Events/Trails 💥Pig Party 2022💥 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Wednesday
Went to Mable via Kebler Pass got to within 1/4 mile of Crystal City (mill) and found out that some where at some time I lost three of the stud bolts on the drivers tie rod arm because, the fourth one broke on one of only 6 flat spots with allowable passing. The road is only 4 miles long but is similar to some of the tightest rocky roads we previously experienced. If it had happened in one of those section it would have closed the road down or worse. Lucky me. This morning a local showed up with a bag of bolts and I put on a bandaid that got me down that 4 miles to Marble where I sit in another hotel room and give thanks to something somewhere.

Tomorrow off to Carbondale to attempt to tidy up the bandaidView attachment 3059251View attachment 3059252View attachment 3059253View attachment 3059254
Nice pic of the old Crystal Mill. It’s one of the most photographed sites in backcountry Colorado. Sent you a DM on help near you.

Wednesday
Went to Mable via Kebler Pass got to within 1/4 mile of Crystal City (mill) and found out that some where at some time I lost three of the stud bolts on the drivers tie rod arm because, the fourth one broke on one of only 6 flat spots with allowable passing. The road is only 4 miles long but is similar to some of the tightest rocky roads we previously experienced. If it had happened in one of those section it would have closed the road down or worse. Lucky me. This morning a local showed up with a bag of bolts and I put on a bandaid that got me down that 4 miles to Marble where I sit in another hotel room and give thanks to something somewhere.

Tomorrow off to Carbondale to attempt to tidy up the bandaidView attachment 3059251View attachment 3059252View attachment 3059253View attachment 3059254
Jeremy at JW Deisel there in bonedale is friend of mine. Not sure how much of a band aide you're looking for, but chances are he'll have something to get ya going, and if not can certainly send you the right direction. If you go in tell him Cody Gatland sent you ; )

Gordon, do you know if the studs are snapped off or just backed out? You'll need those cone washers, too.
John Brasier in Basalt (ex Proffitt’s Cruisers) says he’s happy to help and probably has what you need. Contact info in my DM to you.

Here's the studs I used, might be an option when you get back....

John Brasier in Basalt (ex Proffitt’s Cruisers) says he’s happy to help and probably has what you need. Contact info in my DM to you.
Screenshot_20220714-204757_Chrome.jpg

Look at jimmy go 😂

That’s a little butt
After split with Ron, went to Crested Butte and hoteled it. Next day attempted 317 to Crystal Mill then to Marble. Only got a 1/2 mile of incredible trail till it got fall into a ravine sketchy. The photo of the road is deceiving the narrowest point just before the outcropping to the right is about 5’ wide and has a deep right dip at the 5‘ wide point.
Not worth the death considering it gets worse after thisView attachment 3059227View attachment 3059228View attachment 3059233
That’s a little butt puckering for me

Thanks to all for your connections. Will definitely check all connections.

3 studs just up and disappeared, 1 hole feels stripped, 1 hole has a stud sheared off and the front 2 have #10 grade bolts holding things in place, one with a cone washer. ( actually found the last one that snapped off with a cone washer still attached).

thanks again

Thanks to all for your connections. Will definitely check all connections.

3 studs just up and disappeared, 1 hole feels stripped, 1 hole has a stud sheared off and the front 2 have #10 grade bolts holding things in place, one with a cone washer. ( actually found the last one that snapped off with a cone washer still attached).

thanks again
Might want to buy a lottery ticket, after those roads and you just parked it is a miracle. :beer:

Somehow the idea of a “redneck attack helicopter pilot” seems like a movie plot.

Everyone already knows that Helicopter Pilots are smarter than the average human being and are the most aesthetically pleasing people on the planet, right?
1) Smarter no, they pay me to fly the broken helicopters and see what’s wrong….

2) Also, I have no hair because of 1)…

Man, I can't imagine that break occurring on Black Bear. The exposure is enough, then there's that first hairpin. It is all about brakes, steering, and trust in your spotter as one y-turns a wagon. Your front end hangs over the abyss as you stop forward progress according to your spotter. All a driver can see a that point is sky. You want to back quickly and farther than you're allowed due to a massive wall behind you. Rinse and repeat. Butt pucker moment. FJ40 not so bad.

Last edited:
Thanks for the great pics, We always carried a tork wench and checked all knuckle studs when we would get to camp on the rubicon trail or any trail on all cruisers, replacing studs at 1:00 am on trail not fun, night wheeling

Been talking with him today and trying to help chase parts, which are the issue. He's in good hands in Carbondale with John Brasier, ex-manager at Proffitt's Cruisers, perhaps one of the most knowledgeable Cruiser guys in the country. We talked several times this morning and I messaged them again a while ago but haven't heard back. Turned out to need a few more pieces than originally thought. I'll leave it to Gordon to fill in any details and updates.

Well Gordon, if its anything like it used to be in the old Roaring Fork Valley, you're probably gonna have to get whatever you need shipped in, unless you can make it with you're own two hands. That said, as someone who spent many years stomping those grounds, here's a few ideas of how to spend youre time there mid valley. There are lovely people under the 133 to 82 bridge. Good assortment of rec rx choices. Roll in humble, but they'll be kind if you are... 😆 youll find solid locals sipping beers at at Pour House on main in Carbondale. Cheap but good pizza at Peppinos..good bit pricey pizza at White House Pizza. The chinese place on 133 has been good since the 70s. If you head up valley a tad to Basalt, and are looking for something a little upscale, Tempernillo will not disappoint. In the morning head to the Viillage Smithy in Carbondale or Two Rivers Cafe in Basalt. Both mid valley classics. Aspen and Snowmass arent far away, but Ill leave that to the online reviewers. Too much to even start on there. It gets more afforbale the farther west you head. Glenwood has 2 great hot springs, a SICK amusement park on top of the mnt, but if Im that way, Im popping by old Doc Holidays for a sip or two.. if you want to drink away your troubles on the cheap, head to El jebeverage and talk to a big fella named Martin. Good luck gettin outa there... Itll suck you in!

Again, I’ll wait for Gordon to provide details and pics. Last word early evening was necessary parts found locally thanks to John. Painted and awaiting install. Bonus was Gordon getting to drive John’s 45 to pick them up.

I’m also amazed this even stayed together, also amazed it came apart.

Before learning little tricks of the trade removing these cone washers I couldn’t get dynamite to break em loose and yours comes apart like this even though I’m sure there were some pretty good stressors.

This is great learning tool, as I make small list of things to take with us on road trips.

If my son chooses to go back to school in Gunnison again this fall versus the Marines we’re going to explore some! Thanks for sharing your incredible experience.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom