300 series vs 200 series, first impression (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Sounds like the same arguments people made when the 100 came out, the 200 came out, …
Yes same in our region.. every new generation sparks a new debate on how the older one was 'better' or more durable.. even if only by perception

What adds fuel to the fire is when the new one shears its body completely off from the chassis during an accident like so..

Yes, every photo of a LC300 wreck in the pictures thread linked below- the remaining carnage looks like crumpled tissue paper. It’s striking how destroyed it gets. Thin aluminum body panels.

Yes, every photo of a LC300 wreck in the pictures thread linked below- the remaining carnage looks like crumpled tissue paper. It’s striking how destroyed it gets. Thin aluminum body panels.

I own at 21 LX and a 22 LX. (also, a 16 GX, and have had a 4runner and Tundra platinum in the past)
This new LX is certainly made in a more "disposable" manner. The seams (fender to hood, fender to door, door to door) are all slightly wider (2mm). The driver and passenger front door cards are barely held by clips at the top where you would rest your elbow (you can pry them off very easily, there's some play to them). Headliner is thinner, single sun visor per side (and it's flimsy at the clip when you lock it in). It does ride smoother than 21 LX and quieter (due to laminated windows for middle row, which previous model doesn't have, only fronts on that one). But man oh man, when you shut the doors on the 21, it's like a vault, on the 22 it feels cheaper, thinner, etc, but so happy that it has auto-close. The front bumper on the 21 has two horizontal supports (one steel, another is aluminum). On the 22, there's one aluminum bar and the other is a plastic honeycomb. The list goes on, I can make a video of them side by side someday.

Plastics are thinner, carpet pile is thinner. There is less legroom in middle row by almost 4in, it is perceptible (our GX has more middle row space). Slightly less legroom (maybe 1 in) in front, but not as noticeable.

The 21 LX is built better than GX, but this new LX build fit and finish is worse than GX.

Some positive: More power on tap, more nimble on the road and agile in corners, steering very light at slow speeds. Tech is great improvement.

I own at 21 LX and a 22 LX. (also, a 16 GX, and have had a 4runner and Tundra platinum in the past)
This new LX is certainly made in a more "disposable" manner. The seams (fender to hood, fender to door, door to door) are all slightly wider (2mm). The driver and passenger front door cards are barely held by clips at the top where you would rest your elbow (you can pry them off very easily, there's some play to them). Headliner is thinner, single sun visor per side (and it's flimsy at the clip when you lock it in). It does ride smoother than 21 LX and quieter (due to laminated windows for middle row, which previous model doesn't have, only fronts on that one). But man oh man, when you shut the doors on the 21, it's like a vault, on the 22 it feels cheaper, thinner, etc, but so happy that it has auto-close. The front bumper on the 21 has two horizontal supports (one steel, another is aluminum). On the 22, there's one aluminum bar and the other is a plastic honeycomb. The list goes on, I can make a video of them side by side someday.

Plastics are thinner, carpet pile is thinner. There is less legroom in middle row by almost 4in, it is perceptible (our GX has more middle row space). Slightly less legroom (maybe 1 in) in front, but not as noticeable.

The 21 LX is built better than GX, but this new LX build fit and finish is worse than GX.

Some positive: More power on tap, more nimble on the road and agile in corners, steering very light at slow speeds. Tech is great improvement.
Yikes. Big government initiatives finally affecting the venerable Cruiser.

Yikes. Big government initiatives finally affecting the venerable Cruiser.
Yeah, no, probably not. Biggest markets are gulf states and Russia, where they have no real controls. But it makes sense to be more efficient and appropriate with materials. And it is most likely a lot safer. My FJ60 is a tank but i would not want to get in a wreck with it as I would be dead.

Yeah, no, probably not. Biggest markets are gulf states and Russia, where they have no real controls. But it makes sense to be more efficient and appropriate with materials. And it is most likely a lot safer. My FJ60 is a tank but i would not want to get in a wreck with it as I would be dead.

Companies like Toyota are 'optimizing' (i.e. reducing) costs with different approaches such as shared components (the TNGA platform) that underpins everything from a cheap Yaris all the way to the LC300, there is bound to be sacrifices vs a purpose designed chassis.

In the drivetrain side, the engine for example, has to comply with multi-region regulations even though they don't exist in every region. Hence you find another point of sacrifice (i.e. overkill emissions systems that add cost and promotes carbon buildup in modern engines, boosted smaller displacement engines that have more complex/ expensive bits, needs better fuel quality, and higher long term maintenance bills...etc.).

Point is: The global squeeze in emissions and gas mileage cannot be avoided and the bill is ultimately passed on to the consumer whether they like it or not. Even for places with loose regulations such as Russia and the Middle East.

This is all very disappointing.

Nah, we’ll have EV LC’s
Not if chassis splits from body. It seems Toyota's philosophy has changed. What drew me to LC in first place was safety, then reliability, then offroadability.

My sense is that image has been over played.
What do you mean? 300s have barely been out and one of the first accidents and it split at the seam.

I remember why I bought my 200, a mudder described having an iaed explode under them in Iraq splitting the 200 in 2 but everyone surviving and both parts traveling out of harms way. That came from Toyotas philosophy of overdoing everything. In order to improve mpg they switched philosophies of shrinking and making parts lighter including the hood. I remember my 100 hood flexing in high winds, very irritating. I like jumping and thrashing my 200 so I know how bomb proof it is. It doesnt sound like the 300 will be better at landing after high jumps. It might be better at taking off. They are already recallingj300 land cruisers due to faulty axles splitting apart.

What do you mean? 300s have barely been out and one of the first accidents and it split at the seam.

I remember why I bought my 200, a mudder described having an iaed explode under them in Iraq splitting the 200 in 2 but everyone surviving and both parts traveling out of harms way. That came from Toyotas philosophy of overdoing everything. In order to improve mpg they switched philosophies of shrinking and making parts lighter including the hood. I remember my 100 hood flexing in high winds, very irritating. I like jumping and thrashing my 200 so I know how bomb proof it is. It doesnt sound like the 300 will be better at landing after high jumps. It might be better at taking off. They are already recallingj300 land cruisers due to faulty axles splitting apart.
200 hood flexes too.

I haven't really noticed but maybe.

The 300 just seems like a soccer mom car no longer an overbuilt monster vehicle. Im trying to find comparison between 200 vs 300 axle.

On 2 lane highway with no medians, the hood moves when large vehicles/trucks are passing the other way
I wonder what happens if you’re driving a Prius in the same situation, if the shell of the car just fly’s off. 🤣

I don't think ours flexes but it can move/vibrate with the passing of large trucks or in high crosswinds.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom