Builds Molanginaeda 2013 LC200 - Totaled (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

More pics dump.

Beartooth Highway
62F29283-740E-4708-ADB2-405D84D25713.jpeg

Gemini Bridge, Moab
0117F584-701B-4EBF-8B09-5DAD8F01AED0.jpeg

Corkscrew Pass
BE19BA1B-B674-4E6D-9762-38AB547917A5.jpeg

outside of Creede CO
144260E0-D03A-4FF2-9DBE-7E2D1BBBB06C.jpeg

Great Sand Dunes National Park
738F1FBF-4B76-4F43-B532-AB672570059E.jpeg

FM170 - Big Bend Ranch State Park
F1D6E666-7D58-44B9-AA4A-859FA01B9718.jpeg

Big Bend National Park
1BA51902-489F-42AA-9919-C9D0BD8636C2.jpeg

2+ years of abuse on trails and highway, I found one piston on the front caliper stuck. Replaced the whole front brake with new oem caliper, rotor and brake pad. I love EBC brake disc and pad. Upgrading from green stuff pad to yellow stuff pad.

CFCDF5D7-9FFC-4B39-9F8C-C936BD11BF2B.jpeg

57B4E964-4541-44F9-A4D0-998CA411BF66.jpeg

Forgot to add more maintenance task. Thanks to @cruiseroutfit for quick turnaround. I’m able to get parts and service one wheel bearing. Thinking to finish servicing both wheel bearing.

Servicing wheel bearing lead to finding cease/stuck caliper. That’s why the brake system is being refresh.

ABCD54C8-4B58-4F23-8072-B0589967AFD9.jpeg

Love those stickers. Need another set soon.

1BCF9892-BE9B-4916-A2D6-C7CB8C60B523.jpeg

It’s been a while since I took the LC for a road trip. Recently, I took the LC off to FL. Did over 2760 miles. Took a different route via Chesapeake Bay Bridge and skip DC vicinity. The trip start out with no issue, but on our way back home, we got into some side swipe on the guardrail off Garden State Parkway in NJ. The LC took the hit bravely and cause some body damage along the passenger side. It could be worst if the vehicle lost control. Thank god, no one got hurt. I stopped at the next rest area assessing the vehicle damage and drivability. The LC still drive straight and only some fender liner scrapping the tire. Tugged away some plastic and continue our 250 miles back home.

IMG_4011.jpeg

Stop before the Chesapeake Bay Bridge

IMG_4087.jpeg

Driving on Chesapeake Bay Bridge.

IMG_4199.jpeg

Stop at Bucees in Florance SC

IMG_4262.jpeg

Detour to Charleston SC for some good BBQ.

IMG_6690.jpeg

Disney Animal Kingdom Lodge

IMG_6742.jpeg

😞 Got in a little side swipe incident on Garden State Parkway guard rail.

IMG_6743.jpeg

😢 Damages on passenger door.

Totaled…for that???? Looks like a mere flesh wound.
Late last year, my sister's RAV4 was rear-ended in a very low-speed accident, pushing her into the hitch receiver of the truck in front of her. She had some cosmetic damage in the rear and a hole punched through the radiator in the front, but all damage was easily fixable or replaceable. Insurance came back with an estimate at 76% of the car's value (75% is considered totaled, in Idaho at least). We were going to fight it, but ended up taking the payout due to some known issues with that RAV4 prior to the accident.

Fast-forward to about a month ago, my mom's Camry was t-boned in the rear driver's door. The fix would be replacing the door and some cosmetic work to the quarter panel. Can you guess what the repair estimate was? Again, 76% of the value of the car. I wish I was making this up. We are currently debating whether to fight it, take the pay-out, or take the salvage title and get a cheap repair.

In both cases, "frame damage" was cited but never confirmed, pushing the repair estimate totals up. Other little things like rim replacement where also included, despite serious questions about whether or not they were even damaged in the accident.

In both these cases, we didn't have a lot invested in the vehicles. They were stock and frankly easily replaceable (though the ethics of just throwing out a good vehicle are another discussion). Our Land Cruisers are far from stock, and are not just "replaceable". With the LC "discontinued" in the U.S. for now (certainly never coming back with a naturally aspirated V8), and with only ~3,000 J200s sold each year in the US during their production, and with all the time invested into mods in almost all cases, we just can't afford to take an arbitrary insurance total lying down. I figured buying a 200 series would almost guarantee I never had to deal with arbitrary insurance totals given the vehicle's value. If they are really trying to total out a $40k+ vehicle for minor door scrapes, that's terrifying. With all the economic factors at play in the auto market currently, I think we could all stand to be better informed regarding insurance claims.

I honestly think you should start a thread here on MUD asking for advice on fighting total claims from insurance. Not legal advice from members per say (because that could get us all in some trouble), but whether or not they've successfully challenged an insurance determination and, if they used legal counsel, who? I'm sure some of the members here have been through the ringer and could at least point you in the right direction.

I'm very much hoping that everything works out for you. And on a side-note, thanks for posting up this thread: As an owner of a similar 2013, there's a lot here that I'm now considering on my rig!

Late last year, my sister's RAV4 was rear-ended in a very low-speed accident, pushing her into the hitch receiver of the truck in front of her. She had some cosmetic damage in the rear and a hole punched through the radiator in the front, but all damage was easily fixable or replaceable. Insurance came back with an estimate at 76% of the car's value (75% is considered totaled, in Idaho at least). We were going to fight it, but ended up taking the payout due to some known issues with that RAV4 prior to the accident.

Fast-forward to about a month ago, my mom's Camry was t-boned in the rear driver's door. The fix would be replacing the door and some cosmetic work to the quarter panel. Can you guess what the repair estimate was? Again, 76% of the value of the car. I wish I was making this up. We are currently debating whether to fight it, take the pay-out, or take the salvage title and get a cheap repair.

In both cases, "frame damage" was cited but never confirmed, pushing the repair estimate totals up. Other little things like rim replacement where also included, despite serious questions about whether or not they were even damaged in the accident.

In both these cases, we didn't have a lot invested in the vehicles. They were stock and frankly easily replaceable (though the ethics of just throwing out a good vehicle are another discussion). Our Land Cruisers are far from stock, and are not just "replaceable". With the LC "discontinued" in the U.S. for now (certainly never coming back with a naturally aspirated V8), and with only ~3,000 J200s sold each year in the US during their production, and with all the time invested into mods in almost all cases, we just can't afford to take an arbitrary insurance total lying down. I figured buying a 200 series would almost guarantee I never had to deal with arbitrary insurance totals given the vehicle's value. If they are really trying to total out a $40k+ vehicle for minor door scrapes, that's terrifying. With all the economic factors at play in the auto market currently, I think we could all stand to be better informed regarding insurance claims.

I honestly think you should start a thread here on MUD asking for advice on fighting total claims from insurance. Not legal advice from members per say (because that could get us all in some trouble), but whether or not they've successfully challenged an insurance determination and, if they used legal counsel, who? I'm sure some of the members here have been through the ringer and could at least point you in the right direction.

I'm very much hoping that everything works out for you. And on a side-note, thanks for posting up this thread: As an owner of a similar 2013, there's a lot here that I'm now considering on my rig!
Wow, that’s insane they total it out that quick.

Insurance might totaled my beloved LC200 according to the adjuster assessment. Let’s hope a better news from insurance decision.

That can't be right. The adjuster has no clue the value of LCs and perhaps is just going off age and mileage which I could see as totaling lesser vehicles.

That's just a tickle for the cruiser.

That can't be right. The adjuster has no clue the value of LCs and perhaps is just going off age and mileage which I could see as totaling lesser vehicles.

That's just a tickle for the cruiser.
Yup. The adjuster call back in the afternoon quoting his misjudge of the LC value. He send me an estimate for the repair. The estimate repair is coming out ~ 10.5k. :inpain:

He might think I'm driving a Sienna Minivan or Highlander. He did cause me panic after his quote "totaling".

p.s. I did name my LC as "White Minivan".

Last edited:
Sad day. I got a VM from the appraisal confirmed the decision to totaled the LC. There is more damage on the front (hidden) which only reveal after the body shop taking things apart. While making adjustment to the repair, the insurance company decide to total it. I’m shocked but can only deal with insurance company and hope to fight the low balled value (insurance company has not informed me).

This LC was the best purchased I had. This won’t be my last LC.

Finalized the vehicle with the insurance company. I have the following parts looking to sale. Mostly it would be heavy to ship, but if you're local to MA/NH/VT/ME/CT, maybe we can work out some delivery/meetup.

PM me if you interested. I'm sharing the info here first before going public. Pics avail if needed.

2013 Toyota Land CruiserPriceCondition
SPC Upper Control Arm$600.00as new (open box for inspection)
Ironman4x4 rear panhard bar$250.00as new (remove from box)
Ironman4x4 UCA$600.00new
Ironman4x4 Rear Adjustable upper trailing arm$200.00new
Ironman4x4 Rear Adjustable lower trailing arm$250.00new
Ironman 4x4 set include UCA/panhard/trailing arm$800.00new
Ironman4x4 Premium offroad Bumper$1,300.00as new (remove from box)
Smarttap CF18$50.00new
Timbren Rear Bumpstop$200.00new
Toyota Rock Warrior Rim/Tires Set of 4$800.00used - BFG KO2 285/70/17
Front Runner Drawer Kit$1000used - great condition

Last edited:
Unbelievable that they totaled it. That's like a flesh wound.
I did my best to fight for getting repair. I was also afraid the value will be low ball if totaled. But it turns out covid help a bit to boost the used car value.

Bummer about the total.

COVID and the aftermath in my readings have really increased the amount of vehicles being totaled by insurance, assumedly adjusters just see a pass through of parts and labor costs which have all gone up with shortages and disruptions. That on top of value indexes like KBB always lagging behind the market (don't fluctuate nearly as fast as actual purchase markets), and all else equal the damage % of value calc has increased across the board.

Bummer about the total.

COVID and the aftermath in my readings have really increased the amount of vehicles being totaled by insurance, assumedly adjusters just see a pass through of parts and labor costs which have all gone up with shortages and disruptions. That on top of value indexes like KBB always lagging behind the market (don't fluctuate nearly as fast as actual purchase markets), and all else equal the damage % of value calc has increased across the board.
I'm estimating the repairing cost is about 50% of the vehicle value. That's probably hit the mark where insurance will totalled the vehicle.

I know the pics posted can't justified the damage of the vehicle. I'll post more pics soon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom