When to Let Well Enough Alone? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Perusing the forum, I often stumble upon what appears to be a perfect solution for a problem that does not yet exist. Often, this is shortly followed by an impulse to attempt to “fix” said “problem” even though it has yet to materialize. Of course, I realize that this is absurd. Later after struggling to remove the offending part(s) and everything in its/their way (that were all working just fine) and when I’m up to my eyeballs in trying to install the new solution, I ask myself why I couldn’t have just let well enough alone. I’m curious whether anyone else snuffers from this malady? Is there a name for it?
Mark

Look up Waddington Effect;

Conversely there is Ockham's Razor.

As to suffering from some malady or another, I'm sure there's a name for that: owning a Land Cruiser (or several of them).
:lol:

After a winter wrenching on my truck, I now have her up and running and looking forward to our first real outing. But with pretty much everything sorted that I set out to sort, I kind of have that feeling of disappointment like I used to get as a kid when the birthday party or Christmas was over. I now look upon project trucks with envy and am trying to conjure up a good reason to buy another truck to fix up. This is the nature of the LC addiction!

My wife needs a LC... yeah, that's it!

I get it, I just ran into this issue with upgrading the door stops. There was a reason the PO had a non-standard fix. The project is now way bigger that a couple bolts. I have come to the realization that there are very few days to drive Louie so there is a moratorium on enhancements/improvements until the next winter storage window. The headlight upgrade is one of those enhancements. Nice to have but not necessary.

Repairs for drivability are only allowed or changes that don't prevent me from using the truck. Wish me luck replacing the emergency brake cable that broke on the weekend. Maybe I should wait on this one just incase the transfer case starts leaking after I take it all a part. I can drive without emergency brake cable right? ;)

Repairs for drivability are only allowed or changes that don't prevent me from using the truck. Wish me luck replacing the emergency brake cable that broke on the weekend. Maybe I should wait on this one just incase the transfer case starts leaking after I take it all a part. I can drive without emergency brake cable right? ;)
6l6hn0.jpg

Perusing the forum, I often stumble upon what appears to be a perfect solution for a problem that does not yet exist. Often, this is shortly followed by an impulse to attempt to “fix” said “problem” even though it has yet to materialize. Of course, I realize that this is absurd. Later after struggling to remove the offending part(s) and everything in its/their way (that were all working just fine) and when I’m up to my eyeballs in trying to install the new solution, I ask myself why I couldn’t have just let well enough alone. I’m curious whether anyone else snuffers from this malady? Is there a name for it?
Mark

Thankfully that ended years.

After a winter wrenching on my truck, I now have her up and running and looking forward to our first real outing. But with pretty much everything sorted that I set out to sort, I kind of have that feeling of disappointment like I used to get as a kid when the birthday party or Christmas was over. I now look upon project trucks with envy and am trying to conjure up a good reason to buy another truck to fix up. This is the nature of the LC addiction!

My wife needs a LC... yeah, that's it!

Obvious in the early stages. Wait until you go over a single digit to count your cruisers.

For me, winter is time to tinker, so now that’s summer I try not to fix anything. There’s a list though-
  1. motor and transfer leaks- freshly installed, still leaks
  2. body alignment( wheeling would likely tweak it or at least that’s my justification
  3. blinkers- wife would like this luxury back
  4. wipers- seems like a good idea
  5. i could do this all day…
Point being (have I ever had a point), it’s summer and I am a hell of a procrastinator. On the upside, it is a lot of fun to drive when the weather is good. Or marginal…

I had it happen today. Decided as part of a baseline I would change out the thermostat. Led to bolt stuck and broken off in the lower housing which has now led to an entire kit from cruiser city. Oh well it would have happened at some point.
Really the joy and reason I have this truck is to "tinker" on it. As @mattressking said, enjoy the process. I like to live life and enjoy the journey rather than just hurry towards the end.

"Why did you roll your odometer back to zero?"
because
I like to take shyt apart and put it back together, like it just came off the factory floor. . .
because it's there
"Young grasshopper, learn from other's mistakes, do not make your own; time is precious"

:cheers:

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

It interferes with fishing time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom