What Did You Do With Your 120 Today? (18 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Yeah man, I’m stoked to get this powder coated and installed. Gonna be a bit of a process because I’m doing the winch, too, and all that weight means new HD springs from Icon for my coilovers.

Wasn’t my first choice for a bumper - really wanted the explore overland one with full hoops - but them going bankrupt / running off with money killed that plan.

Gotta say, super impressed with Lil B’s, like 2.5 half weeks from placing my order to picking up the bumper, and it looks really well-made.

Good luck with the winch install when you get to it!

Got the auxbeam fuse box mounted. Took a trip to home depot for some beefy L brackets, and some cutting with the angle grinder, but the fuse box is sturdily mounted. It also doesn’t interfere with the plastic cover; so I can keep the engine bay looking somewhat stock.

Only complaint about the auxbeam kit is the ring terminal for the battery cable didn’t fit my battery. Had to run to autozone and get a wider ring terminal. Easy fix though: snip, crimp, and heat shrink.

Installing the pod lights and GMRS radio tomorrow. Then dropping the bumper at powder coating on Monday!

80EF1A04-F6BD-4164-A02E-BB49BB9FA0A7.jpeg
388AA4CE-AF0C-494D-8436-22773603158F.jpeg

All done. 200 awhp and 246 awtq to 221 awhp and 281 awtq with headers, HO cats, and a better exhaust.

Here is the after dyno run:

Hey Dan,

I'm currently reviewing some old posts for various and different reasons, and they came across your Doug thorley long header shorty cat upgrade. If I'm reading this right, you're saying you're getting 281 torque at the wheels and 220hp at the wheels.

Aren't these rigs spec'd 280 and 323 stock? Oh, is that crank torque plus drivetrain loss? Does anyone have stock GX torque and horsepower figures for the wheels? Just curious...

These mods are coming to light because I've got Doug thorley shorties on the shelf to install because of my second stock manifold crack issue in as many years...

Hey Dan,

I'm currently reviewing some old posts for various and different reasons, and they came across your Doug thorley long header shorty cat upgrade. If I'm reading this right, you're saying you're getting 281 torque at the wheels and 220hp at the wheels.

Aren't these rigs spec'd 280 and 323 stock? Oh, is that crank torque plus drivetrain loss? Does anyone have stock GX torque and horsepower figures for the wheels? Just curious...

These mods are coming to light because I've got Doug thorley shorties on the shelf to install because of my second stock manifold crack issue in as many years...
Stock numbers are at crank

Last edited:
20% drivetrain loss in typically assumed, which would put the referenced non-VVTI GX at something like 266 hp at the crank (31 hp over the stock 235 hp). Overall a pretty good upgrade. My VVTI GX with DT LT headers and a aFe CAI "feels" like it has around 300 hp crank, based on driving it vs. other vehicles of similar weight/HP, but I have yet to dyno it. The VVTI motors were something like 263-270 hp at the crank.

You'll love the headers once you get them in.

20% drivetrain loss in typically assumed, which would put the referenced non-VVTI GX at something like 266 hp at the crank (31 hp over the stock 235 hp). Overall a pretty good upgrade. My VVTI GX with DT LT headers and a aFe CAI "feels" like it has around 300 hp crank, based on driving it vs. other vehicles of similar weight/HP, but I have yet to dyno it. The VVTI motors were something like 263-270 hp at the crank.

You'll love the headers once you get them in.
I agree that headers are great for power. I would also make sure you do the Y pipe and the rear junction as the OEM exhaust is about as open as a Chik-Fil-A on Sunday

I agree that headers are great for power. I would also make sure you do the Y pipe and the rear junction as the OEM exhaust is about as open as a Chik-Fil-A on Sunday
I had to cobble my Y pipe back together this weekend due to a leaky and rusty flange joint. When that fails it will get a URD or DT Y-pipe. I am also going to install an aFe exhaust, hopefully later this year.

Last edited:
Yeah, I hear that. It makes sense. I'm not in it for the power personally, I'm in it for the maintenance. (Or wanting a lack thereof more specifically) I still want longevity and durability. I figure at the price I sourced them the pair of headers is half the cost of one stock manifold installed. And since I've already been there once the hell if I'm going to do it again. 🤣

But I'm waffling about welding the cats to the headers versus V bands. I feel V bands are the way because cats May fail need to be replaced and so this is component, but they take up some room and I'm not yet sure how much room there is.

But for sure Dan I hear you about the flow of the Y pipe stock. 👍

Last edited:
Yeah, I hear that. It makes sense. I'm not in it for the power personally, I meant it for the maintenance. I still want longevity and durability. I figure at the price I sourced them the pair of headers is half the cost of one stock manifold installed. And since I've already been there once the hell if I'm going to do it again. 🤣

But I'm waffling about welding the cats to the headers versus the bands. I feel the bands are the way because cats May fail need to be replaced and so this is component, but they take up some room and I'm not yet sure how much room there is.

But for sure Dan I hear you about the flow of the Y pipe stock. 👍
If you keep it quiet and JUST open up the exhaust but use a good muffler, etc. you will still pickup 20hp and torque at all the wheels

So who did this?

I wonder what else happened, why not drive out. Maybe the guy got scared after the airbags deployed. Either way…. I guess the factor tow hooks will work when needed!!

I ran all those trails and didn't have an issues, but I guess 03s don't have RSCA so they are superior :p

I wonder what else happened, why not drive out. Maybe the guy got scared after the airbags deployed. Either way…. I guess the factor tow hooks will work when needed!!

8" diff also exploded and destroyed the rear end so would have had to drive out with just the front axle

RSCA Off button is your friend - and something that should be activated whenever off-roading.

Turns off side airbags so they will no longer go off unintentionally offroad. If the vehicle comes down quickly with a bunch of angle they can go off in rare cases since the computer thinks the car's going to flip or being impacted

Rolling sensing curtain airbag off switch. You push the button for a couple seconds and it turns off your side airbags. Use this for low speed off road use. It stops the airbags from going off at sharp angles and or bad situations. Nice to have. Wish my 03 had it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom