FJ80, 100 series, or Sequoia? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

ozarkmud

SILVER Star
Threads
I'm looking for some realism and advice.

I love my 3rd gen 4Runner. It's been great. However, with two kids and one wife, it's getting to be a bit crowded. Especially being far from town, getting lots of groceries every couple weeks.

One day, we might have another kid, maybe two. One kid would fit with 5 seats, but we're thinking a 3rd row might be good.

We do lots of gravel road driving (we live down a gravel road). I don't appreciate the lower ball joint design issue of the 3rd gen 4runner and 1st gen Sequoia. I don't think it's critical, but getting out of that camp might be nice.

We also have lots of highway miles into town. So gravel and highway. And then plenty of snow in the winter.

A Sequoia is definitely big enough, but maybe bigger than I want. 80 series and 100 series don't get good gas mileage. I imagine the 4.7 motors edging out over the straight 6s.

I am open to 15 MPG, if I have to. My worry is that with so much gravel driving, a unibody vehicle would tend to suffer. Although one would have better gas mileage.

I do like to do some trails, but wonder about a more trail worthy rig, and a more highway worthy rig. Of course the FJ80 and 100 series are both very trail worthy as they are, but in time I could imagine wanting to do bigger tires, which means less MPG... Perhaps a solid axle 4Runner paired with a 100 series Land Cruiser could make the most sense.

I also wonder if a solid front axle is a bit of a liability on the gravel roads. It's not going to be quite as planted as IFS (or so I imagine), and maybe somewhat more accident prone.

Should I just get a 90s mini van every couple years? Would I be able to tow a 2,000lb trailer happily with an 80 series? Is a Sequoia really what I need?

I tend not to care for ATRAC and AHC on the 100 series / LX470, in the years that had them. I'd also prefer not to jump too much into modernity.

My budget is probably around $15k at most.

What do you all think?

Thank you!

I love my 3rd gen 4Runner. It's been great. However, with two kids and one wife, it's getting to be a bit crowded.
I was/am in the same position. I decided to buy a 100 AND an 80, then sold the TurdGen 4Runner, but kept both Cruisers…and then also bought a 60 🤣

Sequoia. My buddy has one and does a ton of camping, hunting, towing, and exploring with it. Surprisingly capable and it sounds like exactly the rig you need.

Get what you “need” right now and revisit this subject again, if necessary, in the future.

I was/am in the same position. I decided to buy a 100 AND an 80, then sold the TurdGen 4Runner, but kept both Cruisers…and then also bought a 60 🤣

Is the 100 series / 80 series more sensible than the Sequoia, though? They cost more and less MPG for less space.

Had a 60 once. Really liked it, but definitely slow.

Is the 100 series / 80 series more sensible than the Sequoia, though? They cost more and less MPG for less space.

Had a 60 once. Really liked it, but definitely slow.
The 100 and 80 are both more sensible than a 3rd gen 4runner. I never considered a Sequoia. I just wanted more Cruisers.

The 100 and 80 are both more sensible than a 3rd gen 4runner. I never considered a Sequoia. I just wanted more Cruisers.

I'm curious, what is it that you dislike so much about the 3rd gen 4Runner?

Sequoia is your best bet. 100 series would be second. The third row in the 80 is pretty small and hard to get to for kids, especially if you have car seats or boosters involved. The 100 is marginally better. The sequoia is designed to be a family hauler and works well as such. They can also be built to be very capable camping and light wheeling rigs. The sequoia will also tow better than either land cruiser option.

For mostly highway and gravel roads the IFS rigs will be a better choice. The solid axel is a nice feature for durability but the IFS rides better. If you are not hard wheeling them both the Sequoia and 100 series are plenty stout. I am not sure there is much of a difference between the solid axel front and IFS as far as stability goes. There are plenty of go fast desert racers in both configurations that work very well. What will make the bigger difference there is your suspension, namely it's not worn out and you run quality shocks.

All of the rigs you listed are body on frame so not sure where the uni-body comment came from.

I'm curious, what is it that you dislike so much about the 3rd gen 4Runner?
I don’t dislike them. I owned one for 16 years. They’re great vehicles. But once you move beyond 2 adults, 1 kid, and 1 dog, you’ve outgrown a 3rd gen when doing anything more than driving around town.

I have experience with all of those except a Sequoia. I own a 07 100 and a 94 80. My coworker has a 97 3gen that was initially stock but now lifted and armored.

If you want room, the 3gen is out of the question, they are too small IMO. the 100 series (03+) is a luxury vehicle compared to anything else you listed. 80s are great but i would expect pretty much any 80 you buy to be a project since they're pretty old, do you want a project or something less care free?

I would honestly not get any of those for a daily driver or if you're going for economy. Get something newer that gets good MPGs. We rented a new Armada (back in 2019, current design) and we all loved it. it's got IFS/IRS suspension, amazing ground clearance, a s*** ton of power and got better MPGs than any cruiser I've been in. Ride was amazing. I would look at vehicles like that, Armada, newer Sequoia (5.7), Tahoe, etc.

If you ask this question on the Sequoia forum, did they tell you to get an 80-series LandCruiser...?

I have 2 kids, wife, and a dog and use my 80 as my family adventure truck. I choose it since we (me) like to get off the beaten path and crawl on rocks so we can go poop on the open wilderness. But realistically, the 80 is not the best choice for what looks like your intended needs. It's old, drinks gas, slow, marginally just about as big as a 5th gen 4R (haven't verified, but it looks like it) -- no way i'd recommend it to someone that needs a practical family SUV that will see dirt roads. If all you care about is goiing to point A to B, there are far better options than an 80. With that said, nothing beats the sort of romantic vibe you get when you roll down the mountains/deserts on an 80. IMO.

I have experience with all of those except a Sequoia. I own a 07 100 and a 94 80. My coworker has a 97 3gen that was initially stock but now lifted and armored.

If you want room, the 3gen is out of the question, they are too small IMO. the 100 series (03+) is a luxury vehicle compared to anything else you listed. 80s are great but i would expect pretty much any 80 you buy to be a project since they're pretty old, do you want a project or something less care free?

I would honestly not get any of those for a daily driver or if you're going for economy. Get something newer that gets good MPGs. We rented a new Armada (back in 2019, current design) and we all loved it. it's got IFS/IRS suspension, amazing ground clearance, a s*** ton of power and got better MPGs than any cruiser I've been in. Ride was amazing. I would look at vehicles like that, Armada, newer Sequoia (5.7), Tahoe, etc.
The comment above about the 80 being a project is REALLY true. Not a bad thing, but, I would want a daily driver backup to be available. Can't speak to the Sequoia, but they have a good reputation, and are more plentiful.

Hey everyone,

Appreciate all the replies.

We bought a Sequoia. It's the practical option I'm not thrilled about, but it seems like a good vehicle and the right choice. Our 3rd gen 4Runner is down for the count after an accident. Waiting on a quote from a body shop to see what it'll cost to repair it. Running and driving, but with the windshield dropping glass as you drive it, and the roof pillar bent, it seems there's no quick/easy repair. It may or may not be worth fixing. It's also an automatic, which I definitely don't prefer.

I think getting a Sequoia leaves room for a more offroad worthy rig/backup vehicle. For that, I'm debating a few options, depending on the outcome of our 4Runner.

1st/2nd gen 4Runner (probably 2nd). The V6 is definitely more questionable, but it is a 3.4 swap candidate. 2nd gen 4Runners are the best priced. Much easier to find in manual.

3rd gen 4Runner. I really do hate the lower ball joint issues and the front suspension is just not nearly as tough as the older IFS setup with torsion bars.

FJ60. I had one once. Very slow, but nice to have a manual.

FJ/FZJ80. Only automatic, but otherwise seems pretty ideal.

After the accident I am thinking more about crash worthiness. The 80 series landcruisers seem to fair really well. 3rd gen 4Runners I'm not concerned about. It sounds like 2nd gen is a step backwards in that department. I also wonder if a solid front axle is going to be trickier on the gravel roads for my wife over IFS, as we have to do a lot of gravel day to day.

The slightly larger size of the Land Cruisers over the 4Runners may be a benefit for us. However, the 80 series is quite a bit more money and might be hard to justify for a trail rig / backup vehicle.

Hey everyone,

Appreciate all the replies.

We bought a Sequoia. It's the practical option I'm not thrilled about, but it seems like a good vehicle and the right choice. Our 3rd gen 4Runner is down for the count after an accident. Waiting on a quote from a body shop to see what it'll cost to repair it. Running and driving, but with the windshield dropping glass as you drive it, and the roof pillar bent, it seems there's no quick/easy repair. It may or may not be worth fixing. It's also an automatic, which I definitely don't prefer.

I think getting a Sequoia leaves room for a more offroad worthy rig/backup vehicle. For that, I'm debating a few options, depending on the outcome of our 4Runner.

1st/2nd gen 4Runner (probably 2nd). The V6 is definitely more questionable, but it is a 3.4 swap candidate. 2nd gen 4Runners are the best priced. Much easier to find in manual.

3rd gen 4Runner. I really do hate the lower ball joint issues and the front suspension is just not nearly as tough as the older IFS setup with torsion bars.

FJ60. I had one once. Very slow, but nice to have a manual.

FJ/FZJ80. Only automatic, but otherwise seems pretty ideal.

After the accident I am thinking more about crash worthiness. The 80 series landcruisers seem to fair really well. 3rd gen 4Runners I'm not concerned about. It sounds like 2nd gen is a step backwards in that department. I also wonder if a solid front axle is going to be trickier on the gravel roads for my wife over IFS, as we have to do a lot of gravel day to day.

The slightly larger size of the Land Cruisers over the 4Runners may be a benefit for us. However, the 80 series is quite a bit more money and might be hard to justify for a trail rig / backup vehicle.
thanks for the update. as is typical in life, it's usually about trade-offs and compromises. Quite rare to have something be a complete perfect match. I have the LX450 which is of course an Automatic. I have a '13 OR Taco with a 6 speed manual, it took awhile to find it. I've always loved manuals, but I'm liking the Automatics in my 200 and 80 better than I thought I would. But, I get where you're coming from.

Happy trails, and dirt roads :clap: :steer:

3rd gen is the perfect rig for your usage. Stop making babies and you'll be golden. Babies cost a lot more than gas.

If you insist on more kids, then sequoia is the logical choice. Trail-worthy enough, better MPG than an 80 or 100, more room inside and cheaper to maintain. They're also A LOT cheaper to buy than 3rd gen runner, 80 or 100. Like by half, if my craigslist perusing is any indicator.

:edit: late to the party, looks like you got it figured out 👍

BTW: LBJ is a non-issue in my opinion. Just replace with OEM ball joints every 100k and don't give it another thought. All the failures are either aftermarket parts or neglected high mile LBJs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom