Clogged oil cooler (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
This 60 had been sitting for 15 years or so. While rehabbing and flushing the coolant system I noticed the lines going from the t stat to the oil cooler were clogged with an alien substance. Probably a mixture of deteriorating hose, gasket and crystallized coolant. Pulled the oil cooler today to flush it and boom.
Blasted and probed a bit. Currently filled with white vinegar. Time will tell
Anyone got part numbers on hand for the washer and grommets?

C70B7188-0341-4A72-AFC6-4E3EC7C3A722.jpeg

251A749B-BCC3-4E6E-8898-335C32126545.jpeg

I'd be more worried about the rest of the block and head

I'd be more worried about the rest of the block and head

i can't think of everything all the time , i have failed ...........🤣

my
WAG meter says :

i have a large stock pile of these , Jason is getting 2 of these kits shipped to him today ,

you know a
4th bro-deal network prize any of my PLC's qualify for 24/7 .......:cool:

thanks Paul for your suggestion :)

This kit is the Cracker Jack Smack top shelf results if you make sure to follow the details instructions to the letter on each of the 3 steps kit bottles

I swear by it and the Valvoline brand name I personally use and Trust over my life time as well

Would you like a WAG kit also [USER=10]@3_puppies[/USER] ?

note: the radiator SUPER SEALER is not needed unless you have a leak , .fyi

5BDB379F-DEE2-4925-BA69-1713F6E8B4E3.jpeg
2ACD0983-CBAC-4ED5-961F-D920141BB832.jpeg
8C996975-27EE-48AF-9654-8EBD3A95633C.jpeg
65DE1AC3-D81C-49EB-AFEA-51F4E8BFAA63.jpeg

That ^^
Chances are also high that the smaller head gasket coolant holes are FUBAR
This would be a good opportunity to follow the coolant flush procedure that @NLXTACY did on the 60 he's been working on. From the sounds of it he got great results.

Last edited:
This would be a good opportunity to follow the coolant flush procedure that @NLXTACY did on the 62 he's been working on. From the sounds of it he got great results.
You got a link by chance. Haven’t seen that thread.

Edit: this evening I was able to get the cooler de-clogged by using a thick tie wire. Once the clog was breached it cleared right up but did cause a bit of concern after reading the earlier comments about the head coolant passages. Is flushing going to be something that’ll even be helpful at this point?
For a point of reference the oil cooler had soaked over night in white vinegar and all day in a diluted clr mix as well, to no avail.
Is pulling the head going to be the only sure way?

Last edited:
remove the thermostat housing and see what it looks like inside the head
did you remove the block drain from the side of the block?
are you taking the radiator in to be rodded out?

remove the thermostat housing and see what it looks like inside the head
did you remove the block drain from the side of the block?
are you taking the radiator in to be rodded out?
Looks crispy inside the head. I’ll get picts in a bit.
Removed block drain. It was damned up. Cleared that with a screwdriver.
Radiator has been fully serviced by the radiator shop.
I back flushed the block a few times till it ran clean. Filled with distilled vinegar and let it sit for a couple days. Back flushed again. Currently it’s filled with distilled water.
Plan is to instal a new water pump and timing cover this week. Then after I get the engine back together, do another flush with engine at operating temp.

Here’s a few picts of the head interior

7AFFDAFF-1F94-4285-BC44-51354097FE7F.jpeg

FFA375BF-925D-4934-94F0-D1CEA566544A.jpeg

Last edited:
I would be concerned with those white looking chunks coming loose and plugging the radiator.

can't remember if it was in the 60 or 40 forum but someone had an inline coolant filter between the thermostat housing and the radiator. might be a good idea.

You got a link by chance. Haven’t seen that thread.

Edit: this evening I was able to get the cooler de-clogged by using a thick tie wire. Once the clog was breached it cleared right up but did cause a bit of concern after reading the earlier comments about the head coolant passages. Is flushing going to be something that’ll even be helpful at this point?
For a point of reference the oil cooler had soaked over night in white vinegar and all day in a diluted clr mix as well, to no avail.
Is pulling the head going to be the only sure way?
He details it in his 60 thread. I bookmarked it on my computer at home so when I get back I can look it up.

Also x2 on the coolant filter. Once I refurb my system I'll decide if there's a need to put one in mine as well.

Last edited:
I just ordered a new head gasket and bolts so I’m now committing to pulling the head for the coolant passages. It’ll haunt me if not. New territory though I’ll be researching it while the parts ship.

Thanks @Spook50

@RodrigzCrzr came over today to Hold my hand through pulling the head. All and all is went well.
Snapped the rear most air rail leg off but glad the head bolts all came out with out a casualty.

Valves looked surprisingly clean. Very glad we pulled the head because the water passages were very mucked up

A1B1587E-261A-4700-872C-17A02B2FF2BE.jpeg

A5B24314-A557-4BD9-9EB3-9572E60C7DC8.jpeg

BBF88623-BCE1-4335-96CF-F3F921431CC7.jpeg

0B466DE6-336A-467D-9F81-49233E8B2545.jpeg

Good to hear.

BTW, what’s up with your spark plug wires?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom