2018 GX, can you identify this sound? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Started on the way home intermittently. Doesn’t affect how it operates. Doesn’t matter if it’s moving or standing still, AC on or off, neutral or drive. The only thing I could kinda do to induce it was a quick tap on the gas and immediately let of and it’d do it for a split second.

This clip is stopped, AC off in drive. It faded out and didn’t come back for a few mins.

Video here

Hmm. Did you try and listen for it outside of the vehicle? Was the radio on? Maybe some sort of feedback in speakers? Does it change with RPMs?
Radio was off, I thought about that too. It seems to be coming from the engine bay area, I THINK, but not 100% sure. I even thought maybe like wind blowing through a weird gap causing a noise, but it stopped the second I turn the car off. It’s hard to replicate it, it happens so randomly so haven’t been able to listen to it outside of the vehicle.

Does it have the same tone regardless of engine RPMs?
Yeah. Tone is the same, though it does get louder and quieter from time to time but same tone. It happens for usually 3-5 seconds or less and the fades out. This video was by far the longest it did it.
It’s also 105 outside so idk if that has anything to do with it. The fans all sound fine, no problems keeping the temp regulated.

It’s thankfully under warranty, but I know how it goes with intermittent issues and dealers. Especially with 2500 miles left on the warranty.

Well, its good that you were able to capture it on a video. You can at least let the dealer know of the issue and have them listen. If they cant fix it or if its intermittent, creating a paper trail will help with coverage after the warranty expires. You'll have to keep good track of when it happens, outside temps, driving conditions etc.

Well, its good that you were able to capture it on a video. You can at least let the dealer know of the issue and have them listen. If they cant fix it or if its intermittent, creating a paper trail will help with coverage after the warranty expires. You'll have to keep good track of when it happens, outside temps, driving conditions etc.
Very true. Ugh

Possibly your ventilation fan? AC doesn't have to be for the fan to be on.

Possibly your ventilation fan? AC doesn't have to be for the fan to be on.
Interesting. Could be, knowing my luck since I’m down to power train warranty only it probably is. To clarify, I had the climate system off totally. Would it still be on then?

Yeah. Tone is the same, though it does get louder and quieter from time to time but same tone. It happens for usually 3-5 seconds or less and the fades out. This video was by far the longest it did it.
It’s also 105 outside so idk if that has anything to do with it. The fans all sound fine, no problems keeping the temp regulated.
Dude, I got old-man-ears, so it was hard to hear on the video, but given your descriptions, is there some gaps around any of your radiator shrouds that may be letting wind through areas it shouldn't? That engine fan/clutch can move some air. Barring that, some bearing on it's way out? Again, pretty hard to distinguish on the video. Maybe record from outside the vehicle?

Dude, I got old-man-ears, so it was hard to hear on the video, but given your descriptions, is there some gaps around any of your radiator shrouds that may be letting wind through areas it shouldn't? That engine fan/clutch can move some air. Barring that, some bearing on it's way out? Again, pretty hard to distinguish on the video. Maybe record from outside the vehicle?
Definitely sounded like wind or something causing a vibration/whine, but one time when it was doing it, I shut the vehicle off and it immediately stopped so I ruled that out. Also did it in my garage so not sure.

Thankfully, but also worryingly, it hasn’t done it again since… so I really have no idea. Drove about 200 miles yesterday and today and it’s never come back.

It was 109 outside that day so maybe was heat related. It was 102 yesterday and 100 today so really not sure though, but would be a big coincidence. I will just hold my breath and hopefully it doesn’t happen again. It really didn’t seem to affect anything, it just sounded horrible. It was much louder in cabin, just hard to capture it. I’ll try to get an out of cabin video if it ever comes back.

To be continued…

Reactions: r2m

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom