60 Series vs. the 80 Series (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

The best trucks are built , not bought. In stock form, brand new , the '93 and later FJ80 would be a better truck on the highway . On some trails the narrower
body of the 60 has advantages. The fact that you could get lockers on the 80 in the USA is an advantage but you can put air lockers in any 60 for less than the price difference. Long term, the 80 has more electronics that can fail and the 60 is simpler to work on. I've had both. My final choice is a 300hp GM, injected motor in
a 60 with front and rear lockers and a dual transfer case with 80 axles and upgraded axles. Every truck has a weak spot. Buy what you like and address the weak points as needed or desired whether your desire is to be on or off road. Someone with no desire to go wheeling won't have interest in lockers or dual transfers

I’m from the future. Upon reading I had to say something. Now In 2022, it’s normal to see low milage 3x locked 80 series selling over 30k. Just thought I would add. If you were smart you would have bought one then and kept it. Haha.
Check out the signature of the person you quoted. They do own an 80. It would also have been a good move to buy a 60 series in 2004. I bought one in 2003, basically rust free, for $4900 and enjoyed it for 18 years.

The best trucks are built , not bought. In stock form, brand new , the '93 and later FJ80 would be a better truck on the highway . On some trails the narrower
body of the 60 has advantages. The fact that you could get lockers on the 80 in the USA is an advantage but you can put air lockers in any 60 for less than the price difference. Long term, the 80 has more electronics that can fail and the 60 is simpler to work on. I've had both. My final choice is a 300hp GM, injected motor in
a 60 with front and rear lockers and a dual transfer case with 80 axles and upgraded axles. Every truck has a weak spot. Buy what you like and address the weak points as needed or desired whether your desire is to be on or off road. Someone with no desire to go wheeling won't have interest in lockers or dual transfers
Can't say it any better than that.

I actually think the 80 looks better than the stock 60. Looks more aggressive and the stock 60 wheels look a little too inset under the wells. A saggy one looks like it's your grandma's station wagon. Since looks are everything...

But put a set of manually locked 80 axles under a 60 with the coil conversion and refresh the interior and it's radical man! None of that plastic electronic crap to fail. The ony plastic gonna fail on your 60 is the window roller uppers.

Even better a 12ht or 1hdt but that's big $$$. I'll settle for a 1hz.

Hooey! First I gotta do the basics like fix rust!

I actually think the 80 looks better than the stock 60. Looks more aggressive and the stock 60 wheels look a little too inset under the wells. A saggy one looks like it's your grandma's station wagon. Since looks are everything...

But put a set of manually locked 80 axles under a 60 with the coil conversion and refresh the interior and it's radical man! None of that plastic electronic crap to fail. The ony plastic gonna fail on your 60 is the window roller uppers.

i like 60's because they CAN come with a GLOW Feature step Ignition Lock Cylinder ......... :D

kustom koito LED HJ61.jpg

1HZ is so expensive, I looked into getting one.

This thread is literally older than me.

I think the real ideal truck is a 60 body on a 80 frame…. Coil springs. However i really like the look of the 80…. I like the look of my 60 more but it needs some better wider offset rims and maybe a leveling kit? I like the look of the round headlight 60 more, and I would convert mine but some idiot spray painted the front grill of my 84 parts truck and it looks terrible.

Any ARB on a Crusier looks really really good, I think it complements the look of my 62, without it it looks weird. Wish I could find some old pictures of the family’s 80 series, it was mint and kitted out, had Factory lockers too…. Pretty sure we sold it for less than 8k, I’m really really sad it’s gone…. I want to drive it so bad.

Build it the way you want it, 90 FJ62 converted to round headlights mounted on a 97 40th FZJ80 chassis, drivetrain and interior.

264E0E68-CD4E-4DA3-85A9-9671FFC5B514.jpeg

30BEB8BA-8FCE-4B03-A6EC-33F7535F464E.jpeg

CF80FC3B-E597-4E58-9F38-D0C17AFB2CE4.jpeg

333FED35-0E7B-47AE-B536-D03302E04AEC.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom