Ideas to ship daughter's 80 Series N. Idaho to Washington, DC? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Many years ago when some of you couldn't shave yet, we talked about a "Mud-ship" thread where we could try to connect folks wanting a bulky item shipped here and there might find someone on Mud with a trailer with space going the same direction. I pulled an FJ40 from Boise to Illinois as I was headed to FL to buy a Vanagon for some gas money, for instance.

Our daughter just moved to the DC area and she's missing her 80 Series, so we're looking to see if anything like the "Mud-ship" thing has been active on the site. Failing that, obviously I'm looking for any tips on shipping an 80, or perhaps someone from Seattle's been itching to go buy that perfect FJ tub in Virginia, etc. Thoughts? Thanks in advance.

Many years ago when some of you couldn't shave yet, we talked about a "Mud-ship" thread where we could try to connect folks wanting a bulky item shipped here and there might find someone on Mud with a trailer with space going the same direction. I pulled an FJ40 from Boise to Illinois as I was headed to FL to buy a Vanagon for some gas money, for instance.

Our daughter just moved to the DC area and she's missing her 80 Series, so we're looking to see if anything like the "Mud-ship" thing has been active on the site. Failing that, obviously I'm looking for any tips on shipping an 80, or perhaps someone from Seattle's been itching to go buy that perfect FJ tub in Virginia, etc. Thoughts? Thanks in advance.
There is a Mudship section in the Classifieds. If that doesn't work, I would look at one of the depot to depot shipping companies, assuming you are looking for the cheapest shipping price and also assuming that time is not of the essence.

Summit all the way. We shipped a Camry to CA from VA in February. Class act all the way!! Aaron communicated all aspects of the transaction to me promptly. Go to his website to get the ball rolling. He will call you, not fifty broker types just looking for a chance to bid.

Edit: @IdahoDoug I still have your head gasket dvd somewhere in my parts stash. Good times brother!

Ha!

Yes, it's here. You old Boomer! Can't find anything on this dadgum electronic box thingy!

Post up in that there thread what, how, when, and see what kind of a bite you get. You will need to provide weights and dimensions and maybe even if you're willing to have it driven from one location to the other instead of just shipped.
Sometimes you can get someone wanting an adventure to get it from point A to point B and if it's roadworthy enough, they can take it.

Hey, I got your boomer - right here! (visualize Jackie Gleason shaking his ham fist at ya!). Heh....

Hey, I got your boomer - right here! (visualize Jackie Gleason shaking his ham fist at ya!). Heh....
It's funny because I'm right there with you!

I'm just under the Boomer moniker......

Once she gets it here there's a good group of like-minded Land Cruiser folks in the area. We're pretty active with wheeling events, tech days and club gathering. It'd be nice to have another 80 around.

I had great luck with @Riverrunner shipping an 80 from Texas to Maine.

Even got us debating if we should use him to ship my sons 80 to Montana for school this year instead of doing the drive. But plan to do the drive as another father son trip.

Doing that trip to Bozeman in late August and I would offer to drive her truck to DC if you could get it to Bozeman. But I suspect the gas and then getting me home from DC would be significantly more than the shipping. I think what I paid for shipping was less than I would have spent picking my truck up in TX.
Good luck
John

Be sure it has a modern alarm and GPS tracking.
The locals aren't known for keeping their hands off other peoples stuff.

Having lived in DC for 10+ years, I am not sure her living arrangements but DC isn't all that kind to 80s for things like parking, emissions, etc. I know I had places in the Rosslyn VA area where the parking garages were only 6'1" tall. Not to mention if she will have a place to work on the 80 if it has issues etc. I am going to get hung here for this but with the money it is going to cost to ship it, and the money she could make selling it, she could probably get herself into a later model year 4Runner that might be able to do all the things she needs but small enough to fit DC a little better.....

"DC area" typically means outside of DC and I get the sense the 80 would be a second vehicle. I suppose it's also an assumption she's working downtown. If she isn't then an 80 would be perfectly fine in Northern VA. Parking the 80 at most Metro stations would be fine as well if she needed to get downtown.

Whatever you do, don't use some cut rate 2 star shipping service. I've had shipping a vehicle turn into a nightmare. Might have saved like $200 going the cheap route. The blood pressure increase was not worth it.

Well, looks like it will be a good old fashioned LandCruiser summer cross country road trip. I got nice courteous replies from the recommended shippers, but their pricing is at the mercy of Biden's energy plan for America. Bummer, as that's a week I don't get to see her. Thanks, Joe.

FYI, I'm now offering to take things on this route, so check Mudship if you're a candidate!

Last edited:
You guys are old af.

I’ve used @Riverrunner with great success too. Aaron is a solid dude and I’ll use him like I used your mom. Who’s mom? Whoever’s reading this at the moment’s mom. Damn you guys are old. Did I already say that?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom