DT Headers? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I'm considering buying a 30 foot trailer that has a dry weight of about 5,000 lbs. (rounding up). I'd like to make sure my 2001 LX470 is ready for it. So far I plan to do the cheap things, Air Lift 1,000 pound bags, fuel heat shield, and i already have powerstop ceramic, tow package cross drilled and slotted rotors going all the way around (wasn't that cheap). I was wanting to do headers, but the only place that seems to "have" them is summitracing and they're saying they'll ship August 29th... no bueno, I'll have already hit the road by then. Since the dry weight is 5,000 lbs and it needs a new water heater that I'm considering replacing with a tankless. That'll reduce some weight, and it'll just be me (I weigh 160) and some luggage. I should be well under 6,500 pounds, which I know a well maintained LX could do more.

Do you think the headers are necessary? If so, where are you guys buying them from these days?

I see two options:
1) Patience
2) Headers

Number 1 belongs in the "cheap" category. Number 2 only gets you so far down the road before you need more of number 1.

Joking aside, it looks like the following places might have headers in stock for '98-04 Cruisers. I don't have any experience with any of these vendors, can't say how good or shady they might be. Maybe someone else can chime in?
Doug Thorley Headers THY-561-SS-C Short Tube Headers Toyota1998-04 - https://www.speedshopstore.com/doug-thorley-headers-thy-561-ss-c-short-tube-headers-toyota1998-04.html
https://4wheelonline.com/doug-thourley-shortie-headers-toyota.224612.0
Doug Thorley Short Tube Headers Toyota Land Cruiser 100-Series | Lexus LX470 no Air Injection 1998-2004 | THY-561-SS-C - https://www.vividracing.com/doug-thorley-short-tube-headers-toyota-land-cruiser-100series-lexus-lx470-air-injection-19982004-p-152624858.html

Yeah as @JunkCrzr89 said not likely. But you do have a 7 pin trailer harness I bet right? Just asking and making sure.

Do you think the headers are necessary?

Like Junk said, not necessary. First of, it is not that big of a game changer. Second, it is far from cheap unless you can do it yourself. Pedal Commander or re-gearing your truck would be more beneficial for towing, in my opinion.

So I'm considering buying a 30 foot trailer that has a dry weight of about 5,000 lbs. (rounding up). I'd like to make sure my 2001 LX470 is ready for it. So far I plan to do the cheap things, Air Lift 1,000 pound bags, fuel heat shield, and i already have powerstop ceramic, tow package cross drilled and slotted rotors going all the way around (wasn't that cheap). I was wanting to do headers, but the only place that seems to "have" them is summitracing and they're saying they'll ship August 29th... no bueno, I'll have already hit the road by then. Since the dry weight is 5,000 lbs and it needs a new water heater that I'm considering replacing with a tankless. That'll reduce some weight, and it'll just be me (I weigh 160) and some luggage. I should be well under 6,500 pounds, which I know a well maintained LX could do more.

Do you think the headers are necessary? If so, where are you guys buying them from these days?

I have the headers, and yes it did give it a little, but not significant enough to make a difference pulling a trailer. I don't even notice it now with all the armor.

The next options are nowhere near cheap. Supercharge or regearing. I've towed right below 5000lbs and it's not fun going up hills.

I'll offer a slightly dissenting opinion. I have the DT headers on my 99 along with a K&N filter, and factory everything on my LX, except for king springs in the rear. I towed the same 10 ft long enclosed cargo trailer from VB to Uwharrie two years in a row with the same loadout(I have no idea of weight, but almost certainly less weight than you are pulling). Both cruisers did fine, but the major difference was that my 99 could hold 75 mph on the interstate(on flat ground) with O/D on, and the LX could not.

So, it isn't a huge difference, but enough so that I didn't have to run my engine at 3500 RPM for extended periods--this resulted in slightly better fuel economy as well--I got close to 10 mpg in my 99, and the LX got just under 8 mpg.

The LX is on 285/75/16 goodyear duratracs with sliders, ARB bumper, and winch.
The 99 is on 305/70/16 Toyo Open country A/Ts with sliders, ARB front bumper, and slee rear bumper
My guestimation is that they weigh about the same due to the my bolt-ons being heavier, but the LX having the AHC system

If I had been running at 60-65, or towing in bigger hills with the O/D off the whole time, they would have been very close to identical.

I'll offer a slightly dissenting opinion. I have the DT headers on my 99 along with a K&N filter, and factory everything on my LX, except for king springs in the rear. I towed the same 10 ft long enclosed cargo trailer from VB to Uwharrie two years in a row with the same loadout(I have no idea of weight, but almost certainly less weight than you are pulling). Both cruisers did fine, but the major difference was that my 99 could hold 75 mph on the interstate(on flat ground) with O/D on, and the LX could not.

So, it isn't a huge difference, but enough so that I didn't have to run my engine at 3500 RPM for extended periods--this resulted in slightly better fuel economy as well--I got close to 10 mpg in my 99, and the LX got just under 8 mpg.

The LX is on 285/75/16 goodyear duratracs with sliders, ARB bumper, and winch.
The 99 is on 305/70/16 Toyo Open country A/Ts with sliders, ARB front bumper, and slee rear bumper
My guestimation is that they weigh about the same due to the my bolt-ons being heavier, but the LX having the AHC system

If I had been running at 60-65, or towing in bigger hills with the O/D off the whole time, they would have been very close to identical.

Really good info and ugh. The gas mileage is just nasty! Crazy thing is getting a motor home would amount in similar fuel economy LOL. But very good info to note. To me, it sounds like that made a huge difference. 2 mpg on a 1,000 mile trek one way is a big deal. That's 2.5 less fill-ups. If gas continues to decline and I average $5 per gallon which is... ridiculous to even say, that's a savings of ~$250; and that's just one trip. I'd have to do that... about 3 times to justify the headers... which I don't see doing.
Very helpful info, thanks!

After what KliersLC said, I'm wondering if selling the extra LS430 I have lying around for an 08 Seqouia would make more sense. I was going to find an SC430 to replace that LS, but RVing sounds more satisfying.

I haven't gotten the trailer yet, but I'm preparing for a 7 pin. Doing all the work myself isn't a huge issue. I have a good amount of time on my hands these days, and super cheap bills, hence, the desire to travel for long periods.

Any suggestions on a weight distribution hitch? Also, every hitch I look for will only go to 6,000 lbs (weight dist.) and 5,000 lbs max. Are you guys, getting the same hitches and just disregarding the numbers? I'm trying to understand how some folks here tow over 7K lbs without problems. I currently have a Drawtite that was on the truck when I bought it.

For what it's worth, I have a 98 and towing my 3800lbs pop up camper can be a chore when hills and long grades are involved. Hundies can tow, there's just better tow vehicles out there. A 5.7L would make a lot more sense for loads 5k and up, whether sequoia or tundra or 200 series.

After what KliersLC said, I'm wondering if selling the extra LS430 I have lying around for an 08 Seqouia would make more sense. I was going to find an SC430 to replace that LS, but RVing sounds more satisfying.

I haven't gotten the trailer yet, but I'm preparing for a 7 pin. Doing all the work myself isn't a huge issue. I have a good amount of time on my hands these days, and super cheap bills, hence, the desire to travel for long periods.

Any suggestions on a weight distribution hitch? Also, every hitch I look for will only go to 6,000 lbs (weight dist.) and 5,000 lbs max. Are you guys, getting the same hitches and just disregarding the numbers? I'm trying to understand how some folks here tow over 7K lbs without problems. I currently have a Drawtite that was on the truck when I bought it.
A 2nd Gen sequoia will be a far better tow rig than a 100. I've kicked around selling the LX and getting one, but just can't seem to pull the trigger. I was close about 6 months ago when I came across a 2011 platinum for not much more than my LX would go for, but couldn't quite convince myself.

FWIW, I've towed with an 2007 Escalade ESV and a 2011 Expedition EL and they are both far better than the 100, and the sequoia would slot right in between them as far as power. I towed my cargo trailer behind the Expedition on a 9,000 mile trip over six weeks in 2019 with more stuff than we usually take to Uwharrie and all 7 of us in the car. It also struggled with fuel economy and freeway speeds. The 7 speed auto has two O/D gears, and it couldn't figure out how to use either of them reliably. The 08 sequoia has a six speed auto and 381/401 hp/tq--way up from the 310/365 of the Expedition, and within touching distance of the 400/400 Escalade. The best system on the ford was the automatic leveling via factory airbags--it was a really well sorted system. The auto leveling on the Escalade was via some magnetic shocks and was poor at best. I believe the sequoia has a similar system to the ford, but I don't know if it is standard on all years/trim levels. The tow/haul mode on each of those is very well executed as well--the tow/haul mode on the 100 is nonexistent.

Anyhow, all of this to say, and yet I don't have any of those vehicles because I tow 2-3 times a year and always under 800 miles round trip. I find that the extra towing capability would be wasted for the rest of the year, and the 100s tow "good enough."

So, depending on what your towing plans are, the 100 might get the job done, or you might want to get something that tows better. If it were me, I'd only install the DT exhaust if your manifolds are cracked or your exhaust needs major work.

You can buy my 2006 with an extra gear, VVTi, and DT headers/Borla exhaust already installed

The 100 can do Hell's Gate and blast through all the trails with ease and then get on the interstate and tow across country....in the slow lane. If you just want to tow across country the Sequoia 4.6 or 5.7 is better in every way.

Personally I just bought an Elate supercharger so I can do everything better.

Sell your 100 and buy a 200.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom