Good setup: 35s, 4" lift, 4.88? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Couple other notes. My wheels have 3.75" BS. I also have 1.25" wheel spacers. Someone mentioned rancho springs on my truck. The Rancho springs were gone almost immediately after purchase so it's unlikely you'll see many pics in my build with the Rancho springs (except for the very early ones before I started modding). There are some photos with my old OME setup which was J springs and 2" spacers for approx. 5" lift. But any photos over the last 2.5 years will be with the 3" Slinky kits. If you have questions about any particular setup as you look at photos, feel free to ask.

As for total height. My office has underground parking with a ceiling height of 6'11". My Cruiser with the roofrack (not with the tent) fits fine in our parking garage. My rack height is just a hair over 6'9"

Thanks man. I just love that rear shot of your truck. Will def look you up if I'm ever in SLC.

So I went with the BFG KM2s instead of the KO2s. I had Toyo MTs in the past and they're definitely hummier than their ATs, but the look was worth it.

I also picked the 16x10 Pro Comp 52 Series wheels (PCW52-6183). They have 4" backspacing along with a -38 offset so hopefully these give me the dish and fender poke I covet.

You could definitely daily drive a truck like mine. Mine has been a daily driver and works great! First of all the suspension makes daily driving simple and comfortable. The Slinky kits are so good offroad it's a given that they will also work well on the road. This photo is from the Southwest Adventure 2017 trip with the Stage4 Slinky kit that had been installed the morning this photo was taken. It's a 3" lift, no extra height. Tires are definitely 315/75 R16. However, these tires (mickey Thompson Baja Claw TTC) have large corner blocks and side lugs and look wider than the MTR or STT Pro tires I've also had in the same size. Wheels are 16x8 Stealth Custom Series SR8's.

For daily driving, an aggressive tire isn't going to be as quiet or smooth as a road tire, but otherwise I love daily driving the truck. Drove it again today for my 60+ mile commute.

If you're ever in SLC before you decide what to do (or after) you're welcome to take my truck for a drive and see what you think.

What rear bumper are you running here? You like?

IMG_6842_zpsaf9oglgr.jpg

I had a chance to take care of some family business *and* pick up my first fzj80. Big thanks to Steve and the original owner for taking such good care of the truck. Mucho obliged to this forum for connecting me to it via the fs thread here: For Sale - 97 LX450 in Atlanta 2nd owner 180K Exceptional

truck.jpg

If not for this particular LX 450's fully documented history and overall condition, I would've remained an fzj80 fan from the sideline. Once I saw it, I knew it was time to get in the game.

Long story short, I just arrived in Los Angeles having logged 2,218 miles to bond with the boy night/day/wind/rain/bugs. Here are some random, sleep-deprived, arse numb thoughts coming from the perspective of someone who's owned two 2UZ-FE and one 3UZ-FE trucks (all modified).

*It feels vintage in a good way. From how close you sit to the windshield to how small the A-pillars are to the truck-like rumble & shake upon ignition, what the newer trucks simply cannot offer is the exposure or intimacy the driver feels to the vehicle and outside world. In the 80 you feel, see and hear more. You smell more. Some like this, some don't. I happen to love it, but this '97 about as vintage as I would want to manage on a daily basis.

*1FZ power is adequate. Toyota did a killer job with the 2UZ-FE. Smoother, more powerful, silky in delivery. You feel less (massive jump in modernization), but you go faster. I cannot imagine not re-gearing to 4.88s on 35s. I pushed through many inclines at altitude, near the Continental Divide in particular, and with cruise control set at 70-75mph, it would def kick down, but just at the right spots and not too often. I want to retain this stock feel as much as possible with the bigger, heavier rubber.

*I averaged 14 mpg the whole trip.

*The old school headlights throw out more usable light than I thought

*I love the ergonomics. You sit square very similar to the "command" seating coined by Land Rover for their Range Rover lifted sedans.

*My D light is dead

*AC on/off cycling is noisy and can be felt

*All window up-down action quickish, but the driver side is a little noisy

*On-center steering is non-existent similar to my mom's G63 AMG (need to get the steering wheel centered)

*Throttle actuation is not smooth like the e-throttle that I've gotten so used to (maybe a new throttle cable will smooth things out or perhaps this is just how it is?)

*Didn't burn any oil throughout the trip and we're talking major interstate hours logged in a very short time period

oil.jpg

*Thank goodness for cruise control (was spoiled with radar cruise in ex-truck)

*BFG TA KO2s are awesome! Always quiet. Confident in the rain. Looks aggressive.

I cannot wait to finish my planned modification work, but will enjoy as-is for a couple of weeks before drop-off. Only anxiety is around this noise that I posted below. Hope it's all good!

1997 FZJ making a clicking noise 150000 miles

Last edited:
The 252 and McGard lug nuts are here. I love deep dish pizza. Hope I bought the right nuts.

file.jpeg

file-1.jpeg

5198F4DB-6A7C-471B-B21C-90A627A74426.jpeg

Dropped off for bronze tint to retain factory shade. 18%.

4C2B98AD-2C12-4027-92DB-E3CD684DBFB3.jpeg

Added clearplex windshield protection film to retain factory seal and glass.

B1F45739-F1F1-4D3F-80A3-956D323A46E9.jpeg

Privacy and protection!

B5712EBF-B12B-4C03-A4B8-513F11A7A015.jpeg

No, thanks.

You have any updated pictures and what you decided to build?

A blast from the past. Thanks for bumping up a thread I unintentionally abandoned. Lo siento.

The black non-triple-locked LX450 you see above got totaled rather unceremoniously somewhere near Manhattan Beach just after I had gotten it detailed, just after I had picked it up from another Mud member in ATL. I spent three days driving it all the way to LA, too. It spectacularly sucked, but on the bright side, I did end up with a factory locked '97 LC to which you can follow its build here.

IMG_1181.jpeg

IMG_1179.jpeg

What I would advise myself having now spent 4+ years pouring over ih8 threads - talking to other seasoned 80 owners, seeking advice from LC vendors, and streaming an insane amount of 80 series content on YouTube - are the following FZJ80 setup thoughts:
  • Start with the most well maintained, documented and lowest mileage factory locked FZJ80 within your budget
  • Run 37x12.5R17 BFG KM3s to start (35s & ATs just don't look good enough; KM3s look good enough, but aren't that much louder than KO2s)
  • "" 17x9, -38 offset, 106.1 bore wheels (avoid steelies - they have inconsistent runout values and heavier than alloys)
  • Lift no more than 2-2.5"
  • Regear with 4.88s to enjoy a stock drivetrain experience
  • Buy the following suspension pieces: Install once, pay once, cry once
There r a million ways to skin this cat, but the above is a no bs, get the job done culmination of all that I've learned along the way and it's a dream to drive. And I drive this thing 15K/yr as an LA daily. Color me crazy.

My 80 feels planted on turns. Drives straight as a fiddle down the fwy. There is zero vibration or odd noises. It may well drive better than a factory new 80 (I've experienced this once back in high school on my friend's FZJ80 b4 he put it in a ditch).

@Trusty Rusty You have my # if the above doesn't satiate your appetite

I hope this helps!

P.S. Can source all the parts above thru @Delta VS , @landtank , Wits' End, @2KCruiser, Toyota dealership and @cruiseroutfit

P.P.S. Let's support those legit 80 businesses that support our passion!

/update

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom