Builds HZJ75 Troopy - campin' roadtrippin' wheelin' build (5 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

42601-60262-03 16X6 OEM Toyota Steel Wheels for 70 series (same specs you listed above), go well with 255/85 R 16, and available from your local toyota dealer. Lots of folks using this combo and tire size.
I like mud terrains. Maybe I shouldn't but I only see MTs in that size. I can get km3s in 255/85/16 locally. Pricey though. I've been usimg KM2s for a long time now.

Any opinions on the Yokahama Geolandar MT G003? They are less expensive and I've seen them on a number of cruisers lately.

If I wanted to look for used rims, are there any common donors? I didn't have much luck finding tacoma/4runner rims that match but thst would be ideal. Otherwise I'll order the OEM ones.

Anyone suggest a reason not to go from 285/75/16 to 255/85/16? I kinda want to try slightly taller/skinnier size.

Last edited:
I like mud terrains. Maybe I shouldn't but I only see MTs in that size. I can get km3s in 255/85/16 locally. Pricey though. I've been usimg KM2s for a long time now.

Any opinions on the Yokahama Geolandar MT G003? They are less expensive and I've seen them on a number of cruisers lately.

If I wanted to look for used rims, are there any common donors? I didn't have much luck finding tacoma/4runner rims that match but thst would be ideal. Otherwise I'll order the OEM ones.

Anyone suggest a reason not to go from 285/75/16 to 255/85/16? I kinda want to try slightly taller/skinnier size.
Like @svsisu said, I went with the 42601-60262-03 16X6 OEM Toyota Steel Wheels. Worth every penny! they are well made and a stock Toyota part. It takes a lot of the thinking about backspacing out as well. and if you have been looking for rims you should already know its kinda a pain in the ass with these 70 series. I don't know of any US market Toyota rims that work without spacers that are easy to find. I am sure somebody else would know on here though. I like the skinny tire because it helps the vehicle wonder around the road less. In my opinion Land cruisers with the solid axle in the front seem to drive better on the road with a skinner tire. (when all your ball joints, steering play and adjustments are in check)

Like was mentioned I am running the smaller 235 85 16s I am very happy with that size. however if I had a troopy I think I would have gone with the 255 85s. Like you said they are kinda pricy and I am on a teacher salary haha. I think 235s still equate to a skinny 32 tire. and the 255 is a 33 tire.

I thought about getting the 285 75 16s but I was worried they would be too similar in driving characteristics (road wondering) to the 33x12.50 15s that I was trying to replace. Hindsight I think they would have been just fine. I think @LuckyDevil is running 285 75 16s on his 70 series with the same rims I have.

I also almost went for the yokahamas. but ended up getting these cheeper radar renegade r7 tires that I am very happy with. I was a die hard bfg guy but decided on trying somthing different.

anyways thats my two cents! I hope it helps.

Here’s the Cooper

8D0E4C9F-6DA8-48A0-80C4-60633203A8B7.png

Good looking truck with some well thought out build additions.

Being from Australia I assume the truck is rhd? If that’s the case you’re going to have issue with a drive south as Costa Rica will not allow entry of a rhd vehicle. The workaround could be shipping from a point north (Veracruz Mx) to Colombia: if there’s a will there’s a way.

Good luck with your build and future travel!

Last edited:
Yes it is, courtesy of Ernesto @overlandtheamericas (he's on instagram, not sure about 'mud). Total gamechanger.
Ernesto doesn’t know it yet but he’s taking me on a guided trip of the atacama desert in Argentina next year. Troopy to Troopy. Good guy for sure.

Good looking truck with some well thought out build additions.

Being from Australia I assume the truck is rhd? If that’s the case you’re going to have issue with a drive south as Costa Rica will not allow entry of a rhd vehicle. The workaround could be shipping from a point north (Veracruz Mx) to Colombia: if there’s a will there’s a way.

Good luck with your build and future travel!
Thank you for the kind thoughts. I've got a lot of plans and a lot of updates for this thing.

On Costa Rica, I am greatly frustrated by that development. Considering a false lh steering wheel. Or even a complete LHD conversion. Or even buying a LHd vehicle. I drove to the Costa Rican border about 10 years ago and was hoping to continue on from there on this next adventure.

But most likely I will bypass Costa Rica and Panama entirely and go directly to South America from the US or Mexico.

Last edited:

I have the Yokohama Geolandar in the 255/85r16 size on my troopy. They're the 3rd set of them that I've had and I really like them. Reasonable price point and handle well. They were also pretty much all that was available for a while.

i have toyo 255/85-16 and like them alot,,,, very little weight to balance and quite tame on the hiway especially for an MT

On my rims, this is what I think I'm looking for:

• 16x6 rims
  • 3.5" backspacing
  • ~0 offset
  • 6x139.7 bolt pattern
Sound right? Any recommendations on a source or vendor? I'm looking for tough, steel, cheap, roughly in that order.
based on that order, trailer rims comes to mind

I imagine you are running spacers then as well? I read somewhere that the Tacoma rims have a 4.5" backspace and need spacers on a 70 series.
Yup, 1.25" spacers. Not ideal but I haven't had any issues. If I were to do it over I'd get the OEM 70 series steel wheels

I run Yokohama G003s and love this tire. I first had 255/85r16 on oem 16x6 Steelies. It’s a good size for sure. On my setup it always looked a little small and it’s definitely skinny.

I’ve liked the look on a lot of other cruisers though. I currently run them on 4Runner steel 285/75r17. 34”x11 and like that size on my bj74.

Great tire, great traction, smooth. About it’s only downfall is longevity. It’s not going to last as long as a bfg km2. I got about 35,000miles out of mine. I imagine I could have made it to 40k but they would have been pretty well done.

17s would give me a lot more tire choice, which might be important in South America. And I don't really need all the sidewall of 16s with this rig.

What year 4runner did the rims come from? Do you need spacers?

Yup, 1.25" spacers. Not ideal but I haven't had any issues. If I were to do it over I'd get the OEM 70 series steel wheels
I am waffling on the OEM rims for two reasons.

1) tire selection. Even the pizza cutters I am looking at "require" a 6.5" rim. They'll fit just fine but i may run into hassles if i go wider.

2) Cost. I am looking at about a grand for 6 new rims and that's with a good discount. I would love to take on someone's discarded oem steelies for cheaper.

17s would give me a lot more tire choice, which might be important in South America. And I don't really need all the sidewall of 16s with this rig.

What year 4runner did the rims come from? Do you need spacers?

Yes you would need spacers with the rims I have. The rims are on eBay for like $76/rim free shipping. Basically brand new take offs.

There is an oem 17” steel with correct backspace but you have to find it overseas and ship which was harder to find by far.

17 Inch 6 on 5.5 Black Steel Wheel Fits Tacoma 4Runner Fj Cruiser WE40596T | eBay - https://www.ebay.com/itm/202937846448?chn=ps&norover=1&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-117182-37290-0&mkcid=2&itemid=202937846448&targetid=1645685074768&device=m&mktype=&googleloc=1014485&poi=&campaignid=16730423415&mkgroupid=135815925780&rlsatarget=pla-1645685074768&abcId=9300841&merchantid=6490944&gbraid=0AAAAAD_QDh9JY0u793phEGrO9PeuK8QUN&gclid=Cj0KCQjwz96WBhC8ARIsAATR251oMLZjtGKc4GJZCWV6G6ss2KP0B8YwD5FV_V9OaI69CuroglJzn6kaAjcwEALw_wcB

Hmmm, tempting. I have postponed my cross country drive. Tgis will give me some more time for the tire/rim decision.

Do you remember any details for the overseas 17s? Which market or years they were used?

I’ve been running the Cooper S/T Maxx in 235/85/16 size on my Prado for a couple of years and really like the tire. It has performed great in every terrain I’ve driven, and has excellent road manners.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back
    Top Bottom