EC Offroad CarPlay Solutions For 2016+ 200 Series LC (NEW SEPT 2020 MODEL) (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I have the Naviplus car play unit. But have enjoyed reading your updates on this EC off-road unit. I hope you will be kind enough to post detailed progress pics on the installation of the Tesla unit, because I would like to do that too. I am just not as tech savvy, so I need to see your post and thoughts on how it works. Then I will pull the trigger and get my local shop that installed my Naviplus to do it. Thank you.
Thank you.
I received a video from EC Offroad to help solve my touchscreen problem. You all may find this video useful too. Interface touch screen fix - https://www.dropbox.com/sh/9758u88a17ozfog/AADhl4J9MnLftFci5xmgtKFBa?dl=0

It’s 93° in the garage on a hot north GA night and I just dove in on the replacement unit. Fingers crossed that this will be a “2 and I’m through” because I don’t think I have a “3rd time’s the charm” in me.

FDA8E883-0C1B-4095-9E49-721992A124F9.jpeg

I wrapped up the install last night and got a chance to drive around today solo to test it out. Everything works great, no issues. A couple things I noticed right off the bat:

1. New boot splash screen, it’s blue with an outline of a car.
2. The screen doesn’t flicker at all when I activate the 360° camera or the reverse camera like the one it replaced.

Also, I took inspiration from @nakman and installed magnets behind the leather trim for my ham PTT.

Question for the more technically inclined… are y’all updating these ec units or giving it wifi access or anything settings wise or just plugging in and forgetting?

I wrapped up the install last night and got a chance to drive around today solo to test it out. Everything works great, no issues. A couple things I noticed right off the bat:

1. New boot splash screen, it’s blue with an outline of a car.
2. The screen doesn’t flicker at all when I activate the 360° camera or the reverse camera like the one it replaced.

Also, I took inspiration from @nakman and installed magnets behind the leather trim for my ham PTT.

Question for the more technically inclined… are y’all updating these ec units or giving it wifi access or anything settings wise or just plugging in and forgetting?
Glad you got it installed. Mine has been in for little more than a week. I highly recommend it. I connected to my home wifi to install a few apps (pretty cool to have google TV available!) I also navigated to the settings and did see where there was an available update, but decided not to do it just in case it would mess up something. I enabled bluetooth and connected my phone. It connects wirelessly every time I enter the vehicle. I have noticed a few times that it loses its connection but it seems to reconnect very quickly. I also connected my phone as an available hotspot. I posted a vide from EC Offroad that provides the code for advanced settings. I've not played around with it yet. Overall everything works as well, or better than expected.

Glad you got it installed. Mine has been in for little more than a week. I highly recommend it. I connected to my home wifi to install a few apps (pretty cool to have google TV available!) I also navigated to the settings and did see where there was an available update, but decided not to do it just in case it would mess up something. I enabled bluetooth and connected my phone. It connects wirelessly every time I enter the vehicle. I have noticed a few times that it loses its connection but it seems to reconnect very quickly. I also connected my phone as an available hotspot. I posted a vide from EC Offroad that provides the code for advanced settings. I've not played around with it yet. Overall everything works as well, or better than expected.
Mine also disconnects but it is not random. It is always when I drive past the same spot on the highway. It is 100% consistent in that it always drops the connection so I am certain that there are external forces at play here. Thankfully, I don't drive past that place very often so it doesn't really bother me too much.

Hi team - two questions on the ECOffroad unit (I have the current version in a 2019 200 VX)

Does anyone have a solution crappy contrast/brightness output of the unit? Find that apps like Google maps it’s hard to make out streets. Perhaps there’s settings in the advanced section??

And does a manual exist with an explanation of what all the various settings in the system setting actually do? Been experimenting and misting setting don’t really spread to do anything.

Cheers team

Hi team - two questions on the ECOffroad unit (I have the current version in a 2019 200 VX)

Does anyone have a solution crappy contrast/brightness output of the unit? Find that apps like Google maps it’s hard to make out streets. Perhaps there’s settings in the advanced section??
Not that I'm aware of. I think the low resolution of the stock screen is the main limitation though.

And does a manual exist with an explanation of what all the various settings in the system setting actually do? Been experimenting and misting setting don’t really spread to do anything.
Nope, all that's available is the tips we've collectively found and posted here in this thread.

I sent in a video of the wiring setup to EC and they told me the LVD cable was kinked. Mind you, this was the new, pristine LVD cable they sent me for me install was kinked. Either way, it's out of the car. I'm just going to hang an iPad mini off the center speaker with a magnetic case and move on with life.
Anyone have a supplier for these LVDS or LVD cables? My wife is pushing me over the edge to re-install the EC unit so she can have CarPlay when she drives the 200.

I'd like to stockpile some of these cords since they have been the weak link for me. I checked Alibaba but can't get things narrowed down enough to find the supplier.

1663340042984.png

Anyone have a supplier for these LVDS or LVD cables? My wife is pushing me over the edge to re-install the EC unit so she can have CarPlay when she drives the 200.

I'd like to stockpile some of these cords since they have been the weak link for me. I checked Alibaba but can't get things narrowed down enough to find the supplier.

View attachment 3116404

I have a bunch of them. I got them from here:

Nevermind, this is not what you want.

Last edited:
@Cincodemustache But wait... Hold on. I think those are just extensions, and might be different on one end from what you want. I think I might have misinterpreted the picture you posted. Check first, and post back here?

@Cincodemustache But wait... Hold on. I think those are just extensions, and might be different on one end from what you want. I think I might have misinterpreted the picture you posted. Check first, and post back here?
Thank you. You are correct. It’s a split cord. I’ve searched the labels on the tag too.

Inlet for factory plug
Plug to OEM screen
Plug to interface unit

48D199EB-473E-4524-98C8-264CA1068D4E.jpeg
ABCFDB8D-B0D6-4D39-ABAE-9BA9BED78316.jpeg
F618716F-2258-41BD-9B9D-2B3633FD2A81.jpeg

View attachment 3116404
How many times have you replaced yours?

My issues ended up being the entire unit, which they replaced, but I would be down to have a spare or 2 of these just in case.

How many times have you replaced yours?

My issues ended up being the entire unit, which they replaced, but I would be down to have a spare or 2 of these just in case.
I’ve been through 2 cables. For me, they were getting bent just slightly enough to cut the video feed to the screen/flicker. EC confirmed it is a common issue.

I’ve been through 2 cables. For me, they were getting bent just slightly enough to cut the video feed to the screen/flicker. EC confirmed it is a common issue.
Interesting. This must be what's been happening to mine the past few weeks.

FWIW, I'll be putting my entire interface module unit, complete with the cables, up for sale at some point. I switched over to one of the Tesla style units and am certain that I won't be switching back. If any of you just want the LVDS cable though, I suspect we'll be a bit too far apart on price for it to make sense.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom