Scheel-Mann Seat Install (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

These seats are sooooo far from being overhyped it's not even funny. You may be able to sit on a 5-gal bucket for hours, but there are plenty of folks out there who need actual support and real comfort from their seats, me included.

IMG_0523.JPG

Agreed they are overpriced, overhyped, and will never go on sale. I know some will argue otherwise (always have one), but you spend more time sleeping in your bed or sitting in your living room than driving a Landcruiser. Think about that for a minute and maybe the money should go to that instead.
I don't sit on my couch for 8-10 hours in the same position. Before getting these seats, I would drive for a few hours and need to get out and walk around. When I would stop my hips and legs would be so sore that I couldn't feel my feet for the first few minutes of walking around(lower spine and hip injury.) I drove for 9 hours straight on the last road trip and only stopped for gas because I needed to. No numbness, no pain. For the people that need a top-notch seat they are worth every penny.

Agreed they are overpriced, overhyped, and will never go on sale. I know some will argue otherwise (always have one), but you spend more time sleeping in your bed or sitting in your living room than driving a Landcruiser. Think about that for a minute and maybe the money should go to that instead.
Its all about the level of comfort. some are cool sitting on a milk crate, some buy junkyard pulls

These seats are sooooo far from being overhyped it's not even funny. You may be able to sit on a 5-gal bucket for hours, but there are plenty of folks out there who need actual support and real comfort from their seats, me included.

View attachment 2982600
Same boat. Fused spine and these seats are the bee’s knees in the 80. Much prefer them to the seats in my 200.

Well, they were pricey. So was the $100 tank of premium fuel, to feed my wits end turbo land cruiser, rolling on my dobisons MRA’s on all 4 corners.

I’ve spent thousands on my land cruiser, and I’m likely to spend thousands more. If you’re short, I can see why you would hold your opinion. For those of us over 6’, over 200lbs, and bone or joint issues, I’m starting to see the value. Not to mention, with the planted brackets, I can take them to my next daily driver project vehicle.

Pay once, cry once. Hit me up in 5 years to see how they are holding up.

for the Planted brackets or the seats?

Really? Aside from figuring power for the heated seats, everything else was straight forward with the planted brackets.

I also found the old nuts from my old shock towers matched the seatbelt bolt perfectly. Who knew?

@burnttoastburgos - both! Despite indicating to Planted, upon ordering, that Scheel-Mann seats were being installed, I recieved their standard bracket whose bolt pattern matches Recaro seats. Because of that I had to elongate the mounting points on the seat’s slide rails. Called Scheel-Mann and they confirmed that this has happened with others and that the mitigation method is sound. I was quoted a 4-6 week lead time on Scheel-Mann specific Planted brackets.

The Passenger seat, when unboxed had a broken lever floating around the plastic encasing and when installed the LED on the heat switch went dim and stopped working. Scheel-Mann replaced both after a long back and forth sending photos and videos of correct wiring installation and the broken lever.

@Enders - see above; however that’s a neat find regarding shock tower nuts and seatbelt bolts.

My brackets arrived four days after my seats did, when ordered all at once. Order was placed in April.

I’ve been on two road trips since install of 5 hour round trip or more, and the lack of soreness, back pain, hip pain was absolutely noticeable. So far, I’m happy with my purchase.

Thought I would offer an update after a year + of use and after I completed another 3660 mile trip to Utah and back to TN.

The trip included 2 ~700 mile 12 hour hwy days 4 ~4/500 mile 8/9 hour hwy days, 4 10-12 hour trail days and some ancillary running around mixed in and my satisfaction is as high as ever with these seats. It is great to finish up a long day in the seat and feel as good as you started the morning, the only difference being ready for a cold beer!

I keep a 303 protectant on the sides and clean the center when needed with the 303 cleaner. I have been using their products for years and am happy you can find it in most auto parts stores or online vs. having to go to an RV or Marine retailer.

Here is picture of the driver’s side to give an idea of how they are holding up!

3493F11E-669F-46F3-9DAC-7937219EF172.jpeg

Would anyone be able to tell me if an ARB twin compressor would fit under the drivers or passenger seats? I saw they offer a seat with a hinged bottom.

Would anyone be able to tell me if an ARB twin compressor would fit under the drivers or passenger seats? I saw they offer a seat with a hinged bottom.
Definitely won't fit under the drivers - I measured for an inverter to put under there and it would only just fit (and it's a lot smaller than the compressor). Might fit under the passenger with the rear heater unit removed.

Thanks so much for the response.

Great idea, but seems it would be a tough fit.

The small space and the possibility of sacrifice of comfort kept me from seriously considering the version with a lift out cushion. Although it should be enough room to tuck and hide any “valuable or security items”!

Does anyone that have both with the lift cushion and without comment on any difference in stability or comfort?

Great idea, but seems it would be a tough fit.

The small space and the possibility of sacrifice of comfort kept me from seriously considering the version with a lift out cushion. Although it should be enough room to tuck and hide any “valuable or security items”!

Does anyone that have both with the lift cushion and without comment on any difference in stability or comfort?
I have had a couple sets with the lift cushion. Was not as useful as it seemed.

One thing i DID notice with the Planted seat bases is there is enough room to move the drivers seat towards the center about 3". Seems to me i feel like im stuffed up against the door pretty tight.

Hmm, I must have re-drilled my planted brackets differently than most. I feel like I'm towards the center as far as I would like. Buckling seatbelt is tight.
I'm unclear as to the design of the seat model with the storage cushion; when open, are you looking down at the floor of the vehicle, or is it just a little compartment fully within the seat?

I had my Planted brackets in hand long before I entertained the Scheel-Mann seats. They got re-drilled once for some Flo-fit recaro copies, then drilled again for the Scheel-Manns. For me at the time, it was either buy a welder or buy seat brackets. It's mentioned somewhere in these threads, but if you tell Planted you want to use Scheel-Mann seats, the bracket you get will be correct.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom