5 speed auto (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Wow, that would be awesome! If you do it you might as well also build a kit for the early 100s that use the 4spd auto, tthat market would be huge in the USA. Looking forward to this coming.

Can you tell me more about this, "We have the same transmission in 80 series here in Australia that we have done the conversion for but they were all Diesels."? I have a RHD diesel 80.

Last edited:
I own two FZJ80s and have owned 2 5 speed UZJ100s. I always felt the 5 speed improved the drivability more than the V8 of the 100 when compared to a FZJ80. (In other words I would the rather have 1FZ I6 plus the A750F 5 speed in an 80 than the 2UZ V8 with the A343F 4 speed).

When the Dodge Charger switched from the 5 speed Mercedes transmission to the 8 speed ZF, a magazine compared the changes in performance for both the 3.6 v6 and the 5.7 V8. The 3.6 v6 saw FAR more benefit switching from 5 to 8 speed than the 5.7 V8, both in 0-60 and mpg.

I can’t remember the exact numbers, but something like shaving 3 seconds off the 3.6 v6’s 0-60 while it only shaved 1 second off the 5.7 V8 0-60. The 8 speed and 3.6 was about as fast 0-60 as 5.7 and 5 speed.

I always felt it would be similar for 1FZ and 2UZ, that the 1FZ would get more benefit from the extra gear than the 2UZ.

Wow, that would be awesome! If you do it you might as well also build a kit for the early 100s that use the 4spd auto, tthat market would be huge in the USA. Looking forward to this coming.

Can you tell me more about this, "We have the same transmission in 80 series here in Australia that we have done the conversion for but they were all Diesels."? I have a RHD diesel 80.

physically everything would bolt right up. It would be controlling it that would be the mess. Standalone wonder how pissed the engine computer would be without the trans signals. The 80 doesn’t care. But I feel like me my 100 backs off for shifts, meaning they talk to each other. But haven’t looked at it in detail.

Last edited:
Maybe this guy can help us with this project.

That was a fun little video to watch. It’s amazing what you can do if you have a mill and a lathe. I love the guy’s can do attitude and old school approach.

I recall reading somewhere that the A750f conversion from wholesale is in the ballpark of $12k usd for a diesel (1HZ, 1HD-T/FT), which is a simpler swap as the transmission bolts up without adapters.

So, be prepared for some sticker shock...however that price above also includes a new 750.

Copy pasted from 2 emails with wholesale AT-

Sorry, unfortunately we have not been able to successfully adapt from a factory automatic transmission that is ECU controlled to a different transmission using a standalone controller.
This is because currently the ECU is controlling the engine and transmission, but if we replace the transmission with one which will be using a Compushift controller, the ECU will then not recognise this and go into a limp mode – you can test this with your current setup by disconnecting the electrical connector from the auto and you should experience a limp mode.

Sorry we couldn’t help this time

Yes, you’re more than welcome to share this info.

The only way around this I could think of that might work would be to source an OEM ECU from a manual vehicle or an aftermarket ECU from the likes of Haltech or similar. This way it won’t be looking for a transmission to be connected.

We have not tested this method as OEM ECU’s are not readily available, but we have heard of clients using aftermarket ECU’s in their cars for a conversion application.
I hope this helps.

Cheers,

I am planning to run my a343f off my Haltech ecu if I can figure it out. Now I am thinking I should try to figure out the 750 instead.

Is there any particular reason that more people haven't replaced the factory ECU with an aftermarket one, like Megasquirt or Haltech? I would assume that this would give access to more modern and sophisticated tech, as well as easier integration with different transmissions and whatnot, but maybe I'm overestimating the abilities and customizability of the aftermarket ECUs.

Is there any particular reason that more people haven't replaced the factory ECU with an aftermarket one, like Megasquirt or Haltech? I would assume that this would give access to more modern and sophisticated tech, as well as easier integration with different transmissions and whatnot, but maybe I'm overestimating the abilities and customizability of the aftermarket ECUs.
Probably because many need obd2 to pass emissions. Lots of guys in oz are going stand alone.

Probably because many need obd2 to pass emissions. Lots of guys in oz are going stand alone.

Wow, you weren't kidding. I went down a rabbit hole of people asking for OBD2 support with Microsquirt and getting shut down. Given how many people are obviously using them on the road, I thought it would be a solved problem.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom