Manual conversion thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So one thing lead to another and I bought a 00 limited auto 4x4 last september with a salvage title, with only 127k miles. As it turns out the car had seen more s*** than I thought, and the auto trans was on its way out. So after it burned up it didn't take long to convince myself to do an r150f swap. Simple enough, right?

The first thing I did was a leakdown test, which it passed making it a decent candidate. Pulled the drivetrain, installed a clutch pedal and master, and replaced the rack with a reman cause it was on its way out as well.

Ordered a low mileage r150f from a 98 tacoma with a transfercase for $850 on ebay, turned out to be a rusted hunk of junk from some snowy colorado town that I couldn't even get the case off of (needed to reuse my '00 case with the electronic solenoid). Had to dissect the thing using means I don't want to ever think about again, so I'll cut that story short, but lets just say it involved fire and helicoils and pain.

Anyway, I eventually get the thing into the rig after messing with it for a few weeks, working on it whenever I could. Shifters have been installed. But it turns out the driveshaft I spent forever trying to find from a 96 4x4 manual is a few inches too long. That part still confuses me, my only guess is maybe it was a shorter transfer case, maybe somebody here can explain better than me. So I ordered a 1.5" spacer instead of trying to fight for another driveshaft in this economy, looks like a hockey puck with holes drilled in it and a register on either side. Fits like it should, but the length of the bolts make me think they must undergo a lot of stress under hard acceleration, not sure on that one.

Also, the transmission mount I ordered on ebay for a 2000 manual 4x4 4runner does not fit to the trans. Returned and ordered another, which is slightly different, but still no cigar. I am at a loss for where to get the right one, am I under the mistaken impression that all r150s with the 5vzfe bell have all the same bolt locations? Or that 3rd gen 4runners only used the a340 or the r150? What could possibly go wrong?

To sum it all up, I have a heap of s*** in my driveway that would at least be a fun heap of s*** if I can make it go. Other than the trans mount, it should be good to go soon. Except I still need to figure out the fun games I have to play with the ECU, I'm sure it will have some choice words for me. Manual 4x4 ecus are out of my price range, so I will try my best to get the auto codes to disappear with resistors and clever wiring as others have claimed to do.

Didn't mean for this to be a build thread at first but it may turn into one

Here's photos for reference to the trans mount

20220710_215350.jpg

20220710_215340.jpg

Kudos to you for doing this swap, it can be a nightmare especially if your truck has an immobilizer.

Lots of info out there so I'm optimistic you'll be able to pull it off soon!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom