:BUILDS: Blinded by the diesel, revved up like a duece - 1975 BJ40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Never had a diesel LC, but have had beaucoup diesel trucks, all of which had block heaters. Did the Toyota diesels have block heaters and if not, why not add one?
I believe some in Canada came with a block heater. They are out there. Ultimately would like OEM, but this winter, I'll probably just go with a magnetized one that just sticks to the block. Those have worked for me in the past on another diesel I had.

Some updates happening. I've been starting other threads for specific issues but thought I'd get back to this one.

Added clips to my steelies so I could put on the hubcaps. That project went well.

Working through the fuel system now. Changed out filters, got it running halfway decent, albeit a bit rich.

The fuel was dirty, dirty...

So now I'm pulling the tank and getting it cleaned up by local radiator shop.

Took me about 45 easy minutes to pull the tank. VERY happy to see the condition of the steel under the tank and the tank itself is in really good shape, so I don't think I'll need to replace it.

Weird thing about underneath the tank though. The original color is yellow, but there is a dark red color both on the underside of the tank cover and underneath the tank in the tub. I thought it was just primer and that maybe they didn't paint it underneath the tank, but as I scrubbed it clean, the red came off to reveal the original yellow underneath. what's up with that? Was there an extra coat of some protective paint added to the metal around the tank?
Can someone enlighten me on this?

ATT00001.jpg

ATT00001 (1).jpg

Inside the tank wasn't too bad, I don't think. It's at the radiator shop now

ATT00001 (2).jpg

and a year later.... the BJ40 is back on the road/dirt! Replaced all the soft lines, had the tank cleaned, and while I was at it I stripped the passenger side footwell down to metal, and repainted with a Toyota color "Yellow" from 1975. There was very, very little rust!

nothing like squeezing in 15-20 hours of work into 12 months.

IMG_6694.jpg

IMG_6697.jpg

IMG_6750.jpg

IMG_6755.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom