Header Wrap - Good Idea? Bad Idea? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I use the fiber wrap on my exhaust manifold (6BT) and it is cast iron, not welded pipe.

There isn't any significant increase in rust on them. I use a turbo blanket on the turbo as well, and on the first couple feet of exhaust (stainless) I heat wrap with the fiber stuff and then put the aluminum foil tape on top.

My intent is to lower temps in the engine compartment, keep the heat in the gasses till it gets to the turbo, it probably would be good to cool the exhaust a bit right after the turbo (cooling gasses shrink - better pressure differential) but I want to keep the engine compartment cooler foremost. Also I am top mount intercooler, which isn't really an issue at speeds, but just trying to keep that cooler.

For the FZJ/FJ, if you get more rust due to condensation (heating/cooling) where your located, maybe don't wrap things up and go for the cerami-coat first.

I've pondered cerami-coat on the inside of the manifold to insulate it better from the gasses and keep the heat in longer, I'm not 100% but I think it might increase the catalytic effect and decrease NOx etc.

I was always under the impression that wrapping headers was something that is done to increase performance.

Wrapped headers get hotter and because they are hotter the exhaust gases get pulled from the engine mote efficiently. Basically it increases the exhaust efficiency.

But if they lower under hood temps that would also be a bonus.

were your headers stainless? Did you use silicon wrap spray? I just built a new stainless exhuast and wrapped the sections that go over the frame under the passenger seat and over the rear axle. Debating if I pull them...
I had just installed new magna flow headers and used your standard heat wrap. I wrapped brand new headers and they lasted a little under two years before I removed the wrap and realized they were rusted through.

I had just installed new magna flow headers and used your standard heat wrap. I wrapped brand new headers and they lasted a little under two years before I removed the wrap and realized they were rusted through.
Different grades of stainless do better or worse for this.

I think its any moisture that perhaps saturates it when its not running. Just a guess.

mine is made from 304L stainless. I also painted it with the silicon wrap protection. the wastegate plumbing wasnt sprayed but thats way up in the engine bay. Probably just keep an eye on it.

give it a shot and report after a winter of driving in salt covered roads.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom