LX470 2004 | Need help with Android Screen (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Depends on which radio and MFD you have. On mine (see below), only one plug (middle top) from the MFD was needed for AC. The radio had two go into the supplied harness adapter, one for power (bottom right) and one for steering wheel controls (bottom middle). Small plug on radio goes to rear console. Small plug on MFD goes to stock reverse camera, I think. The main plug that supplies power to MFD didn't go to any connector on my adapter harness. Your extra adapter harness plug didn't connect to anything on mine either.

LC Headunit.JPG

I think my problem with Teyes may not be related to that connector. After I put everything back, the radio wasn't working. Turns out a fuse blew. After replacing that the radio works again. I'll probably not try to install Teyes again til after July 4th weekend as we're going on a roadtrip and I don't want anything to break.

Ok, made some progress but not completely working. So I decided to try again as I could just swap back the OEM unit before the weekend if it doesn't work. There is a bunch of plugs that don't get used which seems to be fine. There are two main things not working:

- When using the radio app, the antenna does not go up. However, if I go into "vehicle settings" and use the "car radio", the antenna does go up, however that app doesn't actually work other than that.
- HVAC doesn't work at all and this is my bigger problem.

I tried different canbus settings with different Toyota vehicles, but none of them seem to work. Also tried setting it to NULL and then back to LC100. I did hear some sounds going on in the car, so something is happening, but the HVAC controls don't work (note that the physical buttons also don't work but I think that is expected). Also note that the HVAC video controls don't seem to have a button to turn on side mirror defrost and not sure about rear window defrost. Tried factory reset twice already. So far not looking good. Can't use my car w/o HVAC.

Ok, after going back through this thread, I didn't realize the black box was still needed. So after plugging that one back in, the HVAC works! No hissing sound either, the audio sounds really good. (build date is 7/5). So the only problem I see so far is that the radio app does NOT raise the antenna. The manual antenna buttons also don't work. However, if I go into the "Car Radio" part of "Vehicle Settings" (where the HVAC controls are), then it DOES raise the antenna even though that radio doesn't work and is in Chinese (even though I have English set for the language). Not a huge deal right now as even with the antenna down I get ok reception but haven't taken out for a drive yet to see how it's impacted. CarPlay works well but the Google Maps app actually looks better on this screen as CarPlay looks huge. As you can see in the pic, the buttons on the bottom for Rear, rear defrost, and side mirror defrost all work again.

Ordered this fixed antenna 1998-2007 Lexus LX 470 Antenna Mast Parts, 86300-60160, 86300-60161, 86337-60151, 86396-89102, 86392-60150 - http://www.theantennasource.com/LEXUS/LX470/1998-2007-LX-470.html#1A. Will go for a drive tomorrow to test it on the road. Spent some time installing some apps. Going to tether it to my phone and see if I prefer that to Carplay.

teyes.jpg

Last edited:
@xswl did you put the factory antennas into the factory radio or one of them into the T'eyes unit?

@xswl did you put the factory antennas into the factory radio or one of them into the T'eyes unit?

I put the factory antenna into the Teyes unit and the other smaller antenna wire into the factory unit (as there's no where to put it into the Teyes). Turns out there is a workaround for raising/lowering the antenna. To raise the antenna, just push the hardware AM/Sat button. To lower it, press the aux button in the mini radio player on the Teyes screen. Works well enough for now, but shows it should be solvable in software.

The only problem I have right now is that the OEM backup camera doesn't work. Not sure if I need to connect it differently, but there were two camera-in yellow plugs from the adapter connector and the Teyes that I connected together. To be clear, shifting in reverse does nothing currently.

I put the factory antenna into the Teyes unit and the other smaller antenna wire into the factory unit (as there's no where to put it into the Teyes). Turns out there is a workaround for raising/lowering the antenna. To raise the antenna, just push the hardware AM/Sat button. To lower it, press the aux button in the mini radio player on the Teyes screen. Works well enough for now, but shows it should be solvable in software.

The only problem I have right now is that the OEM backup camera doesn't work. Not sure if I need to connect it differently, but there were two camera-in yellow plugs from the adapter connector and the Teyes that I connected together. To be clear, shifting in reverse does nothing currently.

Same here, I can get the antenna to raise if I press the FM or am buttons on the factory radio. At that point, I can use the up/down antenna button.

My OEM reverse camera doesn't work either. I don't think it's supposed to work with the Teyes unit. I looked over this thread several times and seems most that have a reverse camera purchased the Teyes one.

My OEM reverse camera doesn't work either. I don't think it's supposed to work with the Teyes unit. I looked over this thread several times and seems most that have a reverse camera purchased the Teyes one.

The OEM camera isn't the best quality, so maybe this is a good time to upgrade. I actually ordered two of the Teyes cameras hoping I can use one as a front camera for overlanding. Found a mounting bracket that fits the top bolts of the license plate, so that seems like a good location and makes it easy to mount the camera. Not sure if I want to mess with it today or after the July 4th weekend.

The OEM camera isn't the best quality, so maybe this is a good time to upgrade. I actually ordered two of the Teyes cameras hoping I can use one as a front camera for overlanding. Found a mounting bracket that fits the top bolts of the license plate, so that seems like a good location and makes it easy to mount the camera. Not sure if I want to mess with it today or after the July 4th weekend.

I'm tempted to do the same. Not excited about running all new video cables and the extra wiring though. I do miss my reverse camera.

Before I start trying to install the aftermarket reverse camera, wanted to see who here has already done it with the Teyes and if they had any tips. For example, does the Teyes automatically handle detecting going into reverse or do I really need to tap into the reverse lights?

Before I start trying to install the aftermarket reverse camera, wanted to see who here has already done it with the Teyes and if they had any tips. For example, does the Teyes automatically handle detecting going into reverse or do I really need to tap into the reverse lights?

The canbus should automatically do the detection and screen switching. Tapping into reverse gives you a 12V source to power the camera itself.

I just wired it according to their diagram, though I did first do it all in the front seat to make sure the connections were what I needed.

They originally sent me the wrong head unit but correct bezel, I emailed them and within 48 hours I received a picture of the new unit and ship confirmation without me returning the old unit yet, so well played by them. I was concerned they would want to old one back first.

Question, are you supposed to plug the canbus decoder in on both sides? There is a 2 pin plug that fits but other install vids only show it plugged in on one side.

Question, are you supposed to plug the canbus decoder in on both sides? There is a 2 pin plug that fits but other install vids only show it plugged in on one side.

Mine is plugged in on both sides, but I don't think my canbus signal is being ready correctly.

I am about to purchase the Teyes but I have three burning questions,

1) How does the storage size/ram size affect the device, does more ram mean quicker booting up time? What option are you all purchasing?
2) Would I be able to retain my BT45-TOY bluetooth module for the audio while using this device for everything else? I never use the radio, just bluetooth from my phone or aux. I will attach a picture of where the BT45 attaches on the factory unit.
3) Is the apple carplay wireless or is it through a USB cable? If it is through a cable, is that connected to the back of the device? Little confused on that bit.

1656802526413.png

Thanks.

1. I purchased the top of the line. Thought it might future proof it a bit
2. Not sure why you'd need the bt45 after the install of the Teyes. It offers same functionality. Not sure it would work either.
3. Android auto is wireless or through the USB, which I routed to the bottom of the ashtray. My phone works either way. I assume carplay is the same.

1. I also bought the top of the line as you can install apps from the Google Playstore and also I plan to download one of the offline maps apps and offline maps aren't small. The cost difference isn't huge so more storage is more future proof.
2. I took out my VAISTech bluetooth adapter that I was using happily for a long time since you can connect via bluetooth to the Teyes and play music that way. However, since the Teyes is just an Android device, lots of music apps available for it.
3. Carplay is wireless but you can also do USB. It does take some time to connect wirelessly so USB might be a good option as it would also charge your phone.

The canbus decoder needs to be connected on both sides. Only one plug should fit on either side. The canbus decoder is required for HVAC to work (and maybe some other functionality).

@xswl that’s great news! You got rid of the hissing! What exactly did you do differently to clear it up? I feel like I’ve tried every possible connection set up, but maybe I missed something. I happily keep this thing if I could get rid of the hissing. Any details you can forward would be much appreciated.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom