Electrical Question on 97LX450 (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I’ve got a 97 LX450. When I come up to a stop and turn on the turn signal, my D light dims a bit to the rhythm of the turn signal. Also, the headlights dim a bit when I operate the power windows. Is this a ground issue? If so, what connections should I check?

Ground wires, but more likely a weak alternator.

When sitting at a light with headlights on and turn signal on, does it start to click or stutter and hear a buzzing? That would be low voltage.

I have an UltraGauge installed on my dash to watch this exact scenario when the alternator starts to get weak.

My rig did this, than I installed the updated slee wiring harness and the headlights stopped dimming when rolling the windows up or whenever the bass hit.

Ground wires, but more likely a weak alternator.

When sitting at a light with headlights on and turn signal on, does it start to click or stutter and hear a buzzing? That would be low voltage.

I have an UltraGauge installed on my dash to watch this exact scenario when the alternator starts to get weak.
No click, stutter, or buzz. I have an Ultra Gauge, as well. I’ll set to monitor voltage. While I’ve got an ultra gauge user engaged, I’ve got another question…do you ever monitor short term and long term fuel trim? If so, what values do you see for STFT and LTFT? My LTFT is usually around +10 (+/-2) and STFT is always between -5 and +5. With ethanol-free gas I see LTFT around +7 to +9. Do these readings seem normal? I see FSM says +/- 20 FT readings are OK.

No click, stutter, or buzz. I have an Ultra Gauge, as well. I’ll set to monitor voltage. While I’ve got an ultra gauge user engaged, I’ve got another question…do you ever monitor short term and long term fuel trim? If so, what values do you see for STFT and LTFT? My LTFT is usually around +10 (+/-2) and STFT is always between -5 and +5. With ethanol-free gas I see LTFT around +7 to +9. Do these readings seem normal? I see FSM says +/- 20 FT readings are OK.
I don't monitor fuel trim, but I occasionally monitor my O2 sensors.

I mostly monitor speed, RPM, temp, voltage.

If it wouldn’t be too big a PITA, I’d be curious what STFT and LTFT you are seeing, as well as O2 readings. Thanks
I'll see if I can find it and let you know. It won't be until Tuesday or Wednesday though. I've got about 4 hours of driving each day.

Yes. 15K to 20K miles per year.

I average 11.5 MPG.
Awesome! I live in the salt belt- Indiana. Daily most days in warm months. Store in winter. If you could grab your fuel trims, I’d appreciate it. Are you running original engine? I’ve never tracked my overall MPGs, but I will next time I fuel. I’m running a 2” lift and 295 tires with ARB bull bar. Can’t think my MPGs are much different than yours.

When I come up to a stop and turn on the turn signal, my D light dims a bit to the rhythm of the turn signal. Also, the headlights dim a bit when I operate the power windows.

My headlights would dim in time with the turn signals. Even with a rebuilt alternator.

I upgraded to a Sequoia 150A alternator with Photoman's bracket and pulley and never had a problem again. It never drops below ~13.4V, even at idle.

Awesome! Got part #s?

Nope. I believe that the Photoman bracket is currently unavailable, but it's supposed to be available again soon. The alternator part numbers for the 130 and 150 amp alternators can be found in a thread here. There's also a rumor that a Jaguar alternator might be easily adaptable.

Nope. I believe that the Photoman bracket is currently unavailable, but it's supposed to be available again soon. The alternator part numbers for the 130 and 150 amp alternators can be found in a thread here. There's also a rumor that a Jaguar alternator might be easily adaptable.
10-4 and thank you!

BTW, that looks like about $8500 annually in fuel. Ouch. You must have a heavy setup.
I carry a lot of tools and parts with me for job sites and fabrication shops. Most of mileage is expensed each year.

I carry a lot of tools and parts with me for job sites and fabrication shops. Most of mileage is expensed each year.
I understand that. I’m in the sawmill business and we have contractors that do the same for us. None that drive 80s, however. That’s pretty awesome that you daily it.

Jaguar. Just no. No. No. No.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom