Swapping 3X Locked OEM Axels into a non Locked FZJ80? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

NYIronPig

YES I have a problem...
SILVER Star
Threads
I totaled my FJ80, but it was 3X and the axels are in great shape with rebuilt knuckles. How involved is the swap to use all the 3X locked parts from my old ride to get my new rig 3X like factory including the switch? Or easier ti just sell the old setup and go with Eaton eLockers on the front and back? Welcome all ideas and thoughts here!

Managing the hardware isn't bad, Just straightforward axle for axle swap.

Wiring it up depends on how "stock" you want it to be.
It is my understanding You can wire the factory switch to work them directly with minimal wiring, but to get all the factory wiring, there are a lot of harnesses you have to steal out of your old rig.

I'm sure someone more knowledgeable will be a long shortly to list it all out.
Also there are numerous threads about swapping factory lockers into unlocked rigs

Managing the hardware isn't bad, Just straightforward axle for axle swap.

Wiring it up depends on how "stock" you want it to be.
It is my understanding You can wire the factory switch to work them directly with minimal wiring, but to get all the factory wiring, there are a lot of harnesses you have to steal out of your old rig.

I'm sure someone more knowledgeable will be a long shortly to list it all out.
Also there are numerous threads about swapping factory lockers into unlocked rigs
Thx, probably doesn't help my new ride has a well done Cummins 5.9 swap in it, so no idea what OEM wiring is already changed, but all gauges and D light still work as stock...

What size tires are you planning to run? Do you need to regear? What ratio is with the Cummins?

35’s and 4:11’s

All you need are the two floor harnesses, which run along the bottom of the doors, and are very easy to remove, and of course, the magic button. I'd definitely do it if I already had a truck with locked axles. It's another matter entirely if you have an unlocked truck and two locked axles. Then you have to either a) find the floor harnesses from a locked truck, or b) run the two wires needed for the axles yourself. And by run them, I mean into the connectors, too. Possible, but not a :banana:, one-hour job.

All you need are the two floor harnesses, which run along the bottom of the doors, and are very easy to remove, and of course, the magic button. I'd definitely do it if I already had a truck with locked axles. It's another matter entirely if you have an unlocked truck and two locked axles. Then you have to either a) find the floor harnesses from a locked truck, or b) run the two wires needed for the axles yourself. And by run them, I mean into the connectors, too. Possible, but not a :banana:, one-hour job.
Thx, I have all the needed parts in the locked truck, so what the hell! Thx for the heads up on the needed harnesses.

You can hit up @roadstr6 for thoughts, he did this a few years back

The harnesses needed to go along with the axles are

Floor harness along drivers side
Front Locker drop harness
Rear locker drop harness
Rear cross frame harness

You also need the

Dash switch
Locker ecu

If the new truck is a Lexus the drivers floor harness isn’t needed, it’s already there

Yeah, nothing too complex about it once you have all the parts.

The harnesses needed to go along with the axles are

Floor harness along drivers side
Front Locker drop harness
Rear locker drop harness
Rear cross frame harness

You also need the

Dash switch
Locker ecu

If the new truck is a Lexus the drivers floor harness isn’t needed, it’s already there
Does this apply to 93-97 or just 95-97? Where do the front/rear drop harnesses go on the body side? Have a 96 LX I may do this to, the donor would be a 94.

The front drop plugs into a connector near the cruise control unit is on the PS fender. The rear drop plugs into the rear cross harness that is specific to a truck with lockers, so that harness is needed as well.

The front drop plugs into a connector near the cruise control unit is on the PS fender. The rear drop plugs into the rear cross harness that is specific to a truck with lockers, so that harness is needed as well.
Thanks for the information

Thanks guys, this thread helped some. I’m in the process of swapping e lockers difs to my non locked 94 FZJ from a 94 3x doner.
I started pulling the harness from the rear and quickly ran into a dead end when it goes up into the frame.
Anyone have any advice how to pull the harness with out cutting and splicing. What does the non locked have in place, I’m told the switch wiring is there but have not confirmed yet. Front harness comes out of cruise control box? I’m sure someone has posted the info, I just can’t find it.
thanks in advance!

Post 93 trucks should have all the body wiring harness that you need. I just body swapped a 92 JDM truck and everything was plug and play for 3x diff locks and cruise control.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom