Alternator with New Brushes and Regulator shows zero volts (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Says it in the title. But I took out my Denso and replaced the regulator and brushes. Put it back together and battery light is still on. I checked the fuses at the battery. Checked the IGN fuse inside the car and put a voltmeter to the post on the alternator and got nothing.

I’m going to go ahead and get a new alternator tomorrow but I’ve never seen an alternator put out zero before and I’m wondering if something is up with the regulator/ecu? Anything else I should check?

Make sure the wiring plugs are firmly attached to the alternator. I replaced brushes in a 80 series alternator and on starting up the motor had no voltage output. Rechecked and firmly pushed in the wiring plug and then had good voltage output.

Make sure the wiring plugs are firmly attached to the alternator. I replaced brushes in a 80 series alternator and on starting up the motor had no voltage output. Rechecked and firmly pushed in the wiring plug and then had good voltage output.
Ignition switch is also bad (I get the constant key in beeping as soon as I open the door) would that have any impact?

I guess what I’m wondering is if the alternator actually even failed or if something else caused the initial issue. If that’s the case the connection wouldn’t be the issue because it had been working fine up to the point I got the battery light.

Like. Could something about the ECU or ignition be telling the alternator regulator not to charge up?

Or even on that note. The battery is relatively new and I had it on a charger all night and it’s not charged. So could a bad battery do the same thing?

Circling back on this. The regulator sent to me apparently wasn’t good and I tried the old regulator and that didn’t work either.

A little puzzled as to why either the old or new regulators were toast but after pulling that alternator 3 times I decided to throw in the towel on the rebuild. I just ended up swapping for another alternator. Problem solved.

Have you checked the regulator sensor fuse on the positive battery terminal inline fuse block?

Have you checked the regulator sensor fuse on the positive battery terminal inline fuse block?
Bench tested the alternator to isolate the regulator as the issue. New alternator. No issues. So it couldn’t be the fuse.

If the fuse is blown the alternator will have no output.......as it will not have a positive signal control voltage.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom