Rear passenger door makes loud *pop* when opening - need help identifying part number (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi gang - apologies for what I'm sure is a very basic question. The screw/bolt connected to this little arm piece on my rear passenger door (see attached photo) has been backing itself out and becoming loose for ages. In the past all I had to do was tighten it down every ~6 months but we had our first kid last year and I guess the increased rear seat traffic has caused it to get worse pretty quickly. I've considered using loctite on it but the head is a bit stripped and I'd like to replace the part first.

I've looked at the back door lock & hinge diagram at Toyota but I can't find anything that looks like the part. I'm sure I'm just not very good at reading these diagrams so I'm hoping one of the experts here might help! It's a 1999 if that matters.

Also, once I get the new bolt would you recommend a use loctite on it? If so, what color? There looks to be a washer in there as well - maybe a locking washer at one point? As you can tell I'm not super mechanically inclined but I'm working on it (fixed a toilet float this morning haha) and would like to address this myself.

IMG_1776.JPG

not sure if this will help you

Thanks, sunfic! That was very helpful - it turns out there's a second page of diagrams for 'Rear Door Panel & Glass' that I had to click 'view more images' to see. Using the part number in your linked post (68630D) I was able to find what I think is the correct bolt: part #90109-08295.

The only difference I can see is that this bolt doesn't have any recess for a screwdriver.

Your door check arm appears to be twisted which would contribute to loosening the screw each time the door is closed. The pivit pin should be verticle, not at an angle as yours is. The check bar also looks dry and shows signs of rust dust residue.
I'd consider replacing the check to cure the issue.

Thanks badlander - I'll take a closer look at that when I get home today. It may be OK and just looks bad in the photo. The bolt was loose in this picture so the attachment point on the body is misaligned and, as a result, the check arm is out of line. Now the check arm might still be twisted after everything is screwed down tight but I'll have to look.

As for the rust dust residue - I'm hoping that's grit and dust from some off-roading trip out west. I'm not sure how to determine exactly what it is but my LC doesn't have any body rust that I've seen so I'd be surprised if that's rust dust.

Thanks, sunfic! That was very helpful - it turns out there's a second page of diagrams for 'Rear Door Panel & Glass' that I had to click 'view more images' to see. Using the part number in your linked post (68630D) I was able to find what I think is the correct bolt: part #90109-08295.

The only difference I can see is that this bolt doesn't have any recess for a screwdriver.
Part number superseeds to 90084-10049

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom