i read comments in another post elsewhere about adjusting too tight at center wheel position making the box too tight as the wheel is turned. Here is the post (#57) for reference. Maybe back off just a slight amount and see if there is any improvement.

@Curtice in regards to your steering, along the lines of what Nolen suggested, i read comments in another post elsewhere about adjusting too tight at center wheel position making the box too tight as the wheel is turned. Here is the post (#57) for reference. Maybe back off just a slight amount and see if there is any improvement.

Thanks for this suggestion. I think it did the trick. I had it backed off 1/4 turn from fully tight, per most instructions I read. I went ahead and backed it off an additional 1/4 turn. This made it feel slightly better, but still sketchy. So I did another 1/4 turn. On this test drive, things were clearly much better. But there was still some tightness, so I backed off another 1/8th of a turn. It feels pretty good now. I am not sure what happens if I go too far back, but it drives much better now.

If anything I did draws red flags for anyone, let me know! I don't want to have a dangerous steering situation. But like I said, it drives pretty well now. A very noticeable improvement.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom