Additional 110/120 V Outlet In Front of Vehicle (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Likely your cheapest way, but I would test it before going.

Amazon product ASIN B074KWP2HJ
“Cigarette” plugs are rarely rated for more than 10 Amps which means even at 100% conversion you will only get 120W, no matter the marketing claims of that device.

I can’t imagine his laptop will really burn 200W most of the time, but as my work laptop is power hungry as well, I can verify the built in inverter is not up to the task.

You either need an inverter you can run off the battery with direct wiring, or some sort of Jackery type solution. If he’s really burning 200 W, you are going to want at least a medium size one with 500w inverter and 500WH capacity. In a perfect woeld it will have a DC input for charging that you can then run off one of the 12v ports to keep it charged while driving. It will possibly run at a deficit while driving, but as long as it’s always getting some help from the truck, it will probably be fine.

Bringing this thread back up us we will be going on a cross country road trip in a few weeks. My son has a gaming laptop that he we want to use while on the long drive, like 14+ hours 1 way. His laptop pulls almost 200 watts. So what is the best short term fix here. To buy a cheap inverter that connects directly to the battery or to buy a jackery? I was going to post up a separate thread about the possibility of replacing the factory inverter for the 100 watt outlet in the back but even if that is possible it's probably not going to be possible with the short amount of time I have before the trip. Any suggestions would be great. Thanks!
I think I read that Ecoflow is having a “Prime Day”sale soon. Might check those out. Probably not as 100% reliable as a Jackery, but they have the fastest AC charging rates of any of the name brand all in one units. I’ve had mine for a year and have had no reliability issues with it.

“Cigarette” plugs are rarely rated for more than 10 Amps which means even at 100% conversion you will only get 120W, no matter the marketing claims of that device.

I can’t imagine his laptop will really burn 200W most of the time, but as my work laptop is power hungry as well, I can verify the built in inverter is not up to the task.

You either need an inverter you can run off the battery with direct wiring, or some sort of Jackery type solution. If he’s really burning 200 W, you are going to want at least a medium size one with 500w inverter and 500WH capacity. In a perfect woeld it will have a DC input for charging that you can then run off one of the 12v ports to keep it charged while driving. It will possibly run at a deficit while driving, but as long as it’s always getting some help from the truck, it will probably be fine.
Last year he tried using the outlet in the back with his laptop and it tripped almost immediately. I was/am a little hesitant about buying one that plugs into a 12v outlet because most of the ones I've seen only work for up to like 100 watts. I should say I'm a little hesitant to buy one that says it will do 200 or even 300 watts. When I went to oreillys and looked at inverters the ones that went to 200 or 300 or even higher had to be connected directly to the battery.

200 watt inverter is going to need a minimum 20amp fuse and 10 gauged wire.

I run a 3000 inverter myself.

The suggestion was "the cheapest, and not the best. Hence the test it first.

For the best factory look you could get a 400 amp inverter and install it behind the panel. 10 gauged wire with a good ground and appropriate fuse.

There is a piggy back fuse connector on amazon so you can piggy back the ignition meaning it will only work when the engine is on.

Last year he tried using the outlet in the back with his laptop and it tripped almost immediately. I was/am a little hesitant about buying one that plugs into a 12v outlet because most of the ones I've seen only work for up to like 100 watts. I should say I'm a little hesitant to buy one that says it will do 200 or even 300 watts. When I went to oreillys and looked at inverters the ones that went to 200 or 300 or even higher had to be connected directly to the battery.
It sounds like you are on the right track. I'll confirm your suspicions about any "cigarette" plug inverters mostly likely not be capable of 200w.

By any chance did you remove your 3rd row seats, if they were powered, I beleive you now have a "spare" fused 30amp circuit just hanging out back there. I think it is on all the time, so would have to be careful using it (ignition triggered relay or at least a low voltage cutoff relay). Once i get mine out and put drawers/platfrom in and find somewhere to hide my LiFeO4 battery, that's the cabling i hope to use to charge the rear power setup from the alternator. I'll probably end up running something bigger from the starter battery back there, but seems like in a pinch that 30amps would do everything i need.

200 watt inverter is going to need a minimum 20amp fuse and 10 gauged wire.

I run a 3000 inverter myself.

The suggestion was "the cheapest, and not the best. Hence the test it first.

For the best factory look you could get a 400 amp inverter and install it behind the panel. 10 gauged wire with a good ground and appropriate fuse.

There is a piggy back fuse connector on amazon so you can piggy back the ignition meaning it will only work when the engine is on.
You'd want at least a 35a (probably 40a if the wire is running any significant distance) fuse if you are running a 400w inverter with 10ga wire. If it were me, i'd probably do a <5a add-a-fuse (piggy back) off ignitioin to a 40a capable relay.

It sounds like you are on the right track. I'll confirm your suspicions about any "cigarette" plug inverters mostly likely not be capable of 200w.

By any chance did you remove your 3rd row seats, if they were powered, I beleive you now have a "spare" fused 30amp circuit just hanging out back there. I think it is on all the time, so would have to be careful using it (ignition triggered relay or at least a low voltage cutoff relay). Once i get mine out and put drawers/platfrom in and find somewhere to hide my LiFeO4 battery, that's the cabling i hope to use to charge the rear power setup from the alternator. I'll probably end up running something bigger from the starter battery back there, but seems like in a pinch that 30amps would do everything i need.

You'd want at least a 35a (probably 40a if the wire is running any significant distance) fuse if you are running a 400w inverter with 10ga wire. If it were me, i'd probably do a <5a add-a-fuse (piggy back) off ignitioin to a 40a capable relay.
I have not removed my rear seats and will probably not. Traveling long distance with a 14 year old boy and an 11 year old girl both sitting in the same row. Our 2 dogs and the cat get along better.

Thinking outside the box. It may be more effective to upgrade laptops and cell phones. Short of a gaming laptop, modern ones are all more efficient with longer battery lives. Importantly, most are capable of being charged via USB-PD via a lightweight USB-C cord.

Unless you have other priorities for an inverter, that's potentially a better path. Avoiding all the heavy cords, inverters, power bricks for an overall cleaner solution.

If still looking for a 120V solution, portable lithium batts with built in inverters are super handy.

Thinking outside the box. It may be more effective to upgrade laptops and cell phones. Short of a gaming laptop, modern ones are all more efficient with longer battery lives. Importantly, most are capable of being charged via USB-PD via a lightweight USB-C cord.

Unless you have other priorities for an inverter, that's potentially a better path. Avoiding all the heavy cords, inverters, power bricks for an overall cleaner solution.

If still looking for a 120V solution, portable lithium batts with built in inverters are super handy.
Different laptop is not an option.

I vote a Jackery or something of that solution. Buy it, use it, and if you don’t have a long term need for it you should be able to easily resell it with minimal loss.

Likely school Education provided Laptops.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom