Problem Filling Gas Tank - SOLVED (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

MickTLC

SILVER Star
Threads
My son has a 2007 FJ Cruiser here in California. We’ve had it a couple years and never had a problem filling the gas tank. Just recently, we are having issues putting gas in the tank. When filling, the pump constantly cuts out and maybe takes only 1-2 gallons of gas after many cut outs. I tried 3 different gas stations and all angles of inserting the nozzle with no luck.

Anyone else have this issue and what is the fix?
093635CB-B3D5-4CD0-88A8-161B891EC9E6.jpeg

My son has a 2007 FJ Cruiser here in California. We’ve had it a couple years and never had a problem filling the gas tank. Just recently, we are having issues putting gas in the tank. When filling, the pump constantly cuts out and maybe takes only 1-2 gallons of gas after many cut outs. I tried 3 different gas stations and all angles of inserting the nozzle with no luck.

Anyone else have this issue and what is the fix?

Mine has been fussy at times, but not that bad. Some pumps, I just have to stand there and hold the filler handle up so that it's not resting in the filler hole.

Yes. Pull the nozzle out a couple inches and turn the nozzle to follow the curve of the fuel line. Usually about 3 oclock on the clock. Slow fill too.

It’s a pain in the butt for sure.

Also do make sure you are not topping off the tank. I know you cant go back in time and see what they previous owner did, but if topped off a lot the vapor system could be jacked up.

I have had problems too, but I could count them on one hand in the last ten years I have owned my 07. I can typically fill up easily at any station. I know all the trucks could be slightly different, but my gut reason for the difficulties some have may very well be due to incorrect filling.

Some gas stations just have overly-sensitive pump handle vac systems, I guess. I tend to bookmark those problem stations and avoid them. I find a station convenient to me that works well and become a repeat customer. When travelling that's damn near impossible, but on frequented routes across I-20 and I-40 we drop GPS pins or make notes of good stations. Sidebar, I also will buy non-ethanol if it's not obscenely priced. Find the PURE GAS app for your phone for an interactive map database of 100% gas options.

Some gas stations, like Costco, have hoses long enough to use on the opposite side. That always seemed to work better for me.

I have the same problem. Most of the gas pumps have two "modes", a fast and slow one. Use the slow one and it should work fine!

Mine has done it since day one as well. Just depends on the station. Some better some worse.

Takes jerry cans just fine on the trail!

IMG_8867.jpg

This is finally solved. The problem turned out to be a piece of plastic stuck in the filler neck past the bend. Someone must have used a gas can with a fancy CARB filler nozzle and a piece came off and fell inside the neck. Pain in the butt but got it out and it now fills like a champ. Sucks down $100 worth of gas with no problems 👍

For future reference if you have fueling issues, run a camera down the filler to make sure it’s clear. Next issue can be a stuck rollover check valve inside the gas tank or a plugged charcoal canister, preventing proper venting during fueling.

35541039-4CA7-4E03-B968-18B4310BA232.jpeg
24AD6369-6A60-41DE-80B0-198792239773.jpeg

This is finally solved. The problem turned out to be a piece of plastic stuck in the filler neck past the bend. Someone must have used a gas can with a fancy CARB filler nozzle and a piece came off and fell inside the neck. Pain in the butt but got it out and it now fills like a champ. Sucks down $100 worth of gas with no problems 👍

For future reference if you have fueling issues, run a camera down the filler to make sure it’s clear. Next issue can be a stuck rollover check valve inside the gas tank or a plugged charcoal canister, preventing proper venting during fueling.

View attachment 3050715View attachment 3050716
I have that same problem. What was the best way you cleared it out? What device did you use to extract the plastic?

I have that same problem. What was the best way you cleared it out? What device did you use to extract the plastic?
I cut the pipe underneath right after the bend. Then I pushed it up with a wire. Then use a gas hose and 2 worm clamps to connect it back.

First try using a wire and put a small hook on the end and try to fish it out.

Also do make sure you are not topping off the tank. I know you cant go back in time and see what they previous owner did, but if topped off a lot the vapor system could be jacked up.

I have had problems too, but I could count them on one hand in the last ten years I have owned my 07. I can typically fill up easily at any station. I know all the trucks could be slightly different, but my gut reason for the difficulties some have may very well be due to incorrect filling.
what can you do for a jacked-up vapor system? I have a feeling my fj60 that sat for a long time and was beat to s*** likely has some clogged lines or something. Replaced charcoal canister already and just did an engine rebuild (obviously for a different reason haha) and still having this issue. Curious if it might not be a filler pipe obstruction and the "vapor system could be jacked up" sounds intriguing.

Can one replace the venting separator or clean it to resolve this sort of thing?
Cheers!

genz.jpg

Last edited:
what can you do for a jacked-up vapor system? I have a feeling my fj60 that sat for a long time and was beat to s*** likely has some clogged lines or something. Replaced charcoal canister already and just did an engine rebuild (obviously for a different reason haha) and still having this issue. Curious if it might not be a filler pipe obstruction and the "vapor system could be jacked up" sounds intriguing.

Can one replace the venting separator or clean it to resolve this sort of thing?
Cheers!

View attachment 3508971

So what supposedly happens is the charcoal canister gets fully saturated inside....eventually this saturation of fuel can damage sensors beyond it....at that point a code is typically thrown. I think the only way to 'fix' the separator (charcoal canister) is to replace it. Not sure how sensitive or not a 60 would be to the separator being 'unable to separate' vapors well due to it being saturated or whatever happens inside those things....caked up?...blocked? Maybe.

So what supposedly happens is the charcoal canister gets fully saturated inside....eventually this saturation of fuel can damage sensors beyond it....at that point a code is typically thrown. I think the only way to 'fix' the separator (charcoal canister) is to replace it. Not sure how sensitive or not a 60 would be to the separator being 'unable to separate' vapors well due to it being saturated or whatever happens inside those things....caked up?...blocked? Maybe.
Are the damaged sensors within the canister or elsewhere?

Already replaced the canister.

Are the damaged sensors within the canister or elsewhere?

Already replaced the canister.
Let me just say, you are discussing tech for a 1985 FJ60 in the 2007-2015 FJ Cruiser tech forum. You will have more luck continuing this topic in the proper tech forum.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom