ONSC Chat (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Since I am officially retired from The military now I have been researching some colleges I want to go to. I have a campus tour of the NASCAR institute in Mooresville NC on Friday.
I am just lucky that they have a campus here in NC that have a program that actually meets my needs.
My education plan is as follows.
36 weeks CNC certification 2023
36 weeks welding certification (NASCAR certification) 2024
Then I will start the automotive/ diesel certification - this will include NASCAR engine performance and NASCAR chassis fabrication.

So overall I am looking at probably 3 to 4 years of school but I figure since I already earned the GI BILL I would be dumb not to use it. Especially to use it learn cool stuff that I want to learn anyway.

The plans start every 6 weeks but I am thinking of starting either in October or January time frame. We will just have to see what start date works best with my schedule.

I have always hated traditional schooling ( not that I was bad at it) but now I am actually excited at the prospect of learning cool stuff at what appears to be a real good school.
So yeah, I am pretty stoked and just felt like sharing.

Oh and by the way it is more than likely that I will be living out of mooresville ( just me, not the family) while I’m in school for the next few years. That is the tentative plan for now but I do have time before my family and I have a final plan for the next few years while I attend school.

@SFROMAN is it too late/soon to call dibs on your frame manufacturing services? In four years, Project WTF will be entering the reinforce what breaks phase.

@SFROMAN there are probably some great spots to live on your current side of mooresville that will be close to the schools but can cut an hour or so off your drive home. Somebody here will have info.
My plan is to use their housing assistance program and get an apt close to the school. Another option we are discussing is I buy a house in the vicinity (5-15 mile radius) of the school and live there with roommates potentially. I can always rent it out once I am done with school.

Last edited:
i am in mooresville if you have any questions.

Is the plan to get a job/start a biz in the custom welding/fab sector?
My first concern is to secure the funding through the VA. I qualify for title 31 which is a different pot of money than title 35 and title 38 which has to do with the GI BILL. I have zero plans to work for anybody at this time.
My main goal in attending the school is to
1. Learn a different skill
2. Use up the money ( benefits) I already earned.
3. And finally use the learned skills in some sort of capacity, more likely open my own shop but that is so far in the future that I’m not really concerned with that right now.

Did a tour of the NASCAR institute today. The facility is pretty nice.
I will finish my enrollment paperwork tonight and I will officially lock in a start date for the 36 week CNC machinist certification which starts late November.

Pikes Peak has been live all weekend on the mobil one youtube channel. It's been great background noise while I work.
I was supposed to be there this weekend but plans didn't work out.

Pikes Peak has been live all weekend on the mobil one youtube channel. It's been great background noise while I work.
I was supposed to be there this weekend but plans didn't work out.

My buddy worked there this weekend. camped at 11,300. sent me too many pics and videos that were really mean.

I want to see them race up the mountain

With a car.

My buddy worked there this weekend. camped at 11,300. sent me too many pics and videos that were really mean.

Got back late yesterday from the race. Watched from Devils playground (went up that morning). Cold and foggy, but got some good action. Heard the Civic crash, but was too foggy to see it.

This

216E2377-6892-4D76-B6AF-E1FB86E50AEC.png

And corsetti. I had missed that part

Didn’t know the difference between 60 and 62 just a year or two ago :/

I saw him on Leno’s Garage a couple of years ago and while he was touted as an expert, he got some LC facts wrong. In my mind he is just a high-end flipper, not a bonafide LC guy.

That makes two 80 that have sold for $100K and up on BAT
Two 60s have sold for $100K and up on BAT

The two 80s were stock "survivors"
The two 60s both were swapped with LS3 power

Puts a big smile on my face :)

I saw him on Leno’s Garage a couple of years ago and while he was touted as an expert, he got some LC facts wrong. In my mind he is just a high-end flipper, not a bonafide LC guy.
Most people that get chosen for TV show rarely know their a****** from their elbow. Hell Doug Demuro is clueless on most of the cars he talks about.

Flippers on 4x4s help keep them out of the hands of people who will actually use them off road.

Most new cruiser owners I run into are just total yuppies, sadly, because of these high prices.

The days of only Cruiser Heads being into cruisers is gone. The trucks we love are wanted, like so many other classic vehicles, by a wide array of folks these days. There are a great many people that just plain do not like new cars, I am among them. They are also willing to pay up for the privilege as most are not seeking the nostalgia of an original model, they are looking for something dependable that drives like a modern vehicle and has just the right amount of electronic gear.

Folks in that category often wonder why someone would go out in the woods and beat the hell out of a classic like we do when we can pick up a fairy new used Jeep and go pound on that. It's all about perspective.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom