Builds Car souq pickup (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Vet run this morning.

7152F738-AAF5-4153-8961-AF0C32D323C9.jpeg

I might need to start a separate thread but I will start here. My FZJ75 has an H150F transmission (5 speed). It has performed flawlessly since I bought the pickup except it doesn't always want to downshift from 3rd to 2nd. I changed the trans fluid to Redline Synthetic MT90 and that didn't make the issue any better so I just assumed I would need to have the synchros addressed at some point in the future.

Fast forward to today and since getting the pickup at the port it doesn't want to shift into reverse. Most of the time you need a bit of a rolling start (preferably backwards) to get it to go but when you hit that sweet spot it drops right in. It doesn't grind or make any noise; it just won't go into reverse. It's almost like you are trying to put the shift lever into an area that doesn't have a gear. I checked the trans and transfer case oil levels yesterday and they were a little low (have a tiny seal leak that I need to address) so I topped the levels off. That has not helped the issue. Again, there was zero issue when I dropped the truck off for shipment.

I am a total transmission neophyte so I thought I would see if anyone has any ideas short of pulling the transmission and shipping it off to someone. Thanks.

Youngest son insisted on driving 5 hours to the beach in heavy Saturday traffic in the 75 instead of his 2020 Tacoma. Not sure I would have made that same choice.

8AB45A7B-1DF5-40D4-8E64-94663AAE76CD.jpeg

Youngest son insisted on driving 5 hours to the beach in heavy Saturday traffic in the 75 instead of his 2020 Tacoma. Not sure I would have made that same choice.

View attachment 3048856
Your son has good taste. I remember when I turned 17 and had the opportunity to daily my dads 80 with ac and all the creature comforts. Told him I’d rather drive his 76’ FJ40 with no AC or PS in the TX heat. Never remotely regretted it, driving a cruiser seems to make every trip more enjoyable.

I like your son's style...

Your son has good taste. I remember when I turned 17 and had the opportunity to daily my dads 80 with ac and all the creature comforts. Told him I’d rather drive his 76’ FJ40 with no AC or PS in the TX heat. Never remotely regretted it, driving a cruiser seems to make every trip more enjoyable.
Well at least this one accelerates at least as fast as my 80, will drive smoothly at 75+ uphill, and has great AC and Heat. Bad news though if you hit a bump.

Many thanks to everyone's input on my H150F transmission issues. Planning on dropping trans and transfer case assembly and shipping out to Valley Hybrids. I don't have the lift installed in my shop yet so I'm working with a local shop to pull them around the end of August. So while those are out I want to replace front and rear main seals. Clutch seems fine but should I replace it as well while we're in this deep?

Rear main seal seems pretty obvious from the parts diagrams:

11381ASEAL, ENGINE REAR OIL
90311-99006

However the front seal is not quite as obvious; at least not to a neophyte such as myself. Is this the one?

11302ASEAL, OIL(FOR TIMING CHAIN OR BELT COVER)
90311-52022

Any other seals and/or PMs I should address while the transmission is out?

Many thanks to everyone's input on my H150F transmission issues. Planning on dropping trans and transfer case assembly and shipping out to Valley Hybrids. I don't have the lift installed in my shop yet so I'm working with a local shop to pull them around the end of August. So while those are out I want to replace front and rear main seals. Clutch seems fine but should I replace it as well while we're in this deep?

Rear main seal seems pretty obvious from the parts diagrams:

11381ASEAL, ENGINE REAR OIL
90311-99006

However the front seal is not quite as obvious; at least not to a neophyte such as myself. Is this the one?

11302ASEAL, OIL(FOR TIMING CHAIN OR BELT COVER)
90311-52022

Any other seals and/or PMs I should address while the transmission is out?

Seems like clutch and throwout bearing, along with a resurface on the flywheel, would be good to do "while you're in there".

Transmission and transfer case got pulled yesterday. Hopefully headed out this week to Valley Hybrids for Georg to replace the synchros and seals.

Everything looked good under the truck. Slight weep in rear of power steering pump. I don't appear to be able to easily get the seal kit so I ordered the 4 internal O-Rings and the rear snap ring. Hopefully I won't need anything more than that. Also there doesn't appear to be anything leaking from the front main; fingers crossed it's just the slight drip from the power steering pump.

Also decided to replace the front driveshaft U-Joints. They were a little loose. Rears looked fine.

BBE96EDF-9A96-4310-AF7C-2EB275B63F73.jpeg

Last edited:
Seems like clutch and throwout bearing, along with a resurface on the flywheel, would be good to do "while you're in there".
Flywheel looks great but I did order a Rear Main Seal and a Clutch Kit from Kurt @cruiseroutfit which included the pilot and throw-out bearing. Also bought the little shifter bushing and spring although they also looked fine. Too cheap to not replace while it's all apart.

Finally got the transmission back and upon further inspection decided to change the flywheel. It had a rough spot or two and we couldn't get anyone local to resurface it. Was delivered from Dubai on Wednesday and they got everything reinstalled yesterday. Shop installed the new O-Rings on the Power Steering Pump. Hopefully that small leak and the rear main were the only two leaks that needed to be addressed.

Transmission reverse gear issue was a broken reverse fork (like broken in half). Thankfully it didn't do any collateral damage. While the assembly was there they rebuilt the transfer case. Transmission and transfer case looked brand new when they came back. Thanks again to Georg @orangefj45 and the guys at Valley Hybrids!

Changed all the diff fluids to Redline Synthetic and the engine to Mobil 1 while it was on the rack. Should be good to go for another year.

1AE7ED87-CA0A-40F8-B284-3FC6F5FB14AB.jpeg

9E88E76A-DA5B-4587-BB95-9B32A9A2EC94.jpeg

Last edited:
Hello,

Oil changes every 40000 km will do for your transmission. Ask me how I know.

Juan

I've been around pickups of one variety or another my entire life but I'm not sure I've ever driven anything with a rear suspension as stiff as this 75. Of course it has a 1300kg payload capacity (if I'm reading the door plate correctly).
...Bad news though if you hit a bump.

Have you considered putting a couple sand bags in the bed? Common practice in northern climates is to add some weight to the bed of a pickup in the winter for better traction on the rear end. The sand bags are cheap @ $9/60 lb bag, four of those and the ride will be much smoother.

I noticed just adding the steel roof-rack to my Troopy settled the rear springs quite a bit.

So I need to replace my exhaust tailpipe. The part number is:

17430PIPE ASSY, EXHAUST, TAIL
17405-61360

PartSouq is showing 17405-66060 as a substitute and available. I can't seem to figure out what vehicle that number applies to. I assumed it would be a 79 series pickup but maybe not. The diagram they show is identical to the -61360 so I'm willing to take a chance on it being correct but would be great if someone could confirm.

Screenshot 2023-03-02 at 15-00-48 Exhaust pipe for Toyota Land Cruiser FZJ75RP - Genuine parts.png

61360 is replaced by 61361, which is in turn replaced by 66060

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom