Builds Uglina is Back Thread ('78 Mustard FJ40) (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

You probably could sell those tires on FB or Craigslist. If you want to put in the time. I tossed mine and kept the wheels because they were original to the vehicle. My kids will probably be annoyed when they pull them out of the attic after I die. :rofl:

Someone will take those tires. I gave mine away several years ago, guy came and took them to Big O, paid Big O to dismount off my rims, kept the tires and returned my stock wheels to me.

If anyone in Utah wants those tires, contact me. I've had them dis-mounted and they are now being stored at a local shop.

I had the new General Grabber A/T 235/85r16 mounted on the new City Racer 16x5" steelies today.

Photos of other 235/85r16 rigs, and specs, led me to believe these would have a smaller outer diameter from the 33x10.5r15 BFGs. But they are almost exactly the same size.

Both measured almost exactly 36" to bottom of fender front and back (these pics were taken with the BFGs):

Width is almost identical as well:

While I didn't succeed in reducing my gearing with a slightly smaller outer diameter, I'm happy with a) the slightly darker gray of the City Racer wheels, because it's more OE, b) the winter/snow rating, c) knowing I'm not on 17-year-old tires, and d) knowing I can find new tires that fit much easier due to the 16" rims.

After, I went on a little pilgrimage...

Charlie, she looks great. I'm sure the EFI helped the driveability a bunch in the high altitude. The new tires and wheels look very nice. You know, if you ever want to sell her again, I might like to buy her again. :) I am building a new shop/garage, and she'd look pretty good there. Best of luck. Jack

Charlie, I have been thinking about 16” wheels. What was the reason behind the size 16” tire you picked and not going back w the BFG KO2 tire?

BFG no longer makes 'em.

Far more tire choices in 16" wheels than 15".

Charlie, she looks great. I'm sure the EFI helped the driveability a bunch in the high altitude. The new tires and wheels look very nice. You know, if you ever want to sell her again, I might like to buy her again. :) I am building a new shop/garage, and she'd look pretty good there. Best of luck. Jack

Great hearing from you Jack! I hope you are thriving.

I highly doubt I'll ever let her go again. But my wife knows who to call if I get crushed by a meteorite. I appreciate how you took care of her, and am doubly appreciative you gave me the opportunity to get her back.

BFG no longer makes 'em.

Far more tire choices in 16" wheels than 15".

Great hearing from you Jack! I hope you are thriving.

I highly doubt I'll ever let her go again. But my wife knows who to call if I get crushed by a meteorite. I appreciate how you took care of her, and am doubly appreciative you gave me the opportunity to get her back.

BFG doesn’t make 16” tires? Are you sure? Also do t they still sell 33x15”? In KO2.

BFG doesn’t make 16” tires? Are you sure? Also do t they still sell 33x15”? In KO2.

Sorry, I totally misunderstood your question. I thought you were asking why I went 16".

Truth be told, I got the tires I got because almost everything else I looked at was massively back ordered. I had limited time to get the job done and the General reviews were really great.

@TEQ this is one of my favorite threads. Great story about getting it back, great mods, and it's great to see another mustard '78.

When they did the Koito headlight install, any idea what they did with the extra wire? I assume they cut it and spliced. Do you have any pics? I did that install not long ago and mine are all zip tied currently, waiting for me to get my act together.

Also, if you still have the tires, maybe the land cruiser museum could use them? I think it's near you, and their rigs probably don't see much mileage.

You've got some awesome vehicles, fun to see them.

On Friday afternoon a group of us went wheeling up near Tibble Fork Reservoir. This is the first time Uglina has really gone wheeling 'in anger' since I got her back. I was a bit nervous about whether she'd hold together, but as the evening went on my confidence increased (as you can see in the video above <g>).

Total hoot of a time. It was awsome being able to use an FJ40 the way they were designed.

Last edited:
I‘m running the 255-85-16 Geolander MT’s. I would be afraid to drive on something that bumpy. Which doesn’t make sense considering that is what it’s designed to do. If I hit a large pothole or bump in the road my tire carrier actually makes contact with my rear door or tailgate. My truck came to me with a dent in the rear door which was clearly made by the tire carrier being pushed in to the door. Your video got me thinking that maybe it was rebuilt with a sub-pa material. The welds definitely don’t look like something you would expect from a factory. Would you mind taking a picture of your tire carrier like the photos below? I was thinking of going with a 4plus product but really don‘t want to drill holes and lose my bumperettes. I doubt your 235’s weight that much more than my 285’s. Maybe I just need a tire carrier that hasn’t been tampered with. Thanks.

1FCE54A5-4D95-43E2-8974-B28AC96B7215.jpeg

6723B5F3-10E5-4053-9455-280A53C6B88A.jpeg

Which doesn’t make sense considering that is what it’s designed to do. If I hit a large pothole or bump in the road my tire carrier actually makes contact with my rear door or tailgate. My truck came to me with a dent in the rear door which was clearly made by the tire carrier being pushed in to the door. Your video got me thinking that maybe it was rebuilt with a sub-pa material. The welds definitely don’t look like something you would expect from a factory.

Check to see if the reinforcement panels are still located on the inside of the quarters behind the bolt locations for the hinges. That will tell you if it's been rebuilt at some point.

Add a wheel spacer to your spare tire carrier and it will push the tire out further away from the body. I use a 1.5inch spacer.

Check to see if the reinforcement panels are still located on the inside of the quarters behind the bolt locations for the hinges. That will tell you if it's been rebuilt at some point.

Add a wheel spacer to your spare tire carrier and it will push the tire out further away from the body. I use a 1.5inch spacer.
I have the reinforcement panels in place. It is not moving there. It’s the top bar that is flexing. I would think moving the tire out further away from the body would make it worse. Try holding a 25 lb. plate at your chest and then holding it with your arms straight out in front of you. After looking through pictures on google I think the top bar has been bent in causing the dent in the door, then bent back out causing metal fatigue, increasing the chances of it hitting the door after a big bump or pothole. Sorry to muck up your thread, @TEQ. I’ll leave it at that. More blue Bimmers and Mustard Land Cruisers please.

I have the reinforcement panels in place. It is not moving there. It’s the top bar that is flexing. I would think moving the tire out further away from the body would make it worse. Try holding a 25 lb. plate at your chest and then holding it with your arms straight out in front of you. After looking through pictures on google I think the top bar has been bent in causing the dent in the door, then bent back out causing metal fatigue, increasing the chances of it hitting the door after a big bump or pothole. Sorry to muck up your thread, @TEQ. I’ll leave it at that. More blue Bimmers and Mustard Land Cruisers please.
Last post on the spare tire carrier, but here are pics of mine. Same year and color as @TEQ.

BC0C1F75-CAE3-447C-A755-AC3A45F97292.jpeg

9A0F02D5-633B-48FB-92A8-950E9290B7A2.jpeg

7FBB2D9F-31CB-4A59-A80F-1E18D7314BF6.jpeg

Hi all.

The fleet is on its way to Durango.

I am also on my way; at Denver airport right now waiting for my flight to Durango.

The fleet is supposed to arrive tomorrow, so that's groovy.

I have found a temporary 15x50 storage unit (14' high door) in Durango. It will serve as a place to keep the cars that I'm not driving around Durango and all my parts/tools until I can figure out my new shop situation there.

I plan on doing a ton of wheeling in the Durango area this summer in Uglina. Eager to meet new peeps in the area, so if you're there please reach out!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom