T-Style Android Head Unit first impressions - 2016+ model (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I've looked into the possibility of using the factory microphone a bit. I haven't found anything definitive for the Land Cruiser, but given that Toyota uses a lot of components across multiple models, just as any manufacturer does, it doesn't look promising. The following post on the Tundras forum says it can't be done because the factory mic has a preamp inline while the aftermarket head units need an unamplified mic signal. Assuming the same applies to our Land Cruisers, then we're stuck using the mic built into the head unit or a separate external mic, as supplied with the head unit, unless one is willing to modify the factory wiring to bypass the inline amplifier (I'm not interested in doing that).

Maybe an attenuator for the amplified mic output. Assuming there isnt some sort of control built into the amplifier that requires the factory head unit to turn it on.

Maybe an attenuator for the amplified mic output. Assuming there isnt some sort of control built into the amplifier that requires the factory head unit to turn it on.
I am no electronics guru by any means so take this for what it’s worth. I would think the Toyota engineers used an amplified mic for a reason. If a non-amplified mic works in this location that would surely have been cheaper and less complicated to put into the production vehicle. Being able to use the factory Mike or even the factory location would be pretty cool though.

I’m gonna experiment with some locations for the mic and see what seems to work best and then go from there.

62A13119-010D-424C-9939-2B3B09E83045.jpeg
16B59286-3EE4-4269-9B11-45F6D45E97B5.jpeg
40473E5B-031A-4197-B8A0-EDF8147AF933.jpeg

I am no electronics guru by any means so take this for what it’s worth. I would think the Toyota engineers used an amplified mic for a reason. If a non-amplified mic works in this location that would surely have been cheaper and less complicated to put into the production vehicle. Being able to use the factory Mike or even the factory location would be pretty cool though.

I’m gonna experiment with some locations for the mic and see what seems to work best and then go from there.

View attachment 3043600View attachment 3043601View attachment 3043602
That’s why I say using an attenuator rather than disabling the amp. The only reason you can’t use a non OEM head unit with the factory mic is because the amp that is in the OEM mic is essentially on the non OEM HU so you are doubling the amplification. From a engineering standpoint, it’s better to have the amplifier at the mic rather than at the HU, so it’s understandable why Toyota does it that way, but since you can’t defeat the amp at the Non OEM HU the only way to use both would be to attenuate the signal between them. Not sure if it’s worth the trouble, but without modifying the circuit, that’s the only way. This ignores the idea, that possibly the amp/mic is t always active. If that’s the case then the point is moot, unless you also want to provide power to the amp, which may be possible.

The other way is to cut the wire to bypass the preamp, but that isn’t an option I’m interested in going with. I’ll just find a way to get the external mic to work. We can also explore other external mic options that may have more flexible mounting options.

I have had some new communication from Jackie Tang:

what's your receiving tel number

{I sent it to him}

ok

today ship

tomorrrow give you tracking number
It's nice being past the "did my wire transfer make it to the right place?" phase. Now I get to see how long my shipment gets tied up in customs. If it gets through without much of a delay, I should be in good shape to get it installed before my trip. 🤞

The GPS antenna adapters should arrive today. It has occured to me that the factory connector that might be the GPS antenna could also be the satellite radio antenna (wouldn't it be nice if Toyota labeled these things to make our lives easier when we go and modify stuff?), so that one is a wait and see kind of thing. If the adapter doesn't work, I'll go with the included GPS antenna puck for now and investigate further after my trip.

The screen protector will allegedly arrive today as well, but the USPS tracking info suggests otherwise - it jumped from PA to a distribution center in MA (almost here...) to OH yesterday (huh???). Looks like man or machine tossed the package into the wrong bin. So I'm guessing the screen protector will arrive later than today.

I have had some new communication from Jackie Tang:

It's nice being past the "did my wire transfer make it to the right place?" phase. Now I get to see how long my shipment gets tied up in customs. If it gets through without much of a delay, I should be in good shape to get it installed before my trip. 🤞

The GPS antenna adapters should arrive today. It has occured to me that the factory connector that might be the GPS antenna could also be the satellite radio antenna (wouldn't it be nice if Toyota labeled these things to make our lives easier when we go and modify stuff?), so that one is a wait and see kind of thing. If the adapter doesn't work, I'll go with the included GPS antenna puck for now and investigate further after my trip.

The screen protector will allegedly arrive today as well, but the USPS tracking info suggests otherwise - it jumped from PA to a distribution center in MA (almost here...) to OH yesterday (huh???). Looks like man or machine tossed the package into the wrong bin. So I'm guessing the screen protector will arrive later than today.

There was no delay in customs that I could tell unless they do customs there at the Shenzhen hub. Once I saw movement to Alaska it was a few days before it was on my doorstep.

I got my screen protector a few days ago and am going to put it on today. Have a mini-human takes a lot of time away from these projects!

See around the 30 second mark on my video. I placed my GPS antenna and mic both on the surface right in front of the gauge cluster. Out of all the various spots in my 2009 LX that seemed to work best for the external microphone.

-

FWIW, I've added some more feedback to my <2016 Tesla unit thread after getting back from a trip using it.

The UPS tracking info indicates my package "cleared import customs", is on the way to Anchorage, AK as of 9AM this morning (east coast time) and is scheduled for delivery tomorrow. If I actually have it in my hands tomorrow, that will be perfect since I don't have any big plans for the long holiday weekend. The GPS antenna adapters from Discount Car Stereo arrived today as well, so unless I need longer cables I'll be able to try them out as well.

I need to remember to uninstall some stuff on the EC Offroad interface module to get it back as close to "as delivered" as possible AND log out of my Google account before I pull it out as swapping it back in to do that would be a pain. The plan is to sell it once I'm happy with how the Tesla style unit is working.

Why do you lose XM with these units? No built in interface?
AFAIK, the XM receiver is built into the factory head unit components that get pulled out, leaving just the XM antenna connection behind. Assuming this is correct and there isn't an XM tuner module somewhere else in the car, one could conceivably purchase a standalone XM tuner, hook it up to the factory XM antenna (using an appropriate adapter cable), take the analog audio out and send it into the AUX input on this Tesla style unit. Some XM tuners can also pair up via Bluetooth. I was curious about this, so I took a quick look for potential XM tuner modules the other day and couldn't find anything that could be tastefully installed and not have a big bulky 12V lighter plug. But I didn't look too hard.

If the XM tuner module does remain in the car, there won't be anything left that knows how to talk to it.

The XM app can obviously be installed from the Google Play Store on the head unit or XM can be used over CarPlay / Android Auto, with the downside that it won't work if you don't have a decent cell data connection. So XM won't be available in some remote areas.

I'll probably end up canceling my existing XM satellite / app subscription and switch to an app only subscription once I have this new unit working well and am sure I won't be switching back.

Thanks Geoff. Yeah I like XM via satellite antenna too much to drop it. Long drives out to AZ etc it’s great. I have a lifetime membership attached to this head unit so probably not interested in losing that either.

Thanks for the info.
I've had good luck transferring my subscriptions to new cars over the years, but have never had a lifetime subscription and it wouldn't be shocking if those can't be transferred. I like having the satellite option as well, but not enough to prevent me from making this switch. If I'm in an area with poor cell coverage, I have pretty much my entire music collection with me on USB storage, so I'll be able to listen to something. Since I installed the EC Offroad module that you and I both currently use, I have barely used the factory XM capability. I also only have about 7000 miles on my LC in 2 years of ownership, so I haven't been going anywhere either :). My upcoming trip is going to shock the LC as it's going to get ~2000 miles added on from a 10 day trip.

They have a program with older vehicles where they will sell you a 3 yr subscription for $99. That’s what I did when I got my LX. I don’t remember how old the vehicle needs to be before it qualifies.

I have a 2013 cruiser with the 16" unit from EC Offroad.
Biggest pile of garbage I've ever owned.
Have to manually connect Bluetooth every single time it's powered on.
Can't use the Torque-it app unless I "pair" it every single time.
The volume resets itself to 0 randomly , so I'm for ever turning the volume up
The radio function skips its self out of tune randomly
The steering wheel buttons are all reversed ( can't be changed )
The Ac temp up and down buttons are on the wrong sides - passenger side has master control....
And the best part of all - 14 months old and the screen display is dead.
All touch functions still work along with the back lighting but no display.

Now I need to find a replacement that actually does as advertised

20210708_171926.jpg

20220530_064408.jpg

I have a 2013 cruiser with the 16" unit from EC Offroad.
Biggest pile of garbage I've ever owned.
Have to manually connect Bluetooth every single time it's powered on.
Can't use the Torque-it app unless I "pair" it every single time.
The volume resets itself to 0 randomly , so I'm for ever turning the volume up
The radio function skips its self out of tune randomly
The steering wheel buttons are all reversed ( can't be changed )
The Ac temp up and down buttons are on the wrong sides - passenger side has master control....
And the best part of all - 14 months old and the screen display is dead.
All touch functions still work along with the back lighting but no display.

Now I need to find a replacement that actually does as advertised

View attachment 3047061

View attachment 3047063
Yikes! I have a 2013 too and just installed EC Offroad unit but a US spec, from your pics, yours is right hand drive. Shouldn’t matter though. Did all of this stuff work initially and then fail or has it never worked? If u r in Australia, what is EC Offroad saying? I had some install and setting issues and they were helpful via email and phone.

Sorry to hear of the problems with the EC Offroad unit, but it probably makes sense to try to keep these threads more focused on model years and specific head unit models as each combination is going to have a different set of installation specifics and configuration items to sort out.

Also keep in mind that EC Offroad switches hardware at somewhat regular intervals, so talking about the product they sell for a 2013 LC but purchased a year apart could easily be discussing different Android hardware platforms. In the threads we created for the EC Offroad interface modules (the non-Tesla style options that retain the factory infotainment), we started a thread for the old version of the module and then started a new thread for the newer version of the module after they changed the hardware platform - both were for 2016+ Land Cruisers, but the feature set, installation specifics, and issues we had to work through were different. The newer hardware was a huge improvement.

Sorry to hear of the problems with the EC Offroad unit, but it probably makes sense to try to keep these threads more focused on model years and specific head unit models as each combination is going to have a different set of installation specifics and configuration items to sort out.

Also keep in mind that EC Offroad switches hardware at somewhat regular intervals, so talking about the product they sell for a 2013 LC but purchased a year apart could easily be discussing different Android hardware platforms. In the threads we created for the EC Offroad interface modules (the non-Tesla style options that retain the factory infotainment), we started a thread for the old version of the module and then started a new thread for the newer version of the module after they changed the hardware platform - both were for 2016+ Land Cruisers, but the feature set, installation specifics, and issues we had to work through were different. The newer hardware was a huge improvement.
Agreed. Here’s a link to my thread which would be applicable to <2016 LC. Is out “<2016” in the title if it would let me edit that but it doesn’t seem to allow that.

Last edited:
Agreed. Here’s a link to my thread which would be applicable to <2016 LC. Is out “<2016” in the title if it would let me edit that but it doesn’t seem to allow that.
If you're blocked from editing it, a moderator can probably do that for you. I just checked one of my threads that I started over a year ago. If I edit the first post, I can still edit the title, which is in a separate edit field just above the box where the first post can be edited.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom