North Meadow Creek Status/Progress (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

JohnnyOshow22

KK0TEQ
Threads
As many of you know the North Meadow Creek trail was shut down last summer. It is one of the funnest trails in the area, it has a few technical spots, 5 different lakes you can camp, the no tell motel, mining remnants and fishing opportunities with great views. Truly a fantastic trail and it's close to us here in Bozeman.

I've been following a few different Facebook groups and clubs that have been working with the forest service to get this reopened sometime this summer. The forest service condemned the 5 bridges last summer deeming them not safe for use and shut the trail down.

Montana Overland & 4x4 Adventures on facebook has been covering this since day one of the shut down posting about what's been going on, what the forest service needs/wants for the new bridges to be installed. Sounds like there are lots of parties involved and that at some point volunteers will be needed for the rebuilding. They are also asking for donation specifically to be allocated to the forest service for this project to purchase materials and hardware.

Here is the Montana Overland & 4x4 Adventures page

Here is the go fund me link Replace McKelvey Trail Bridges (open the trail), organized by Richard Hiltz - https://www.gofundme.com/f/replace-mckelvey-trail-bridges-open-the-trail?utm_source=customer&utm_medium=copy_link_all&utm_campaign=m_pd+share-sheet

This could be a great opportunity for the club to get involved with the trail and forest service to reopen this trail and help keep others open in the future. I know of many bridges in the tobacco roots have seen better days, there's a pretty non existent one on the way to noble lake. I for one would love to see the trail reopened and will be following this closely as July comes up which is when they're planning to start the work.

If they do open it this summer I would love to do a club run up there and would be happy to spot, support and guide a run.

I'll keep this page updated as I see stuff or if anyone else sees stuff post up!

20190816061938_IMG_2525.JPG

@ttFJC and I starting the climb to Mckelvey

IMG_20190818_093310.jpg

McKelvey lake sign

IMG_20190817_104936.jpg

Couple month old Kavik on a stump at Cliff lake

IMG_20200627_114506.jpg

Grown Kavik and Polly at upper twin fishing memorial day weekend (did not make it all the way in the cruiser)

C207B971-6304-401C-8125-1DB6EB0CF5DA.jpg

Fly fishing lessons at mckelvey

Last edited:
IMG_20190816_190448.jpg

No tell motel

20190726032334_IMG_2359.JPG

Cutthroat at mine lake, Uncle Steve crushing it

20190816203920_IMG_2605.JPG

Eko and Boone in the flowers

20190816204615_IMG_2626.JPG

Mountain goats at McKelvey

20190816064247_IMG_2577.JPG

Spotting @ttFJC up to Mckelvey

Last edited:
Keep us posted Johnny, this would be a great thing for the Club to get behind!

I remember that spot. so does my gas tank skid plate. Johnny on the spot, crank the wheel all the way drive and flip the front locker switch.... FJC walked up and nothing blew up. Thank god.

thanks a bunch for posting this Johnny.

Just donated. Thanks for the post. I am going to check with Chris McGrath @ BLM Dillon Field Office to see if there is anything else we can do/help with.

Just donated. Thanks for the post. I am going to check with Chris McGrath @ BLM Dillon Field Office to see if there is anything else we can do/help with.
I believe your in national forest at north meadow, Chris is blm. Although I believe they share office space in ennis. Let us know if they need volunteers. I could try to persuade my work to do some milling of logs if needed for the rebuilding the bridges.

I believe your in national forest at north meadow, Chris is blm. Although I believe they share office space in ennis. Let us know if they need volunteers. I could try to persuade my work to do some milling of logs if needed for the rebuilding the bridges.
It is NF, but I think Chris might be helping out as they work closely together. I'll know more on Monday. I will take you up on your offer if your work will let you mill some logs.

has anyone looked into this corporate sponsorship

Let's bring this up at the meeting. Johnny, any chance you have more details on where and when folks are heading up?

Any new news on when and where the meet up is?
Drew that Facebook post is a link, if you click on it you'll see the details, sorry should have said that in my last post

North meadow is OPEN!!!

Went up to McKelvey this weekend. Had a blast as usually. The bridges are awesome and well built! Awesome work by the volunteers and FS to get the trail back open!

It is more difficult past the no tell. A lot of boulders on the switch back past the no tell motel have shifted around. Punctured my AC drier on a rock and lost all my freon, got high centered at the same time and had to winch off the rocks. Was more adventurous than most trips out. Did some fishing and had a nice campfire. All in all was a nice single night outing.

Has anybody been up north meadow in the last couple weeks? I drove through Ennis Saturday and snow level appeared pretty high. Any chance the trail is passable? I have winch and lockers, but I think my buddy might have open diffs.

i think you should defiantly go for it. Especially with the winter weather advisory in effect for tomorrow. snow on the rocks makes the holes smaller

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom