What Did You Do with Your 80 This Weekend? (27 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

and............. jerry can carrier arm complete for those that have asked and started on a short batch of front bumpers.

Jason

PXL_20220629_152530442.jpg

PXL_20220629_152535269.jpg
PXL_20220629_152155365.jpg
PXL_20220629_161350578.jpg

PXL_20220629_155401523.jpg

No, it's not. However it is possible that you somehow lost air pressure after you re-inflated it. I'm not a tire expert but I have seen a failure similar to that on an under-inflated tire.

This does not mean I'm right in this case. Simply a possible explanation.
I'm with @cruiserdan . That looks a lot like heat failure likely due to low tire pressure. I wouldn't be surprised if you picked up a slow puncture on the trail, aired up when you got back to pavement and continued to lose air on the highway on the way home. The blowout was a rear tire, so if it was getting soft back there you wouldn't have felt it as much while driving as a front. Tire would have eventually lost enough air to get a significant sidewall flex, overheat and blow.

I doubt it has anything to do with the type of tire, their relatively short service life, what they were filled with or what pressure you filled them to when you returned to the pavement.

Occam's razor applies.

This is happening. I'm swapping out the oily looking t-case with the merely dirt crusted one. The one I've pulled has bearings that are going out. I've thought that it was original with the 80 but finding the labeling on it I think it may have come from a junk yard. Our 80 has ca. 320k miles on it and we picked it up when it had ca. 125k on it so if this t-case is not original then original must have been damaged and replaced.

Pulling out the t-case has been a real pain because of the bulk and mass of the t-case. There may be only 6 bolts and few wire connections to undo but unless it's coming straight off the transmission output shaft it's not going to come off easily.

View attachment 3038942View attachment 3038943
What symptoms were you having? Growl on deceleration?

What symptoms were you having? Growl on deceleration?

Yes, and vibration. With the driveshafts disconnected I could feel a roughness when turning the front and rear output shafts. The one I picked up from Chris rotates smoothly.

Yes, and vibration. With the driveshafts disconnected I could feel a roughness when turning the front and rear output shafts. The one I picked up from Chris rotates smoothly.
I have a terrible vibe I haven’t been able to figure out and that is all that’s left. No vibes though. I’ve replaced the rear output bearing, and that didn’t help. It was pristine. I’ve thought about get one from Chris also and rebuilding/regearing. Maybe it will solve this as well.

I have a terrible vibe I haven’t been able to figure out and that is all that’s left. No vibes though. I’ve replaced the rear output bearing, and that didn’t help. It was pristine. I’ve thought about get one from Chris also and rebuilding/regearing. Maybe it will solve this as well.
Ive chased the same thing forever and everyone told me it was my pinion angle. Tried doing it myself and took it to the experts when getting lockers. It was the rear pinion angle and they corrected it.

it will be 4 numbers kind of stamped into the tire, usually in an oval or circle
For example "1320" which indicates the 13th week of 2020.

I had a set of KO2s on my 5th gen 4runner. at around 20k I could not get them to balance even after letting 3 different tire shops try. It was discovered that 3 of 4 had significant tread separation. The Manager said they've seen a lot of separation and some blow outs like yours with the ko2's. He said he no longer recommends them and calls them "square tires".

@COYS

Same thing above happened with my k02's. They wouldn't balance and started having the tread separate less than 2 years after new with less than 12,000 miles.

Discount tire said they were also out of round and actually had a recall on my tires. I got a full refund and bought nitto's.

At the same time this happened I was still working for Snap On and had the honor of servicing over 100 shops and 300+ full time professional mechanics. 3 other tire shops and numerous tech's that I serviced at the time told me the same thing about the new k02's having issues.

Believe it or not, it's entirely up to you but I for one am done with bfg's.

Take a close look at the u-joints on your drive shaft as well. Borrowing a set of chasis ears is always a good step in unraveling problems like this. You will be able to pinpoint the exact problem without spending money on trial and error.

Hmmm- Double top secret 🤐, or care to share 🤔 ?
Thanks
Literally every river in the Sierras has features like that. Just grab a forest map, get in your Cruiser and go explore. You can also do a search on Sierra swimming holes.

:cheers:

"Cruiser Dan" is an asset to this site and I appreciate all of his valuable comments. Thanks buddy!!!

I asked for a selfish reason. I want that controller for my wife's truck...:lol:
I have one that I pulled because it decided to lock me out one night at a restaurant.
I have never owned a key fob and only ever used the key, so I unlocked, let the alarm go until I unhooked the battery, allowed it to clear for 10 minutes, hooked up the battery and drove home.

Then I immediately proceeded to unhook it and remove it 100% from the system.

If you're interested, maybe you could un-curse my HG.......

(It's from a 8/95 '96 LC)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom